GMax and LOD's - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: GMax and LOD's

Icon9

Hello! As you see I'm trying to generate lods in this plane of M Shupe and MVG3d for use in CFS2. I did like the tutorial doc says in the corresponding steps and actually could do lods with another plane, but in this case I'm having problems.
    1) I do the dummy and put everything to zero as pic1.
    2) I use select and link tool and move the cursor in areas, but here the problems begin, only parts is white and selected, so I select and I link various parts as in pic 2.
    3) when I select to copy and rename the _LOD_xxx (to clone), only a part of the plane is illuminated and is selected. As this hapens, intuitively i have done is to group all parties and name them as NAME_LOD_050 , but when using the MODIFY TAB to start reducing polys, gmax crash to desktop.

What am I doing wrong in this process? thank you very much.
    Mario

I'm not sure what you are doing...
    "Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right!" Some SOH Founder.

Icon27

Originally Posted by Allen
    I'm not sure what you are doing...

Hello Allen! Well... in the gmax scenery tutorial (into gmax/gamepack/fs2004/docs folder) u will find a way to make lods from a simple model (in this tut a house)
    Following this tut , i could make lods a simple model of 1Mb , after that the model was increased to 3Mb, i ´ve exported and compilled it succefully like a multilod fs2004 model. In fact using ACM i can see the lods.

So i ´ve tried with the CANT Z 1007 trying to add lods using the same tut.
    My problems begin when i try to select the plane to clone it , and rename it as xxx_LOD_XXX .
    When i do click on the plane pressing shift at same time (to open the clone window) only a part (any part ) of the plane is selected (and not all the plane) , so i only could to clone a single part of the plane .

how can i do to clone the entire plane to rename it to a xxx_LOD_XXX?

The main gmax source is 24Mb , after make lods it goes up to 50Mb and that perhaps is too heavie source ! so that could be the reason why i have a CTD when i want to modify the polys.
    Thanks
    Mario

I am going to "stick" this thread as there is so much good info here. Thanks gents for pulling it together.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here
    Video Tutorials - Gmax for Beginners

If your trying to clone the whole plane you can drag a box around the whole plane. With the whole plane selected you can go to Edit and Clone. Click okay athe the whole plane will be cloned.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    If your trying to clone the whole plane you can drag a box around the whole plane. With the whole plane selected you can go to Edit and Clone. Click okay athe the whole plane will be cloned.
    Thank you Allen , that sounds as solution, any tut? how i do that? simply do click aroud the blue box and drag it ? is the dummy box u are talking about? What about the source weight , could that be a problem ?
    Sorry if i do too many questions.
    Cheers
    Mario

Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    Ok , I think that i got it. Now running with other troubles, I´ll let u know later.
    Thank u very much
    Mario

Icon28

Hi guys again! When i try to export from gmax to a model, i got this error log. Only happen when i try to export a multilod model.
    I am worry specially for the "error A20xx: initializer magnitude too large for specified size" issues, the others are not a great problem.
    Thank u
    Mario

Never seen that one before.....

I've seen this before though:–

....(Part Lever_Flap02) Found colinear vertices within triangle
    ( 0.008025, 0.131184,-0.102669)
    ( 0.209694, 0.131184,-0.102669)
    ( 0.108860, 0.131184,-0.102669).
    (Part windows-cockpit01) Found colocated vertices within triangle
    ( 6.916657,12.410140, 2.318307)
    ( 6.916657,12.410140, 2.318307)
    ( 7.060663,12.372863, 2.085378).
    Model units are 1024.00 units/meter
    Sorting by Material...
    Optimize Parts...
    Welding...
    Generate BGL...
    ERROR: Animation trigger emexit_pilot not found, mapped to "userdefined8"....
    The System Unit in Gmax must be set to 1 unit = 1 metre

HTH, Tom
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

Quote Originally Posted by misson View Post
    Hi guys again! When i try to export from gmax to a model, i got this error log. Only happen when i try to export a multilod model.
    I am worry specially for the "error A20xx: initializer magnitude too large for specified size" issues, the others are not a great problem.
    Thank u
    Mario
    Unfortunately, I have seen this several times over the years.

It may be related to stray vertices, too many polys, too many parts, or weird part construction, and more. Its not a specifically name error; more of a catch all for mesh issues or over-running the 65536 limits on addressable storage.

I have been fighting this issue for 3 months on the Bounty project, and sent it last week to Hairyspin for another set of eyes to looks at it.

I am hoping he sees something I do not. :-/
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here
    Video Tutorials - Gmax for Beginners

Mario,

I sent you a message. Let me know if it helps.

Milton,

Yeah currently the whole model (with the new LOD) has 135402 polys. I noticed a couple little things and thats in my message to Mario.

Its a very complex model so there is going to be issues. I don't know how you all can keep it strait. So many parts. I think I've advised all that I can. The rest is beyond me. I leave it to the Masters.
    "Courage is the discovery that you may not win, and trying when you know you can lose."-Tom Krause

My works Here: http://www.thefreeflightsite.com/JFortin.htm

Ouch! That's more than twice 64K polys, how many textures does it use?
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

We have a problem here with opaque error messages and as Milton says there are a number of possible causes. Misson may have too many polys or not enough textures, others have the System Unit other than at 1 unit = 1 metre and there's always the possibility of having borked something together with thick fingers. However there's another woodchuck in the woodpile to watch out for: scale not at 100%

I came across this again by accident because the exporter for CFS3 flags up scaling errors directly, whereas other exporters are less than explicit. How do you know if this is the case? Time to look at a little-used feature of Gmax (little used in FS developing anyway...), the Track View.

The Track View opens a window which can be chock-full of information, here for the object hull:–

and that's not all that can be shown, the list of bumf extends a lot further than this screenshot. What interests us is the Scale data (highlighted) which here is 100% on all three axes – so far so good.

To make hunting down scaling errors easier, filter the information:–

This will show only the scale information for each object:–

Last edited by hairyspin; October 15th, 2017 at 10:58.
    Tom

Now step down the list. looking at Scale values for each object in turn:–

Gotcha...

These will cause the exporter to cough.
    Last edited by hairyspin; October 15th, 2017 at 11:00.
    Tom

Icon26 Thank u !!

Thank u very much guys!! well it seems that i ´ll have new attemps!
    Thank u Hairspin for show me , how to do it!
    I´ll let you know about my progress.
    Bloodhawk, thanks for u help, i´ll keep contact with ya!
    Cheers!
    Mario

Icon28

Must be a lot of these issues! And i´ve found a lot of parts with that problem. But if we change that value , perhaps something turns wrong, because i knew about such scale in MVG models but i dont know reason why it was done in that way!
    And how to change this value?
    Thank you
    Mario

I found a few others.
    "Courage is the discovery that you may not win, and trying when you know you can lose."-Tom Krause

My works Here: http://www.thefreeflightsite.com/JFortin.htm

Hello Gents,

I have no experience in Gmax, but thought this might help.

It is mvg3d's reply as to why his model
    would not show in Aircraft Container Manager.

The mesh is 1600% bigger than the real scale in order to avoid the mkmdl's "4mm snap", ACM recognize the mesh, but cannot display the parameters and the zoom (with "A" or "S") doesn't work, for ACM the visual model is out of scale, it is indeed, but editing the "azm" and transforming the intermediate files in "bgl", then in "mdl" and editing it with AFCAD we "constrain" FS to show correctly the plane.....

mvg3d
    mkmdl's 4 mm snap ?

Dave

Edit: Found this in a search...."FS9 Unlimited Export system, shatters the 4MM Vertice distance limit, and 65,000 polygon limit."

Hello Dave,

The 4mm vertex limit for FS9 doesn't stop a model exporting, instead it mangles small parts. This is why (almost) all FS9 models don't have 3D gauges in the VC, they depend on XML-driven ones which the sim draws itself. Bill Ortis developed a way around that for Gmax but it's an awkward and sometimes unstable process. Search at FSDeveloper if you want to know more. Incompatibility with Aircraft Container Manager (an excellent third-party developer's toolset) is not the issue here.
    Tom

Resetting Scale to 100%

To cure Scaling problems is really easy especially if your model is organised in a decent hierarchy, and let's face it — for CFSx it has to be properly organised.

Select the topmost object in the model's hierarchy:–

Now go to the Hierarchy panel and click on Reset:Scale:–

Press PageDown on your keyboard once and the selection will move to the next level down the hierarchy (child objects of Hudson here), and click on Reset:Scale again. You'll see how many objects are actually selected on the Status bar at the bottom of the Gmax screen:–

Repeat this PageDown / Reset:Scale sequence until all the objects in your model have had their scale reset to 100%. Takes less time than it took to write this...

Simples!
    Last edited by hairyspin; October 9th, 2017 at 13:10.
    Tom

Hairspin Thanks for your detailed explanation. I tried smoothly, exept when exporting the model. New errors appeared, without the reset of scale, they were no problem.
    Cheers
    Mario

Members who have read this thread: 4