Question for Developers

Thread: Question for Developers

Question for Developers

I'm asking this in the hopes that some fix or definitive reason for the lack of clickability in some aircraft moving from FSX to P3D can be found. There are several things I have tried and will list here to keep those from coming up again as suggestions:
    The "FIX" described in the LM/P3D Forums for editing the default flight. . .does not fix this problem.
    Adjusting the eyepoint in the aircraft.cfg file (up, down, fwd or backward) does not fix this problem.
    Switching from windowed view to full screen and back again does not fix this problem.
    In the P3D Display Options settings, turning off "Reflections" does not fix this problem
    In the P3D Display Options settings, turning off "HDR" lighting does not fix this problem

To be specific, this affects all manner of clickability to include switches, levers, dials, push buttons, gauge adjustments and so on. It's as though there is an invisible plane between the pilot and the instrument panel that's impenetrable. So. . . .any thoughts? lol

Quote Originally Posted by falcon409 View Post
    I'm asking this in the hopes that some fix or definitive reason for the lack of clickability in some aircraft moving from FSX to P3D can be found. There are several things I have tried and will list here to keep those from coming up again as suggestions:
    The "FIX" described in the LM/P3D Forums for editing the default flight. . .does not fix this problem.
    Adjusting the eyepoint in the aircraft.cfg file (up, down, fwd or backward) does not fix this problem.
    Switching from windowed view to full screen and back again does not fix this problem.
    In the P3D Display Options settings, turning off "Reflections" does not fix this problem
    In the P3D Display Options settings, turning off "HDR" lighting does not fix this problem

To be specific, this affects all manner of clickability to include switches, levers, dials, push buttons, gauge adjustments and so on. It's as though there is an invisible plane between the pilot and the instrument panel that's impenetrable. So. . . .any thoughts? lol
    First let me say that I do NOT have Prepar3d so this post is for info only.

I had a very similar problem in FSX that was self induced and was able to fix it myself. I did not like the distance in spot view of many of my aircraft so I used the RADItor utility to correct the radius of the model and thus could move the spot view distance to a much shorter one.

However, at some point, the VC clickability would cease to work, completely! Then I would go back to RADItor for that model and INCREASE the radius by a very small amount and the VC clickability would return.

This is probably not the same problem as you have, but I supply this for additional information. You could always try the utility to see if it makes any difference. Just a wild shot in the dark.

Phill

Link to RADITOR: http://www.fsdeveloper.com/wiki/index.php?title=RADItor

Thanks....I hadn't thought of that, and it doesn't seem like that would have any affect on the VC, but I'm willing to try anything at this point. Problem is, it doesn't want to "read" anything I load. Keeps telling me that the mdl was not of the expected format.

RADItor will only read and fix FSX and P3Dv1.x .mdl files. I think Arno has added the ability to read and fix P3Dv2 .mdl files now as well.

Does the "mouse hand" appear at all, or do you see nothing at all when hovering on a supposed click point?
    Bill Leaming
    3d Modeler Max/GMax
    C & XML Gauge Programmer

Military Visualizations
    http://milviz.com

Intel® Core™ i7-3770k 4.2GHz - Crucial 16GB DDR3 - Dual Radeon HD770 1GB DDR5 (Crossfire) - Eco II Watercooling - Win7 64bit
    Intel® Core™ i7-2600k 3.4GHz - Crucial 8GB DDR3 - NVIDIA EVGA GTX-770 SC 4GB - Win7 64bit

Quote Originally Posted by n4gix View Post
    . . . . . .Does the "mouse hand" appear at all, or do you see nothing at all when hovering on a supposed click point?
    There's nothing bill. No mouse hand and no indication of any sort that there's something there to click.

If you are running P3D V2.1, have you installed the Hotfix1? http://www.prepar3d.com/forum-5/?min...ewtopic&t=5696 The download link is in the first post by WBard. Not needed for V1.4 or V2.0.

Hope this helps.

Lyn

Quote Originally Posted by Mazo View Post
    If you are running P3D V2.1, have you installed the Hotfix1? http://www.prepar3d.com/forum-5/?min...ewtopic&t=5696 The download link is in the first post by WBard. Not needed for V1.4 or V2.0.

Hope this helps.

Lyn
    Yes it was installed the day it was released.

SOH-CM-2014
    The land where dust is manufactured and people are high temp tested!
    Hmmmm... Interesting. Some of the switches in my latest prototype plane have stopped working, no mouserect, no animation. But its with only a certain set of switches. I am going to try this view distance trick, but for now, I am really stuck on the fact that switches that worked fine a couple of days ago aren't working now, when switches right next to them work fine. Ed, do 'some' of the switches work in the plane? Have you tried them all? Some far away, some near? Bill LHC
    Humble Poly bender and warrior of Vertices

Alienware Console i7 3770 CPU 3.40 GHz / 16 Gigs of RAM / GTX660 GC w/2 Gigs of VRAM / Windows 7 64 Ultimate
    Running 3X Samsung 840 SSD HD's, 200 Gig each, 500/500 Read/Write

Thanks for replying Bill. Nothing works in the cockpits this affects. I can move over every switch, every button, every lever. . .anything that even remotely appears to be functional and I get nothing.

For those that are interested in this 'no vc clickability' issue, it not only happens in P3D v2.1 BUT also in v1.4 - YET in FSX things work fine...

I've run across several different scenarios tho;

Sometimes this issue just effects the main panel alone whereby if you roam around the rest of the cockpit things will work fine !! Sometimes this issue effects the whole vc cockpit !!

I've been told that maybe the cause was in the 'coding' of the instrument - or the switch - or whatever. WELL, you can use the SAME instrument, and same switches etc in other aircraft AND they work fine - IN THE SAME SIM !!!

I've been told that maybe the cause was the program used to make the aircraft was different. WELL, IT'S the SAME aircraft made by the SAME person USING the SAME program - all where just trying to do is use it in a different sim!!! Things work fine in FS9 and FSX BUT P3D is a NO-GO !!!

Kind of reminds me of that clear plastic film that they put on the glass of some electronics items to protect the glass from getting scratched etc - and you can't figure out why things are working a bit strange in some cases until you realize you have to peel it off !!!! Apparently LM has put an invisible film in the 'vc' section of their sims whereby on certain aircraft / cockpits / panels we just haven't figured out yet how the peel the film off.............

Bill

Next question: is the affected aircraft a native FSX model, or is it an FS9 (single .mdl) aircraft?

Many of the A:vars and K:events that were noted as deprecated in FSX are no longer supported at all in P3Dv2.

For example, anything that uses the ENG1 or ENG2 syntax are now ignored. The correct syntax requires a :index to indicate which of the ENG controls is being selected.
    Bill Leaming
    3d Modeler Max/GMax
    C & XML Gauge Programmer

Military Visualizations

Intel® Core™ i7-3770k 4.2GHz - Crucial 16GB DDR3 - Dual Radeon HD770 1GB DDR5 (Crossfire) - Eco II Watercooling - Win7 64bit
    Intel® Core™ i7-2600k 3.4GHz - Crucial 8GB DDR3 - NVIDIA EVGA GTX-770 SC 4GB - Win7 64bit

Quote Originally Posted by n4gix View Post
    Next question: is the affected aircraft a native FSX model, or is it an FS9 (single .mdl) aircraft?
    Many of the A:vars and K:events that were noted as deprecated in FSX are no longer supported at all in P3Dv2.
    For example, anything that uses the ENG1 or ENG2 syntax are now ignored. The correct syntax requires a :index to indicate which of the ENG controls is being selected.
    Bill, thanks for looking into this. The offending aircraft are all FS9 (single mdl) aircraft. Yet, within a single developers models. . .some work and some don't. It doesn't affect "all" aircraft of that type and I've found no connection that ties the non-functional aircraft together.

I guess this closes the conversation. I was hoping for a solid fix, but moving from FSX to P3D this was probably inevitable. Thanks to Bill Leeming for his expertise and insight. Moving on!!

There has been some conversation with the folks at L-M about restoring some of the deprecated XML tokens they have now eliminated, but I don't believe any of them will include any of the previous FS9 XML tokens.
    Bill Leaming
    3d Modeler Max/GMax
    C & XML Gauge Programmer

Military Visualizations

Members who have read this thread: 35