Compatibility prepar3d 1.4 with 2.1

Thread: Compatibility prepar3d 1.4 with 2.1

Compatibility prepar3d 1.4 with 2.1

hi, i would like to know if a model built for prepar3d 1.4 works also with 2.1 version, i mean contact points, aircraft.cfg mdl, and also folder structure - simobjects - etc. for setup installation it is the same.Actually i don't have funds for a new computer and win 8 and i need to know this.

Answer is 99.9% YES - provided you have followed the SDK and did not use any "special trick".
    There are some differences in rendering of special effects (.fx) files and minor differences in the visuals (due to the new graphic engine)...
    My models (F-14D, T-45C, F-35 and the upcoming S-3B), created for FSX, work flawlessly in P3Dv2.
    Also, I've been told there may differences in SimConnect interaction.

Long story short, compatibility is really good - almost 100% granted, but there may be very unlucky exceptions.

Dino, I also noticed differences in the effects rendering, do you know what the exact differences are (code) ? I have everything here, from effects not showing at all to light smoke where dark should be.

Before I start to tinker arounf it would be nice to know where or what to look at.

Cheers,
    Mark
    My scenery development galleries:
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/x0skkam7xu8zz8r/DFwnonB1nH

Solomon 1943 V2 Open beta download: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/download...on-1943-V2.zip
    Solomon 1943 V2 update 2013-02-05 download: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/download...2013-02-05.zip

Current Project: DHC-4 / C-7a Caribou by Tailored Radials
    Dev-Gallery at https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qjdtcoxeg...bAG-2V4Ja?dl=0

One other difference as mentioned by John Venema over at Orbx is objects using Object Flow are not working in P3D v2.1. This is the process that allows objects to move. An example seen in the new "Tail of Two Airports" (Redding and Benton) is at the dog park next to Benton Airfield, the folks walking the dogs don't show in P3D v2.1. None of the other people or objext using Object Flow are there at all. Orbx has commissioned a programer to solve this problem but as John mentions he hasn't be able to get it done yet. This is why Orbx has some of their scenery on hold making them P3D v2.1 compatible. Once this is solved new installers will no doubt be published.

I just about dropped my coffee cup when I flew into Benton Airfield and saw the dog park with the people and dogs walking around. I live just up the street from the place and see folks walking their dogs all the time.
    Regards, Tom Stovall KRDD

SOH-CM-2014
    The land where dust is manufactured and people are high temp tested!
    Quote Originally Posted by stovall View Post
    One other difference as mentioned by John Venema over at Orbx is objects using Object Flow are not working in P3D v2.1. This is the process that allows objects to move. An example seen in the new "Tail of Two Airports" (Redding and Benton) is at the dog park next to Benton Airfield, the folks walking the dogs don't show in P3D v2.1. None of the other people or objext using Object Flow are there at all. Orbx has commissioned a programer to solve this problem but as John mentions he hasn't be able to get it done yet. This is why Orbx has some of their scenery on hold making them P3D v2.1 compatible. Once this is solved new installers will no doubt be published. I just about dropped my coffee cup when I flew into Benton Airfield and saw the dog park with the people and dogs walking around. I live just up the street from the place and see folks walking their dogs all the time.
    I thought they had fixed this. Perhaps its only a fix for the models side and the code parser.
    Humble Poly bender and warrior of Vertices

Alienware Console i7 3770 CPU 3.40 GHz / 16 Gigs of RAM / GTX660 GC w/2 Gigs of VRAM / Windows 7 64 Ultimate
    Running 3X Samsung 840 SSD HD's, 200 Gig each, 500/500 Read/Write

Quote Originally Posted by Lionheart View Post
    I thought they had fixed this. Perhaps its only a fix for the models side and the code parser.
    If it only was this easy. It's about their ObjectFlow module which controls conditioned appearance/disappearance of objects, thus effecting all the other "Flow" modules. You don't wanna see people in shorts running around in winter. Or take the impressive vegetation of Misha's latest publications of Vernonia and Sekiu... you don't wanna see that lush grass in winter either. Everything that makes OrbX airports "alive" depends on this module.
    Unfortunately this module was made by a third party and so far they couldn't get it to run with P3D2. Latest news is that they managed to make objects appear under a defined condition but couldn't get objects to disappear.
    P3D v4.5, DCS, AF2
    W10 64bit Pro
    Core i7 6770K @ 4,3 GHz
    32 GB DDR4 2666
    RTX 2080 Super 8 GB
    Oculus Rift S
    Cable 1000 Mbit/s

Sorry for the late reply...
    In terms of aicraft modeling, it is difficult to highlight all the differences but this is what I have seen:
    - Some .fx effects embedded in the model do not show (this is why I went for "modeled" effects in the latest versions of my aicrafts)
    - Some .fx effect render incorrectly: they do not rotate and/or have different transparency rendering (in general they are LESS transparent)
    - Transparency effect (i.e. glass etc.) seem to render slightly less transparent... not sure if it is due to the new lighting or what.
    - The new lighting engine, on my machine, seem to induce a slightly different color to the model...but this happens to be more realistic.

This is what I see...I am not sure what is changed/fixed with the updates, as I already modified my models.

Biggest problem, IMHO, was that version 2.1 "out of the box" had issues with some .XML - mistakes that were forgiven in FSX and previous versions, were then counted as errors and the code behaved improperly. This seems to be fixed with the recently realeased hotfix (which replaces all the .dll files).

The which of course is not a "get out of jail free" option...

...a prudent developer will actually use the new reporting log to find and fix the 'syntax errors.'
    Bill Leaming
    3d Modeler Max/GMax
    C & XML Gauge Programmer

Military Visualizations
    http://milviz.com

Intel® Core™ i7-3770k 4.2GHz - Crucial 16GB DDR3 - Dual Radeon HD770 1GB DDR5 (Crossfire) - Eco II Watercooling - Win7 64bit
    Intel® Core™ i7-2600k 3.4GHz - Crucial 8GB DDR3 - NVIDIA EVGA GTX-770 SC 4GB - Win7 64bit

Members who have read this thread: 23