Douglas A2D-1 SkyShark Uploaded

Thread: Douglas A2D-1 SkyShark Uploaded

Douglas A2D-1 SkyShark Uploaded

Finally! I uploaded my version of the Douglas A2D-1 to flightsim and simviation this afternoon. It is already available at simviation and should be at flightsim tomorrow.

The A2D-1 was developed as a turboprop replacement for the iconic AD Skyraider series. It was somewhat larger, faster and could carry a heavier weapons load. It was a real beast coming straight at you! Unfortunately, the Allison T-40 series turboprop ran into many development delays mostly regarding reliability of the gear box which prevented the Sky Shark from being ordered into full production. It was the end of the line for prop driven attack aircraft for the US Navy. The Navy went with smaller jet powered craft for the attack role, most notably the Douglas A4D.

This is a native FSX Acceleration model. It has all the usual features plus folding wings, operating tail hook, etc. The main textures are 2048 x 2048 DXT5.DDS format. The VC includes a combo of a VC light effect and back lighted gauges for night operations. The gauges are a combination of default and other freeware gauges . I have put them all in a single .cab file for convenience. The sound file is really a matter of choice since I could not find a file for the Allison T-40. I included a C-130 sound file which I found to be very noisy as I believe the real one was quite raucous. Most of the reference material I used came from the book "Naval Fighter #43, Douglas Skyshark A2D Turbo-Prop Attack" by Gerry Markgraf.This included info on colors, general specs, cockpit arrangement, and weapons loadouts. Please note I have modeled the production version, not the XA2D-1 There are significant differences, for instance the production version had many more weapons hardpoints and the sliding portion of the canopy was smaller. I have included two models, one clean and one with a typical weapons load.

I have added the ARS4 Radar to both the VC and another window because it is a little small to see in the VC. This gauge was developed by Dietmar Loleit and is unique in that it can track either AI aircraft or ships. It also can guide you to a refueling aircraft which is a feature I didn't add to this project since the A2D-1 didn't have in-flight refueling capability. I recommend you download and try this gauge in other aircraft. The instructions in the download are excellent and the installation is easy. At least read the instructions to see how this gauge operates and how versatile it is. Just search on ARS4 Radar at flightsim.com. I believe it is available elsewhere but I haven't looked. The VC installation includes the control panel which is located at the back end of the left hand console. It is small in that location but everything works. I added the gauge to the Main Window where it is larger and easier to read and manipulate.
    PLEASE NOTE! If you want to operate it in the VC it must be opened in the following sequence nor it will not show motion. Go to the toolbar at the top of FSX and click on Views>Instrument Panel>Main Panel. Now go back to the toolbar and click on Views>Instrument Panel> ARS Radar. Now turn on the power and set range and other parameters as desired. You might want to start with the range set to 10 or 20 miles to see traffic. I am willing to discuss the installation of this gauge but not the workings of the gauge itself. Those questions should be directed to the gauge designer. I have installed it in this aircraft (and two others) according to his instructions and it works as advertised.

Best, Paul
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ground.jpg   Dude.jpg   carrier.jpg   radar.jpg  
    Last edited by PutPut; March 4th, 2014 at 15:46.

Woohoo, thanks Paul! OMW, to go get it now.

Excellent, Paul! Thank you! I'm looking forward to flying this beast. ; )

Quote Originally Posted by gecko65 View Post
    DUUUUUUUUUUDE!!!

YES! Look Ahead!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails front.jpg  

Thank you,Paul!
    Mike

SOH-CM-2014
    The land where dust is manufactured and people are high temp tested!
    Great work Paul! I do not remember seeing one of these before. Nice choice of planes.
    Humble Poly bender and warrior of Vertices

Alienware Console i7 3770 CPU 3.40 GHz / 16 Gigs of RAM / GTX660 GC w/2 Gigs of VRAM / Windows 7 64 Ultimate
    Running 3X Samsung 840 SSD HD's, 200 Gig each, 500/500 Read/Write

Quote Originally Posted by PutPut View Post
    YES! Look Ahead!
    That is one powerful dude! Cruising around at 200kts with the throttle waaaaay back! And it pretty much needs to be hooked up to an arresting wire on startup! A big thanks - I appreciate your work

Members +
    Blog Entries
    BRAVO ZULU!
    What a nice surprise to come home to. A gorgeous model, Paul, just the thing for those Jeep Carriers; nearly VTOL at light weights. (Thinks: have you given any though to re-milling your Pogo?) Some repaints on the way, I'm hoping some more talented repainters wade in too.
    Way to much fun. Thank you Sir, shes great!

[SMOKESYSTEM]
    SMOKE.0 = -8.7, -2.40, -1.40,FX_SEA_VENOM_SMOKE.FX
    SMOKE.1 = -8.7, 2.40, -1.40,FX_SEA_VENOM_SMOKE.FX

uses Rob's Venom smoke, or which ever you like.
    Attachment 5186Attachment 5187Attachment 5188Attachment 5189

And the 'back of the envelope' sketch
    Attachment 5190

Thanks Paul,

Downloading it now, looks interesting.

Taff.
    The grass is always greener on the other side...

But, it's just as hard to mow!

Members who have read this thread: 107