Microsoft Security Code

Thread: Microsoft Security Code

Microsoft Security Code

Maybe someone has an answer for me.
    Yesterday I got a notice from Microsoft when I went to log on to the internet.
    It said I had 6 days to put in a security code," if you want to ignore it and go to the internet, click here."
    Today the same thing happened and I now have 5 days to put in a security code.

Both yesterday and today I tried to get the code from Microsoft, it asks 'Where do you want the code sent to?"
    The choices are 1. Send to your E-mail address
    2. Send to the cell phone number they have listed.

If I say "send to my e-mail address", it then says "enter the code we sent to your e-mail address". The only way I can check my e-mail to check for a code is to shut the computer down and start it again.
    When I check my e-mail, there is nothing from Microsoft.

If I say "Send the code to the cell phone", it says enter the code we sent to your cell phone". But the cell phone never did ring.

I will probably get the same thing tomarrow saying I now have 4 days to enter the security code.

After the six days is up without sending them a code, I guess I'll have to try to get Microsoft on the phone when I can no longer get on the internet at all.
    Anyone gone through this before?

I have to ask; are you really really sure that the notice is actually from Microsoft?? It sounds a little bit suspicious to me

Best,
    Myles

Blog Entries
    it is a scam do not fall for it

read this from M$
    http://www.microsoft.com/security/on...cy/msname.aspx
    Look What I Have Become!

Blog Entries
    Look What I Have Become!

Charter Member 2014 HighGround22's Avatar
    Yeah, it sure sounds more than a little "phishy" to me!
    -Jon
    -------------
    If you try to fail,
    and you succeed,
    which have you done?

Blog Entries
    go here and get a free scan and removal
    http://www.f-secure.com/en/web/labs_.../removal-tools
    Look What I Have Become!

Thanks for your thoughts so far.
    I don't know why I didn't even think it could be a scam. It was not sent as an e-mail.
    I will probably get another notice on Thursday when I try to get onto the internet.
    I'll have to pay more attention to it next time it shows up.

Whoever sent it has my wifes cell number. One reason I thought it was from Microsoft is that they do have our cell phone number that was used to set the password that does work.
    I guess it does seem strange that they now want a security code on top of the password.

I've been using Norton 360 for a couple of years now and if this is a scam, as far as I know, this is the first one that they have let though.
    I'll see what happens Thursday morning.

Blog Entries
    do not give them your credit card number, you will be broke, lol
    Look What I Have Become!

I went through the same thing today, I now have 4 days to get the code. I spent about 10 minuets going through what is on the screen, as far as I can tell, it is from Microsoft, it even has a link to Microsoft explaining the security code and why they are doing it. The code can be sent as a text to our cell phone, my problem is I am not even sure our cell phone is set up to receive text messages, I have never sent or received a text message, it doesn't interest me. The only other way to receive the code is to send it to my E-mail address, When I click "Send code to E-mail", it immediately changes to another screen that says "Enter the code sent to your E-mail". I cannot get off of that screen to check my E-mail to see if a code has been sent. I have to click " Go to your home page, you now have 4 days to enter your code". When I open my E-mail, there is nothing from Microsoft. It's crap like this that makes me want to just use the computer for flight simming only. Unfortunatly, the internet is where I buy and download planes. I really hate getting on the phone and spending an hour trying to get this straightened out.

Coastie Dolphins/Spartans CG_1976's Avatar
    Strange, my computer is a W8.1 64 and in the control panel action center I have an area that says Verify your ID on this PC and is linked to my MS Account which controls some of W8 feature's and security. Me thinks a telephone pole in India at MS burned down again lol. We have a MS OS IT visiting tomorrow and I'll see what the scoop is on this if he has the time. IT's can be fickle sometime's lol.

AMD FX 8-Core Black 4.2Ghz, 8G Ram 2TB HD, W8.1 pending W10, ATI R5 2G X2 Crossfire
    http://www.canadianarcticfse.com/

Seems like a pretty obvious scam. Consider instead running every antimalware program you have including FSecure's online scan, all while in Safe Mode. Chances are afterwards the countdown will vanish. You can also try to contact MS by phone to find out what you are dealing with. Any security changes will come via MS Updates anyway, never by email, and in 20+years of geeking I've never heard of a MS code or password. Searching MS email scams I also came up with this:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/21549...ty_update.html

Good luck.
    W10-64 Pro, 3GHz, 16GB Ram, AMD Radeon HD 5570

I just spent over an hour with the online Microsoft Support.
    This is not a scam, Microsoft is cracking down on hackers and are now requesting a security code on top of the security password.

After trying to explain what was going on, they asked what the phone number is on record with my account. I gave them the cell number and they said they do not have any record of that number.
    I asked if they have no record of that number, then why do they give that phone number as one of the ways I can request to get the code?
    In the end, they said they could not help me online and gave me the Phone number for Microsoft Customer Support.
    I'm too fed up with them right now, will call them on Friday.

I am confused, I don't know that I have a MS account or a security code. Could someone explain what is going on?

Do your self a favor and do not call any number they provided to you.

Call MS directly here is their support number information

https://support.microsoft.com/gp/con...mer_serv?&fr=1

Contact Microsoft Customer Service

Microsoft Customer Service agents are available to answer your general questions regarding Microsoft products and services, licenses and more.
    See all worldwide customer service phone numbers.

1-800-Microsoft (642-7676)

Weekdays

5 A.M. - 9 P.M. (Pacific Time)

Weekends

6 A.M. - 3 P.M. (Pacific Time)

TTY: 1-800-892-5234
    Contact Microsoft Technical Support

For product support please select your product from our directory to contact a Microsoft Support Professional by email, chat or phone.
    To me it sounds like you have an unwanted visitor in your PC who is baiting you.

ASUS TUF F17 Gaming Laptop
    17.3" 144Hz Full HD IPS-Type
    CPU 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11800H @ 2.30GHz 2.30 GHz
    Ram CORSAIR Vengeance 32.0 GB DDR4 3200
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6GB

The number they told me to call is 1-800-642-7676 as you suggested.
    Maybe Microsoft is getting a little nervous with all the NSA spying going on, just tightening their security.
    If I ever get through to this number on Friday, I'll find out what's going on, if this is a scam, I'm sure Microsoft knows about it.

If someone is trying to scam me, they already have my e-mail address and cell number, I've had no problems with the computer.
    I would think they would have done whatever they were going to do by now rather than give me 6 days to get a code from Microsoft.
    I Googled "Microsoft Security Code", many people have gone through what I'm going through now. They seem to have gotten results by going through MS Support. If this were a scam, I'd think Norton and the other Anti-Virus programs would be blocking it by now. In my 4 years of using Norton, I've never had any problems with the computer.

My problem has finally been fixed. It turned out that this was not a scam, it is actually Microsoft tightening up their security.
    We got a new cell phone about two months ago and although we never use it, assumed that it would receive text messages like our last phone was able to do.
    I kept trying to get Microsoft to send me the code and it kept saying to insert the code that was just sent to me. I finally got online to see how I was supposed to work the text messages, it turned out that if we wanted to be able to use texting, it was a $2.50 per month extra that we did not have. Called the cell phone provider and had texting added.
    I went back online and had Microsoft send the code to the cell phone and it was there within a few seconds, put the code in and everything is working again.

`The problem was with me, not Microsoft. Although this turned out to be a pain in the ass, it nice to know that Microsoft is trying to make it harder for hackers to get into their customers computers.

Members who have read this thread: 56