Scenery Problem(Global), Help Needed!

Thread: Scenery Problem(Global), Help Needed!

Scenery Problem(Global), Help Needed!

Big question for the Scenery and Trouble Shooter gurus. Recently I downloaded and installed the FTX Iceland demo. After trying it and discovering there was a nagging issue with FPS lag/surging around some Iceland city landmarks I decided to uninstall the demo. Before doing so, I wanted to see if there was a way to optimize that scenery to get it performing better so I opened up the FTX Central and began looking at the options. There I saw in the tools section the Flush Scenery Indexes selection. Thinking this option was limited to FTX products and similar to emptying the scenery cache on exit from FSX, I pushed that button in addition to deselecting the "Use Orbx Trees, "Hybrid Mode" and "Vector Road Lights". Soon after, I began to notice odd scenery anomalies with scenery textures and with some addon airport elevations. I have a fairly large mix of freeware and payware scenery packages worldwide but mainly fly in North, Central, and South America. In the below screen shots, you can see odd water textures on top of mountains and mismatched seasonal texture squares in addition to one payware airport(SEQU-Quito) which is well below ground level which wasn't before. I Oddly, this only seems to affect the North Coastal region of South America, parts of Panama, mountains near Sao Paolo, Brazil. I am sure there are other areas but I haven't checked everything world wide, only my main flying region. So far as I can tell, North America doesn't seem to be affected and most of South and Central America seem unaffected as well. I have tried to restore back to before the incident but to no avail and reinstalling the scenery in the affected areas didn't help. Question is, what is going on and is this a reversible issue without having to reinstall everything? Seems I saw folks here report similar issues and I'm trying to get a handle on things hopefully avoiding flushing FSX and doing a reinstall.
    Attachment 95076Attachment 95077Attachment 95078Attachment 95079Attachment 95080Attachment 95081Attachment 95082

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

FYI, I am not using FTX Global, GEX, or any payware mesh/enviros. All freeware enviros(sky, light, clouds, and water

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I posted with the same weird screenshots this exact issue on Orbx's forums years ago - I think 2011 (re block textures and ocean mountains)

It only ever occurred for me with FTX Central - cannot remember the details now actually but I remember the solution for the textures side.

In my case:
    - numerically some textures were missing (I know because on the same 1gb hard drive i keep a separate backup of my FSX using Cobian Backup - luckily!) and I simply selected and found out many were missing, at the time I believed also some were wrong textures somehow.
    - from my backup I simply pasted back all the textures
    - problem solved 100%, nearly 2 years later still all good (but I haven't flown in Orbx areas since then)
    - but block textures remain only if I boot up FTX Central and try an Orbx area.

However on the elevation side - I never had that problem - wow!

Hope that helps a bit.

Thanks for the info. I actually have a backup of FSX and tried the texture replacement but to no avail. I did copy & paste the main texture folder, the addon scenery texture folder, and all the main Scenery individual texture folders (but not overwriting textures). I went into FTX Central and unchecked the Use Orbx Trees, Hybrid Mode, and Vector Road Lights and below are screens of what resulted. There's no doubt in my mind that this is connected to FTX but any ideas or expertise here will be graciously reviewed before I land over there on their forums to attempt to get this sorted.
    Attachment 95098Attachment 95096Attachment 95097Attachment 95095

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Can i ask this:

What happend if you do a repair with original discs from FSX? I had this once, and did a repair, and it went away, but that might not be your case here, but its worth a try. If that don't help, i would try to de-activate any ORBX in library and see if that helps. Try disabling the ORBX scenery in settings. But not sure if this will help, its a place to start.

H.H.

In my case I had to overwrite the textures....hope that helps.

I would set FTX to default first then copy and paste overwriting because that is what worked for me.

I had the exact same anomalies along the western hills of Mexico and Costa Rica....wierd water and big orange "FALL" signs. In central England, the villages, towns and other autogen were replaced with what looked like muskeg with some big fir trees sticking up...uninstalled the Iceland demo, and all is back to normal.
    Terry

Thanks guys!

I followed everything noted here except the FSX repair option(I am leery of using that as it seems to cause more havoc than happiness for some). What did get fixed from the efforts was that the labeled red & green textures seen in the last shots are gone and most of the scenery looks normal but there are the few spots (in mostly mountainous terrain) that the water textures still appear out of place as well as off season or misaligned textures. I still think my using the Flush Scenery Indexes option in FTX Central caused this and barring some miracle fix find, I'm probably hosed on this and will need a fresh FSX install. If the latter ends up being necessary, it is okay, I have everything fully backed up and listed for a moderately quick turnaround to get back in business. As it stands, FSX is totally usable and looks normal in most locations that I fly. I'm going to give a yell over at the freeway support side at Orbx and see if they have any additional advice.

Thanks again!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

SOLVED!!!!!!

Good news! After checking in the Orbx freeware support forums, I found a couple of posts and one in particular that seemed to mirror my problem. As I suspected, it was tied to the Iceland Demo but for whatever reason, the issue turned out to be errant entries in the Terrain Cfg file in the main FSX folder. I decided to completely delete and then uninstall all Orbx freeware items from FSX and then verify that the Terrain CFG file was clean of all Orbx entries. After that, I started FSX and checked all the problem areas and everything is 100% fixed!

I hope some of you bookmark this thread in case any other members run into the same problem. I could save them a lot of headaches and prevent an unnecessary uninstall/reinstall of FSX.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Aha...so the problem is not only pasting back the textures but also fixing the terrain.cfg !

Well done and thanks for reporting back to all.

I will have a look at mine myself.