Framerates!! - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Framerates!!

Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    I'm almost sure you can make LODs for aircraft with use of Model Converter X, MakeMDL and gMax. You would need to use Model Converter X to export the model as FSX Object X File. Save the Exterior as Plane.X and Interior (VC) as Plane_interior.x Save a copy of the Exterior model as a .3ds that gMax can open so you can make lower poly verson from it.

In gMax you can import the .3ds file you saved from Model Converter X. You will have to do lots of work since none of the Animations or breaking parts (if used) are imported. When you have the LOD done use MiddleMan or MDL Commander that allows you to save the X files from gMax or use Model Converter X on your new LOD and convert it to an .X File.

Now MakeMDL. Put all of your X files into the same place.

Load the main LOD into the Imput File box. (Plane.X) and the Interior must be saved as Plane_interior.x. LODs must use Plane_###.x If you plane has 4 lods like I make mine it will be Plane_075.x, Plane_050.x Plane_025.x and Plane_010.x

The LOD Tab should show that the Interior and all of the LODs were loaded when you selcted the main LOD that went into into the Imput File box. (Plane.X)
    Ok Allen! I´ve done that before but I had troubles with animations , I´m not a patient man, it is one of my personal limitations. Gmax is not a intuitive program. In my real life , is my work to develop technologies and some times with a team work , create them, and when i come back home , i just give me up. Yeah I know.....! nothing is too easy. Perhaps in scasm it is !
    So please Mav ! what you mean with scasm?

If you use 100, 75, 50, 25, and 10 LOD set up (100 is full close up detal) by LOD 50 and lower the only things that really needs animation are landing gear and maybe the canopy. When you do the LOD landing gear you really don't need to do moving shocks.The gear just has to look down from afar.
    "Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right!" Some SOH Founder.

If you use 100, 75, 50, 25, and 10 LOD set up (100 is full close up detal) by LOD 50 and lower the only things that really needs animation are landing gear and maybe the canopy. When you do the LOD landing gear you really don't need to do moving shocks.The gear just has to look down from afar.
    u right allen, but also to the 3ds source , we need to texture it and animate it , and all this in the second lod, but u right any way. in the way as u said sounds not so dificult! I really apreciate the encouragement from u! :salute:

.... I see you've taken the easy way & taken up Gmax, way easier than scasm i'm told.

All the best & Good Luck!

BTW... this hurricane , i did nearly 5 yrs ago... sooooo it's quite old news. :P

CheerZ mav

With .3ds texture mapping and material is saved. Animation and smoothing are lost but smoothing is easily fixed. Material will need some work. The texture name get messed up (c47_dakota_t.bmp will be C478A4~1.BMP) but it isn't hard to go into the material and assign the right texture names.

If the polygon count is not above 7000 you may be able to use the main full detal model to make LOD 70 by deleting things. After that is is likely you will need to scrach make low polygon parts and replace stock high polygon parts. Horizontal stabilizer wings, tires .etc

If your above 7000 8000 polygons it best to scrach make an LOD 70 that is 4000 to 3000 polygons. LOD 50 should be 1700 to 1500 polygons. LOD 25 should be 900 to 800. LOD 10 should be 300 or less.

With .3ds texture mapping and material is saved. Animation and smoothing are lost but smoothing is easily fixed. Material will need some work. The texture name get messed up (c47_dakota_t.bmp will be C478A4~1.BMP) but it isn't hard to go into the material and assign the right texture names.

If the polygon count is not above 7000 you may be able to use the main full detal model to make LOD 70 by deleting things. After that is is likely you will need to scrach make low polygon parts and replace stock high polygon parts. Horizontal stabilizer wings, tires .etc

If your above 7000 8000 polygons it best to scrach make an LOD 70 that is 4000 to 3000 polygons. LOD 50 should be 1700 to 1500 polygons. LOD 25 should be 900 to 800. LOD 10 should be 300 or less.
    This all sounds good if your making a new ac... but , when making an existing model that's already made and weighing say 5.72 MB ORG fs9, which is what Robert Sanderson's Tin Opener is ... how much bigger is this end up being????

The scasmLoD version weighs in at 5.78 MB and that's converted to cfs2 as well.

Probably a stupid question... i don't make the things ...

CheerZ mav

Worked fine when I re-did the Virtual Navy SB2U Vindicator. The KB will go up if you add LODs. LODs are more models the game has to load. How much it will go up depends on the the poly count of the LODs added.

Worked fine when I re-did the Virtual Navy SB2U Vindicator. The KB will go up if you add LODs. LODs are more models the game has to load. How much it will go up depends on the the poly count of the LODs added.
    so this should reduce framerates? (more lods to load)

Yes you get more framerates. The Hurricane posted a page back is polys 61,380. I think the B-24D has the most of any stock aircraft at 9,000+ polys.

Quote Originally Posted by misson View Post
    so this should reduce framerates? (more lods to load)
    This should increase framerates... as well as increase mdl size depending on LoD size or detail contained.

Yes you get more framerates. The Hurricane posted a page back is polys 61,380. I think the B-24D has the most of any stock aircraft at 9,000+ polys.
    Yeh, it is 61,380 polys ... but the main detailed 3 LoDs are all original ...they just call less of the main LoD each time,just added two last ones, very lite poly , which didn't even come to 1kb,which i really didn't have to add could of made it to call a wheel nut or sumtin... but hey it was 5 yrs ago... so it's very efficient too... and packs a punch for sumthin that used to fly like a lead weight

Quote Originally Posted by mav View Post
    This should increase framerates... as well as increase mdl size depending on LoD size or detail contained.
    Yeh, it is 61,380 polys ... but the main detailed 3 LoDs are all original ...they just call less of the main LoD each time,just added two last ones, very lite poly , which didn't even come to 1kb,which i really didn't have to add could of made it to call a wheel nut or sumtin... but hey it was 5 yrs ago... so it's very efficient too... and packs a punch for sumthin that used to fly like a lead weight
    Hey Mav, what system u Have? seems a powerfull machine (more than 300frames/p/s):mixedsmi:

Quote Originally Posted by misson View Post
    Hey Mav, what system u Have? seems a powerfull machine (more than 300frames/p/s):mixedsmi:
    Think it's a russian job... runs on plutonium !!! LoL

Here's a shot of normal hurri... can ya see any difference???

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Think it's a russian job... runs on plutonium !!! LoL

Here's a shot of normal hurri... can ya see any difference???

Hey mav! .. russian work.. Haha! u make me laugh!

But I´ve always wanted here to ask about What LoL does mean?

LoL = laugh out loud!!!

LOL!!!!

LoL = laugh out loud!!!

LOL!!!!
    I understand now, indeed i´m still laughing! It seems we have not russians friends

If it works thats good.

If it works thats good.
    meh... gets the lead out.

This is new just sorta finished... don't like the pilot much in this, might change it...