Animation & Key Frames: FSX/P3D - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Animation & Key Frames: FSX/P3D

I got it!!! Had the link "BACKWARDS" it works now I have the link between the Trimtab and the Elevator instead of elevator to trimtab.
    Thanks so much!! Tom. I will drop you an email to the address you sent from the other week.
    Hey if you like, you are more than welcome to join us on line too. My FSX server "Oz Flight Simulations" IP is 120.146.148.82 and you can also connect to our Teamspeak 3 Server using the same address.

FS Animation got me beat.

Hi Tom,
    Followed all your nicely detailed instructions to the best of my ability.
    Acquired FSX Gold with accelerator, installed SDK SP1 and Accelerator SDK into what I hope are the correct folders.
    Gamepacks in Gmax seem to be working.
    Created Key frame animations for wheels and rotors on my test model "box"
    However, when I try and tag the animations using the FSX Animation tool, the create button (marked in blue on image) does not work.
    See the image http://cabs4u.co.za/images/Capture1.jpg
    I checked the Animation Dialogue script which seems in order. See Below

rollout AnimationDLG "Animation Dialog" width:600 height:398
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    -- FlightSimX New Animation Manager
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    button createAnim "Create" pos:[370,165] width:90 height:20 toolTip:"Creates a new animation for the selected part without keyframe offsets."
    button deleteAnim "Delete" pos:[480,165] width:90 height:20
    edittext newFramesStart "Start" pos:[370,190] width:88 height:20
    edittext newFramesEnd "End" pos:[480,190] width:88 height:20

I have probably done something stupid or missed something somewhere
    Any suggestions?
    Bruce

You have some kind of Windows interface problem. The Create and Delete buttons are supposed to be in the darker gray area above the keyframes (1 to 100) and below the light gray box where the animation name will appear after clicking the Create button. In your screen shot there is no space for those buttons above the keyframe number boxes. Do you have the Windows font size set to something other than default? Something like that? Perhaps your monitor resolution is set too low?

SOH-CM-2023

FSX Gmax prop animation problem

Sorry to resurrect this topic, but I am at last starting to make FSX native models having successfully achieved installing the FSX SDK for SP2 -(for some reason FSX + A will not work!)
    So I have imported my latest FS9 Gmax model into FSX Gmax, & have followed Hairyspins tutorial above - very good, easy to follow for what is a fairly complex sequence, but, when I come to try it out in FSX only the still blades show for all the modes (slow & blurred), they also reverse direction depending upon revs & the initial start rotation goes in the opposite direction to that animated.
    I have managed to reanimate most control surfaces & undercart, but wingfold is being awkward at the moment.
    Texture/mapping is next hurdle - must read the SDK again & again to get it to sink in......

Any assistance/ useful suggestions appreciated.
    Keith

Are you sure you have your visibility tags set correctly Keith? You need three sets of components for the prop(s) (still, slow and blurred) and the parent part for each set needs to have the correct visibility tag assigned to it.
    Larry

SOH-CM-2023
    Larry,
    Thanks for responding.
    I think I have done all three correctly, but I did notice that after clicking 'attach to geometry!' that in the 'Attach Name' window above that button was 'undefined_0'.
    But that is redoing 'prop0_ blurred' as an aide to answer your question.... Hairyspins example shows nothing in that box.
    Does not having the blades or discs mapped/textured make a difference?
    Regards
    Keith

Quote Originally Posted by Dev One View Post
    Larry,
    Thanks for responding.
    I think I have done all three correctly, but I did notice that after clicking 'attach to geometry!' that in the 'Attach Name' window above that button was 'undefined_0'.
    But that is redoing 'prop0_ blurred' as an aide to answer your question.... Hairyspins example shows nothing in that box.
    Whatever appears in that box is unimportant as far as I can tell, I just accept what it says and move on.

Does not having the blades or discs mapped/textured make a difference?
    It makes no difference whether the part is mapped or textured when it comes to adding animation or visibility tags.
    Larry

Keith, animating props, and other FS9 standard animations, is addressed in my video of "Converting FS9 Models to FSX Native".

Pull up video and go to 41 minutes into it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tm25MYd_G0o

Hope this helps.

BTW, the Attachpt tool does add a name tag to these, and they are normally names like "Undefined 0", 1, 2, etc.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here
    Video Tutorials - Gmax for Beginners

SOH-CM-2023
    Milton, Thank you for the link, I had already printed off your document some time ago & read it through, which is how I managed to animate the controls & undercart, but I had forgotten about your video presentation, which I think I have done the prop as you describe, but I will try again. I will also play further on for the texture mapping.
    So thank you again.
    Keith

[edit]. Have re animated & re-attached prop as per Hairyspins document & Milton's video - no joy I'm afraid still have only the prop blades showing for all phases of speed - up to 8 blades showing jerkily. Start & stop rotation in wrong direction also.
    K
    Last edited by Dev One; January 16th, 2018 at 01:50.

Keith,

1) In Gmax/Max, select each of your prop spinners or hubs one at a time;
    2) Go To EDIT/Object Properties;
    3) Go to User Tab and view the text to ensure you have attached the correct Visibility tag for each spinner (i.e prop0_still/slow/blurred)

If not, simply highlight and Delete the text and go back to the Attach Point tool and redo the Visibility tag properly.

And, animate the spinners in teh direction the props should turn.
    If they show backwards in the sim, ensure you do not have this statement in the aircraft.cfg/Propeller section, else remove it:

rotation = 1, 1, 1
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

SOH-CM-2023
    Milton here are the readouts in FSXGmax:
    Prop_blurred properties=
    FSXML = <?xml version= "1.0" encoding= "ISO-8859-1"?> <FSMakeMdlData version="9.0"> <Visibilty name="prop0_blurred"> </Visibility> </FSMakeMdlData>

Similar for Prop_slow & Prop_still.

Just wondering & uninstalling FSX Acceleration & trying to re-install FSX SP2. Have got it to SP1, but its throwing up at SP2 - maybe because my laptop was at SP2 standard but using the basic FSX disc, whereas my desktop has FSX Deluxe + SP1 at the moment (was Delux+Acceleration). Found that Acceleartion will not allow wingfold to work whereas SP2 will allow wingfold to work. My SDK is SP2.

Prop rotation is -1 Brit engine! Gmax rotation anti clock from behind, but in FSX it goes t'other way!

Keith

SOH-CM-2023
    Update, Having written about lack of success, (have now deleted it), Murphy jumps in & in retrying the models in FSX with another models .cfg that changed the rotation direction, guess what --- prop animation now works OK!!! Didn't do that yesterday!
    The other glitch I have is that the flaps are visually reversed with respect to position seen in the FDA. Just tried swapping the zero position for the 100% position & that doesn't work either - it just puts the zero position further down!
    Does any of this ring bells? Have yet to associate with flaps reversed.

Keith

Milton here are the readouts in FSXGmax:
    Prop_blurred properties=
    FSXML = <?xml version= "1.0" encoding= "ISO-8859-1"?> <FSMakeMdlData version="9.0"> <Visibilty name="prop0_blurred"> </Visibility> </FSMakeMdlData>

Similar for Prop_slow & Prop_still.

Just wondering & uninstalling FSX Acceleration & trying to re-install FSX SP2. Have got it to SP1, but its throwing up at SP2 - maybe because my laptop was at SP2 standard but using the basic FSX disc, whereas my desktop has FSX Deluxe + SP1 at the moment (was Delux+Acceleration). Found that Acceleartion will not allow wingfold to work whereas SP2 will allow wingfold to work. My SDK is SP2.

Prop rotation is -1 Brit engine! Gmax rotation anti clock from behind, but in FSX it goes t'other way!

Keith
    Keith,

Do not use rotation command in the cfg. Always animate props in direction they turn (from front viewing rearwards).
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Update, Having written about lack of success, (have now deleted it), Murphy jumps in & in retrying the models in FSX with another models .cfg that changed the rotation direction, guess what --- prop animation now works OK!!! Didn't do that yesterday!
    The other glitch I have is that the flaps are visually reversed with respect to position seen in the FDA. Just tried swapping the zero position for the 100% position & that doesn't work either - it just puts the zero position further down!
    Does any of this ring bells? Have yet to associate with flaps reversed.

Keith
    Keith,

Flaps at frame 0 should be retracted; frame 100 is fully extended.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

SOH-CM-2023
    Yes Milton, same as in FS9, but somehow its got its ni**ers twisted....shall go experimenting again. I usually animate all controls through 90° so that the values visually & aero wise are then controlled through the .cfg. Just wondering as I write if the L_flaps_percent operates differently to L_flaps?
    Keith

SOH-CM-2023
    Prop rotation - that explains the direction problem - thanks, its different in FS9.
    Keith

SOH-CM-2023
    Flaps sorted at last!!! There are 4 options for each side listed in the makmdldefs. I was using L_Flaps_key, now looking at the .xml in the defs file it has a scale of -1, a bias of 50 with grads as units. Thats what was giving me reverse action. So I have now got it correct using L_Flaps_percent_key, which has a scale of 1, 0 bias & percent as units.
    My usual method of animating flaps to 90° in FS9 does not work in FSX, so have had to animate to the desired max angle when at frame 100. The config values then correctly set the visual & aero values in degrees.
    Next object is to get the wingfold sequence correct, it is folding but not in the correct order ( touch of Morecome& Wise with Andre Previn for those UK readers of a certain generation)
    Then onto Textures......after some of Nigels tuition!
    Thanks for reading & replying folks, most useful.
    Keith

SOH-CM-2023
    Animation sequence sorted - again slightly different from FS9 - at least the way I did it - all parts must start from frame 0 regardless of start motion frame.
    Keith

Animation sequence sorted - again slightly different from FS9 - at least the way I did it - all parts must start from frame 0 regardless of start motion frame.
    Keith
    That is a fact Keith, as stated in my FS9 to FSX Native gMax conversion tutorial here available as a .pdf and as video.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...Native-in-Gmax
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

SOH-CM-2023
    Old dogs - new tricks problem Milton......I had read that but it didn't sink in as I always started FS9 animations at 0 but could then slide the marker along to put a delay in - doesn't work in FSX as I now know.
    Keith