Craig and Matts F4 Pantom Project - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Craig and Matts F4 Pantom Project

The model looks very nice indeed, but to be honest I am surprised to see a new Phantom project as that plane isn't exactly a "rare bird".

I realise and accept that FS works this way, with multiple takes on the big classics overshadowing lesser known aircraft; but I admit I would have been more excited at something a bit different (F-101 Voodoo?).

Still, good to see Rara Avis are off to a dynamic start! :salute:

Owen.

Quote Originally Posted by FentiFlier1 View Post
    The model looks very nice indeed, but to be honest I am surprised to see a new Phantom project as that plane isn't exactly a "rare bird".

Owen.
    Could you please give us a list of all the other FSX native Phantoms and where to find them?

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Sieggie View Post
    Could you please give us a list of all the other FSX native Phantoms and where to find them?

Dave
    I think he is refering to Phantom projects, of which there are at least 3: Craig&Matt, Alex&Jamal and A2A. The latter one being the most anticipated but also the one farest away. I suspect that A2A's announcement of a Phantom 5 years ago is the reason why we still don't have a native Phantom by now. Looks like other developers now realized that an accusim'ed F-4 is probably still years away (with A2A having C172, PA28 and F-104 in the pipeline ahead).
    P3D v4.5, DCS, AF2
    W10 64bit Pro
    Core i7 6770K @ 4,3 GHz
    32 GB DDR4 2666
    RTX 2080 Super 8 GB
    Oculus Rift S
    Cable 1000 Mbit/s

I believe that UKMIL has the British F-4s on its drawing boards somewhere, too.
    Probably the Leuchars-based FG.1, at least to start with.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Sieggie View Post

Dave

:mixedsmi: Quite right sir, I get your point.

There might be several planned but there is still no native FSX Phantom. And as others have said there is no guarantee there will be - so A2A have left a hole in the market and it is perfectly fair game for other developers to fill it.

One thing's for sure, I wouldn't mind a Phantom but I'll only buy one!

The ph phour was the most iconic and phabulous phiter of the era. Very nice indeed!

T

Time for an update....

Its always a big moment when I get to try one of my models in FSX for the first time... especially so when it involves carrier launches and recovery's. This is the first build Craig has sent me and there is obviously a long way still to go. The Pajama suit colours are easier for us to use in the early stages of development... I know they look hideous but never mind. I'm really looking forward to seeing a painted version with Bump and spec maps etc although that's a way down the line. I have done the decal artwork for the first paint though... a VF84 N Phantom. A lot of other progress has been made that is not evident.... Craig has added an awful lot of detail and I've done a few additional things too... I was never quite happy with the shape of the Nose IR probe so I redid that with some references that I didn't have when originally making the mesh. I also found the N introduced a fixed Slat on the leading edge of the elevators so I built and added that. Some of the fantastic detail Craig has added I will show you at a later time.

Matt

Attachment 93450

Attachment 93451

Attachment 93452

Attachment 93453

Attachment 93454

Attachment 93455

Attachment 93456

Attachment 93457

Oh, that's nice. Can't wait.

Dave

Matt, can I offer a suggestion with the model?

I know this is very early on, but with most USN F-4s, they often flew with only the centerline fuel tank when operating from the carrier. Granted there were exceptions where the wing tanks were flown (or all 3), but I've found that it was not as common.

The Royal Navy however, was the opposite. It was very regular to see them with the wing tanks.

Looking great and enjoy seeing it advanced toward release.

Thanks!
    Jeff
    I pass gas!

Its early days but we're hoping to have the payload configurable, so you'll be able to put on the plane what you want to.

Matt

I wondered why whenever I look for this thread the search engine never finds it... I spelt Phantom wrong in the title... sorry about that. Is it possible to edit that? I haven't figured out a way yet.

I don't want to get too far off topic but I just wondered what Pantom (I mean Phantom) era carriers are available to use with AI Carriers. The above pictures show the Team SDB Enterprise which is truly excellent but its not really Phantom era. I've got the Oriskany... just wondered if I'd missed any others.

Matt

something about the shape of the nose.......looks too narrow??? Also, I think the sidewinders might be the wrong variant for the B/C model era?? I could be wrong....don't get me wrong guys./.....I love that this F-4 is being done....just trying to help.

No longer active
    Quote Originally Posted by skyhawka4m View Post
    1.something about the shape of the nose.......looks too narrow???
    2.I think the sidewinders might be the wrong variant for the B/C model era??
    3.I could be wrong
    1. On Craigs F-4 or the one in your drawing?
    2. Furthermore looking at the drooped ailerons I'd say it's not a B, hence the Sidewinders are correct
    3. Indeed

Skyhawk...Craig and I have considered a lot of sources as to the look of the F4 and I would say overall we are happy with what we have come up with. I'm amazed at the variations I see in scale drawings and colour profiles for example... Its hard to believe some times its the same subject matter. I thank you for sharing your thoughts Skyhawk but I think we will have to agree to differ on this one. I must admit I will be glad to see the model as a textured version because the multi colour appearance does rather act like disruptive camouflage in breaking up the shape... perhaps that is affecting the way you perceive it? BTW the model is meant to be an -N...we haven't been looking that closely yet as to what would need changing to make it a -B.

Bernt... Looking forward to trying the FDE you've done. I did the Ejection seats this week so I'm just waiting for Craig to put it all together in a new build.

Matt

No longer active
    The FDE is coming along very nice. Just sent a few remaining detail questions concerning BLC which are not covered in the manuals to an ex Phantom phlyer....

Sounds great Bernt

Skyhawk... your comments prompted me to check a couple of things and I did spot something to do with the way the fuselage blends into the missile recesses so as long as Craig is agreeable I will make an adjustment.

Matt