Success! EA-6B landing

Thread: Success! EA-6B landing

Success! EA-6B landing

After touch and go practice at PHNL I figured out the appropriate power settings and controls for a stabilized approach. The photos and video show the final results.

Attachment 90507
    Attachment 90508

Not bad for a start
    The EA6-B is a bit tricky to land at carrier, if you do not correctly lined up with the carrier it tends to flip over, as you show in the vid.

Was that replay or direct recorded with Fraps? I still did not managed to record a video with Fsrecorder at which the carrier was at the correct position :tgun2:.
    English is not my native language, so please be generous if I write funny things :-)

​Nice trap! NC

Quote Originally Posted by maikchaos View Post
    Not bad for a start
    The EA6-B is a bit tricky to land at carrier, if you do not correctly lined up with the carrier it tends to flip over, as you show in the vid.

Was that replay or direct recorded with Fraps? I still did not managed to record a video with Fsrecorder at which the carrier was at the correct position :tgun2:.
    The recording was with FRAPS during the trap (no replay). I edited it with Adobe Premiere which I have through work.

Yes, I need to work on getting it lined up better. I was practicing stable approaches and used the carrier as a serious test.

Anything with an aircraft carrier involved works for me <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><input jscode="leoInternalChangeDone()" onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();} else{setTimeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

I enjoy flying carrier ops with the Intruder and the Prowler because of their speed brakes. Those speed brakes (for me, at least) really help control airspeed on final approach to the ramp! NC

According to my father-in-law who started his Navy career in the back of EA-6B's, they always land with the "boards" out. I believe this is about the need for higher engine power allowing faster spool up time for power increase if needed.

Quote Originally Posted by mfitch View Post
    According to my father-in-law who started his Navy career in the back of EA-6B's, they always land with the "boards" out. I believe this is about the need for higher engine power allowing faster spool up time for power increase if needed.

Correct

If you need more power, it is always faster to retract the speedbrakes then pushing the throttle forward to give more thrust. Precisely because of the spool-up time of the engines.
    Unfortunately, for many aircraft in FSX this does not matter, the available power is too fast, because the engines spool-up is much too fast in sim. A aircraft where it is well implemented would be for example the Lotus-Sim L39 Albatros.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Warren View Post
    Anything with an aircraft carrier involved works for me
    Carrier-ops work for me also included the VLSO, ILS.
    The only thing that does not work is a replay where I land on a moving aircraft carrier. With the FSX instant replay AI traffic is not displayed. With FS Recorder the carrier is in the replay always in the wrong position, that is further forward than when in my landing. Can someone please explain what needs to do is make it work properly?
    English is not my native language, so please be generous if I write funny things :-)

Members who have read this thread: 0