On the slipway...Majestic class??? - Page 5
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: On the slipway...Majestic class???

First of all we need to wait for the final Majestic class model! I know Lazarus is working on it. Some small fixes.

For Karel Doorman I believe the current majestic class model will work just fine. There are more similarities between the Majestic and Colossus and than differences (they are after all closely related). Of course almost all of the angled deck modified Majestic and Colossus got different island structures during refits over their service life, but for the deck layout they are pretty similar. KD had maybe the most radically modified island of them all.

Best regards
    Jens-Ole
    Repainting since FS5..

Quote Originally Posted by JensOle View Post
    First of all we need to wait for the final Majestic class model! I know Lazarus is working on it. Some small fixes.

For Karel Doorman I believe the current majestic class model will work just fine. There are more similarities between the Majestic and Colossus and than differences (they are after all closely related). Of course almost all of the angled deck modified Majestic and Colossus got different island structures during refits over their service life, but for the deck layout they are pretty similar. KD had maybe the most radically modified island of them all.
    I agree sir. :salute:

Just wondered, Has anyone considered doing a deck repaint for INS Vikrant (R11) would be interesting to see her in early 80's fit with STOVL markings but no jump when she was operating Harriers Seahawks a full compliment of Helo's and the Alize!

.Attachment 93777
    Above during late 60's-70's
    Attachment 93780
    ...Later in 1984. note the two Seahawks (unknown mark) just aft of sea harrier flight.

Hooky:salute:

Interesting! The flightdeck looks very similar to Melbourne in her original layout. Can you research some hi res pics showing the details?

Best regards
    Jens-Ole
    Repainting since FS5..

Already crashed a few Sea Harriers...

Best regards
    Jens-Ole
    Repainting since FS5..

I'll see what I can dig up to be honest the Vikrants a bit akward to find photos of Pre ski jump era alot of the images from her earlier days that i can find online are b/w and not very good quality but I'm sure I can come up with something .

great work so far btw.

Hooky:salute:

There is a youtube video of Vikrant and it actually has a lot of footage from this period showing at least parts of the deck up close.

Best regards
    Jens-Ole
    Repainting since FS5..

Attachment 93839

[FLTSIM.8]
    TITLE=INS_Vikrant_84
    MODEL=
    TEXTURE=Vikrant

Enjoy!

Best regards
    Jens-Ole
    Repainting since FS5..

Best regards
    Jens-Ole
    Repainting since FS5..

Thanks for than Jens, I still find it incredible that the kept the Sea hawks on till the 80's, fantastic Aircraft. now we just need Steve Beeny to bless us with an FSX model i believe he said it was in the pipeline a while ago. the FS9 one's still good enough for me right now. I think your right btw by the looks of it the flight deck started life early Melbourne style then had the straight deck STOVL markings and possibly the blue grey run off and helo spots added later.

Yes, very interesting with the composition of the IN airwing. It must have been a maintenance nightmare with so many types on a very smal ship.

For the deck paint it looks like they painted it all green (no grey angled landing deck) when they introduced the centerline markings for Sea Harrier take offs. They removed the heli spots as well judging from the picture.

Best regards
    Jens-Ole
    Repainting since FS5..

If anyone uses the RFN TACAN gauge adding this entry to the Gauges/RFN_Carrier.xml file will add the Majestic class carrier to the mix. These are for the Melbourne but changing the "Carrier Name=", "Sim_Name=", and "Frequency=" lines will change it to another in the class. The frequency is just one that was available among my carriers.

<Carrier Name="HMAS Melbourne (R21)"
    Sim_Name="HMAS_MELBOURNE_CVL"
    CarrierType="1"
    Frequency="113.10"
    Language="US"
    RunwayAngle="6.4"
    GS_Angle="3.6"
    ILS_Xcoord="1.00"
    ILS_Ycoord="14.70"
    ILS_Zcoord="-80.00"
    TCN_Xcoord="14.50"
    TCN_Ycoord="39.80"
    TCN_Zcoord="16.50"
    Sim_Name_Helo="none"
    Helo_Bearing="0"
    Helo_Distance="0"/>

The runway angle of 6.4-degrees is based on measuring the angle of the painted centerline stripe. However, according to wikipedia the deck angle was 5.5-degrees. Measuring the angle of the cable attachment points along each side and across the deck comes up with a rangle of 6.3 to 7.4-degrees. I figure 6.4 is good enough since it is the visual reference and I don't really use the ILS function of the gauge for these old carriers. So in this case these ILS numbers are mainly used by the LSO function of the RFN gauge to tell you if you are off course and need to make adjustments. Feel free to tweak these and report back if you like.
    :ernae:

Great stuff Frank!

A very sharp observation regarding the angle of the deck. I was myself a bit amazed to see that it must be a difference in angle because where the centerline started and ended (compared to the main deck). bird view pics shows that Melbourne had a slightly less angled deck compared to Bonaventure. At least my pics shows that. A good guideline have been both the centerline and where the outer "danger" line of the angled deck pass and exit on the forward left side of the deck (just by the catapult). Vikrant looks to have a layout closer to Bonaventure.

Best regards
    Jens-Ole
    Repainting since FS5..

Almost forget that we have one more majestic here. Thanks sir. :salute:

Attachment 93981

Attachment 93839

[FLTSIM.8]
    TITLE=INS_Vikrant_84
    MODEL=
    TEXTURE=Vikrant

Enjoy!

Jens,

I'm searching a Vikrant! Did you ever upload this one?

Cees

Hey Guys,

Do you know what ever happened to the 1950-60 repaint version of the HMAS Melbourne? I remember that in the early versions of the Majestic model this repaint was included, but in the recent version 4+ updates the 1950/60 version is no longer included in the package.

Is it still available somewhere to download?

Cheers,

Randy

Majestic class carriers pack available?
    http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=81650&dateline=141228  2824