On the slipway...Majestic class???
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: On the slipway...Majestic class???

Members +
    Blog Entries

On the slipway...Majestic class???

I Hope! Heading west for a couple of weeks in a few days, so loaded the lap top with the latest revisions of various tools, photo files, drawings, and the first couple of sketches. Still figuring out the best way to model the hull. The bows could be a real poly-hog depending how one tackles it. Crosses fingers! And I'll have to do a Mackenzie or a Rustyguts. Pick the easy projects, eh?
    Attachment 88781

You've been at the Bonnie for what 5 minutes and you've caught up with my Melbourne
    Bout time the Razbam Banshee had a proper home though

Craig
    "Thou shalt maintain thine airspeed lest the ground shalt rise up and smite thee"

Blog Entries
    Looks great, Laz!!!

So what refit period are you modelling - '57 or '68?

Looking forward to this!!!

Best,

DL

Pearl Harbor Project developer
    Excellent news.... can never have too much navy!! :salute:
    crashAZ- Virtual Navy
    [SIGPIC]http://www.sim-outhouse.net/images/rtwr2013/rtwr2013_sm.png[/SIGPIC]

Ran across this vid a while back and just remembered about it... figured you guys would appreciate it

Craig
    "Thou shalt maintain thine airspeed lest the ground shalt rise up and smite thee"

Thanks for the link fallenphoenix1986 .. 13 minutes into the film .. landing the Tracker on the deck seemed so docile, I'll post this at www.nzff.org , i no people will be very interested as well .
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><input jscode="leoInternalChangeDone()" onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();} else{setTimeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><input onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();} else{setTimeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

No problem. Theres another couple on there, should be in the related video links, one for Maggie and another for Warrior.
    I'd been looking for footage of the Banshees coming aboard for years before I found that nugget, and your right the S"'s really do just seem to bump onto the deck rather than slamming aboard. Should be plenty of footage of Aussie and Dutch birds coming aboard the Melbourne and Karel Doorman as well.

Craig

Members +
    Blog Entries
    Attachment 89778

Nice videos, those. I recall some CBC footage of a Tracker landing aboard Bonnie that used to run with the National Anthem at sign off time. The story went that the CBC cameraman filmed the landing-big arsed 135mm wet film camera in those days-then wanted to film a cat shot. Everybody in earshot said 'the acceleration will smash the camera into your skull. Do not do that.' He did anyway, and came away with a broken nose and a pair 'o shiners. They never ran that bit of footage!
    Test export now that the hull and flightdeck is shaped in. Now things pick up speed. I guess(to start with) that we should end up with a 'generic' Majestic class rather than any given ship, as they were all different in details. More as it comes, but she's crocking along now!

Members +
    Blog Entries
    Attachment 89782

redrew the forecastle a couple of times, I think that's it now. Scale check at 700x80 over the flight deck.

Was lucky to have served aboard teh HMAS Melbourne just before she was scrapped, and even luckier to have bought a camera so have a few photos. She was a bit ragged and worn, could only land trackers and choppers, the Skyhawks only did touch and goes occasionally.We once went to action stations, took a while for us to get there, did a second run not an hour after, but gave up since we could not seal the ship due to hatches being rusted and jammed open, but still despite her age she was a delight to serve on, best time I had in the navy next to teh DDG's.
    Intel 4790K @ 4.8GHz , 16 Gig Cas 10 2100 MHz ram, Nvidia GTX 970, 4Gig Video, Windows 7 64 Bit, Gigabyte GA Z87X-UD3H

Can't wait to plant a Banshee on her
    Landing on the bigger ships has gotten a tad to easy.

Craig

Members +
    Blog Entries
    Cheers, me to! 80ft wide, I believe that if you executed a perfect 3wire, you had a whole 5 feet to spare between the starboard ESM can and the island.
    I just hope it does not disappoint, but it is starting to look like a Majestic!
    Cutting holes the hull, refining the sponson shapes

Attachment 89797
    Attachment 89798

Quote Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
    Cheers, me to! 80ft wide, I believe that if you executed a perfect 3wire, you had a whole 5 feet to spare between the starboard ESM can and the island.
    I just hope it does not disappoint, but it is starting to look like a Majestic!
    Cutting holes the hull, refining the sponson shapes

Attachment 89797
    Attachment 89798
    What carrier are you doing now? HMCS Bonaventure (CVL 22)? or HMAS Melbourne (R21)?

Members +
    Blog Entries
    The first will be a generic angledeck Majestic-between Bonnie and Melly. I cannot see a reason not to do both. But. Rivet counters be warned. I'm a eyeball type modeler, heavily informed by lots of kitbashing and scratchbuilding, so I'm of the 'looks good from six feet' school. The dimensions are accurate to the half inch, though, and scale and porportions look good, and its still well under a meg, so far so good. Launch and builders trials soon, I'll wager.

Attachment 89836
    Attachment 89837
    Attachment 89838

Hi Lazarus,

Are you going to make an axial (Straight) deck version, so that these can be painted as Colossus class Light Fleet Carriers? Or will it just be angled deck ships?

Cheers,
    Craig.
    Craig Tatley
    No DC-3 without the DC-2

http://www.dc2-fs.com/

Members +
    Blog Entries
    The model is all in modules so any variant can be done easily. I am doing a straight deck though.

Attachment 89868
    Attachment 89869
    Attachment 89870
    Attachment 89871

Quote Originally Posted by SADT View Post
    Hi Lazarus,

Are you going to make an axial (Straight) deck version, so that these can be painted as Colossus class Light Fleet Carriers? Or will it just be angled deck ships?

Cheers,
    Craig.

Hi, Craig
    You already have a straight version Colossus class carriers here ... http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...ar-TG-Launched

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
    The first will be a generic angledeck Majestic-between Bonnie and Melly. I cannot see a reason not to do both. But. Rivet counters be warned. I'm a eyeball type modeler, heavily informed by lots of kitbashing and scratchbuilding, so I'm of the 'looks good from six feet' school. The dimensions are accurate to the half inch, though, and scale and porportions look good, and its still well under a meg, so far so good. Launch and builders trials soon, I'll wager.
    Quote Originally Posted by lazarus
    The model is all in modules so any variant can be done easily. I am doing a straight deck though
    Hello Laz,

I'm a bit confused, as an earlier post said "generic angle deck". Is there indeed an angled deck somewhere in the mix? Hoping so - but will happily take whatever comes down your slipway there in Chilliwack ... is the plan to float it down the Fraser? LOL

DL

Members +
    Blog Entries
    A straight deck Majestic looks pretty much identical to the proceeding Colossus. Its a few feet higher in the hanger, and a foot or overall and heavier. The main difference was the Colossus was built to merchantile standards, the Majestic was built to Admiralty standards: HT steel, warship grade water tight compartmentalization, torpedo protection scheme, Armoured instead of protected magazines, staggered boiler and machinery spaces. The converted angledecks, except for basic hull all different from the hanger deck up!
    So, I'll start with a angle deck that is mostly an amalgam of RAN and RCN layouts and features, and end up with a generic angle deck light fleet, followed by the straight deck.
    Attachment 89961
    Attachment 89962
    Attachment 89963
    Attachment 89964

Blog Entries
    Thanks - that makes sense.

DL

It is already starting to look very good! Thank you for taking on this model, it is much appreciated.

I really enjoy flying from the smaller angled carriers and I'm sure taking the shooter aboard will kind of be the ultimate test of you carrier landing skills.

Best regards
    Jens-Ole
    Repainting since FS5..

Quote Originally Posted by JensOle View Post
    It is already starting to look very good! Thank you for taking on this model, it is much appreciated.

I really enjoy flying from the smaller angled carriers and I'm sure taking the shooter aboard will kind of be the ultimate test of you carrier landing skills.
    Totally agree sir. :salute: That would be fun and great challenge to land on these light carriers.

Members +
    Blog Entries
    FIGS. All the accel features worked on the first try, but I got the flight deck textures orientation off. Dumb, up and down, I know that. Clippin' along.
    Attachment 90043
    Attachment 90044
    Attachment 90045
    Attachment 90046