Fairchild 24 Series is away!
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Fairchild 24 Series is away!

SOH-CM-2014
    The land where dust is manufactured and people are high temp tested!

Fairchild 24 Series is away!

In honor of Fathers Day, I am releasing my latest girl, the Fairchild 24. The main reason for this release is that my Dad had one and so this is also for him.
    As you might know, the Fairchild 24 was born in the 1930's. The famous Industrial Designer Raymond Loewy was hired to design the interior and appointments of
    the 24 which he equipped it with automotive details, like car door handles, roll down windows, plush interiors and comfortable seats like you would find in a
    nice automobile.

During WWII, a version for duty was created called the Argus. Many of these were shipped over to Europe, and some remained here (in the USA) as coastal patrol
    spotters. They were able to carry 2 100 pound bombs and they had some success in spotting German U-Boots.

The 24 has a strong, welded steel tubing fuselage frame and is finished off with wooden runners top and bottom to give it a nice shape. The tail section leading
    edges were wood covered and the wings featured wood ribbing with a heavy duty Spruce wood spar, and all covered in fabric/Dacron.

There were many engine versions for the Fairchild, but mainly the in-house built, straight six Ranger engine (inverted as well) and also the Warner Super Scarab
    radial engine. In our recreation of the 24 Series, which is based on the time where tons of surplus engines and planes were made available after the war, the
    planes are fitted with top of the line engines. The Ranger is a 200 HP model and the radial is the 165 HP Super Scarab.

There are quite a few planes in this package. Kind of a crazy amount. 37 in total. These also include float models. OlderthenDirt twisted my arm and I
    relented and made a float version for both the radial and Ranger versions. The many variants have all various interiors to match the exteriors. Some are
    prestine, rebuilt, super extravagent interiors with leather and wood laminated panels. Others like Blue Louise are work horses that have spent their lives in
    the mountainous regions of Washington, Idaho, Canada, and Alaska. They will have some interiors that are in need of some pretty strong TLC. Blue Louise for
    instance sports changed out control surfaces, one in yellow (rudder), one in primer (left aileron) some duct-tape patch work here and there, and some amazing
    paint work of 'mud'. The yellow 'Tango' model is fading fast, alot of its top surfaces eroding to the primer base underneath. The military United States Army
    Air Corps Ranger model is in nice condition, recently gone into duty, where the radial version Argus has alot of chips and bits. They all feature different
    paintwork on the panels, so each is a totally different plane.

I have stories for each of them, but wont bother you with this now. For now, it is released and they need homes.

I am not the best modeler, so you might find blemishes or flaws. I could not get the radio dials to function properly on the antique Narco Mark 12 radio. They
    work, but do not rotate. I tried for 2 months to get them to rotate. At one point, the COM knobs rotated, but the NAVs never did. Forums had no answers. The wind sound on the windows and doors turns off immediately when you go to close the windows and doors. (Yes, the windows roll
    down).

But all in all, they are fun planes to fly. Wayne who did the Piper Pacer airfiles also did the 24 Series and really prides himself over the engines. I should
    let you know now how they run. The Scarab radial needs to run in the green, which is about 1700 RPM. It can do much more, but 1700 is what it should be doing in
    normal cruise. The sound will make you think its idling, but that is what it is. It will put you at 120+ MPH. The Ranger will need to cruise at 2100 RPM and
    this should also put you at about 125 MPH. You can overspeed the planes, getting into the 140 MPH range, but you (in normal reality) could ruin your engines and
    so it could be costly. Getting the radials serviced with an overhaul could cost you alot, back then and now.
    There are no 'engine failures' to bring you down to Earth early, so enjoy that bit of luxury.

NOTE: There is a manifold gauge. DO not use this for engine speeds. The prop is fixed pitch, so there is on use for using the MAP gauge for speeds. Tachometer is for that in these planes.

I prided my newly learned technique of 'cutting' rib edges into the surfaces of the fusealge and wings, something I learned with the Robin. But on the F24's,
    they were almost invisble at noon sun, so I added ribbing shading and highlights. The interiors are now shaded with 3DS Max. Pretty amazing program.
    There are 2 paint scheme version paint kits at my webpage for the Fairchild Series, as well as a interior pack. I recommend doing interiors for these. If you
    have a request for one of the paint schemes in PSD, let me know and I'll put it on the server and send you a link. They are 'huge' downloads though, so you are
    warned.

No manuals in PDF format. This is a built in manual again, located in the cockpit; popup is Shift-6 and a kneeboard is Shift-7.
    I pray there are no bugs in these. I soaked the planes in bug killer for over a week. We tested them hard. One might surface, so if one does, we'll get on it
    as soon as possible. It might be several days as we should wait to see if there will be any other bugs that surface. Hopefully not though.

On my website is a section that explains how everything works as well as things people might think are bugs but arent. FSX has limitations that Prepar3D doesnt
    seem to have issues with, so we had to do what we could to get things working in FSX, such as the window cranks. To lower the windows, you click the windows or
    window sill edges (thin strip around the windows). This section that explains everything is at www.lionheartcreations.com/Fairchild_24 Its the red ink section
    below the sales section.

Also, I should note. I was strongly (strongly) asked to at least do a 2D panel. I did. However, it only has instrumentation. There is no popups of throttles
    and mixture knobs, no controls, only instrumentation. It gives you the 2D panel environment, but working things like the fuel selectors and throttle is all done
    in the 3D cabin area. You get one black crinkle panel for the 2D panel area.

These are available now at SimMarket.com and at my site through PayLoadz. JustFlight should have them up tomorrow. I do not know if Flight1 can carry these as they use an online activator code system now. I'll see if they can but doubt it. FlightSimStore in Australia and PCAviator will be notified also and have it as soon as they can get it online.

Some humble screenshots of the 24's.

Humble Poly bender and warrior of Vertices

Alienware Console i7 3770 CPU 3.40 GHz / 16 Gigs of RAM / GTX660 GC w/2 Gigs of VRAM / Windows 7 64 Ultimate
    Running 3X Samsung 840 SSD HD's, 200 Gig each, 500/500 Read/Write

D--- It, Bill, There goes the CC balance again! When I was first flying in California out of Torrance (in the "60's") I would see a 24 with inline engine land occasionaly. I believe it was from Nevada.

Your rendition looks terrific as always.

Best, Paul

Those look really good!

I have been waiting...

Fantastic Package LH Attachment 88763

Thank you

A couple more of this Beauty Attachment 88764Attachment 88765Attachment 88766

Now this is DoubleC:salute::salute:l

SOH-CM-2014
    Hey DC,

How did you do those wide screenshots? Those are slick.

Alienware Console i7 3770 CPU 3.40 GHz / 16 Gigs of RAM / GTX660 GC w/2 Gigs of VRAM / Windows 7 64 Ultimate

SOH-CM-2014
    The more I worked on the radial version Fairchild, the more it 'kind of' reminded me of a small Beaver.

I ended up increasing flaps so that one can drop over the tops of trees better without too much speed gain with full flaps on mountain strips inside forests. Makes coming into Diamond Point a bit easier.

SOH Staff .."Bartender" AussieMan's Avatar
    Great work Bill. Looks like a hit on the credit card next pay day.

Keep up the great work mate.

Edit: CC balance better than I thought. Downloading it now.

Cheers
    Pat

"Some people might say that freedom is being alone in the bush with the only sounds being the murmurs from the birds ... but I believe freedom is at 5000 feet with no other sound than the engine roaring."- William Hutchison, a young man taken from us far too young (16).

Bill - I see from your website that transferring to another computer is not allowed - or that I need to purchase twice?

I have disconnected my FSX computer from the net permanently - tired of all the junk getting onto my HD

So I use a laptop to d/l FSX addons and then copy them to disc to install on my PC

Am I to understand that I cannot do that with the Fairchild without buying it twice...?

If so - it is what it is and I understand your need to protect your work - I'll have to wait for a sale to get it
    enter..the Sandman

visit Heywood Planes - YouTube

Wow! Very good job! Crg Lion!
    Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

SOH Staff .."Bartender" AussieMan's Avatar
    Bill you have a PM.

One thing I did notice, and it is the first time I have seen it is how the tailwheel moves with the rudder.

Because of this I have a question. In the real aircraft was the tailwheel lockable for take off and landing? I have a switch on my CH yoke that is set to lock/unlock the tailwheel but it appears not to happen with this aircraft.

Who found the hidden GPS. Cunning one Bill :salute:

Also you mentioned in your intro for the release that in cruise setting (1700 RPM) that the engine had an idling sound. I think the Beaver has has a Scarab Radial and it sounds really lazy when cruising.

Cheers
    Pat

"Some people might say that freedom is being alone in the bush with the only sounds being the murmurs from the birds ... but I believe freedom is at 5000 feet with no other sound than the engine roaring."- William Hutchison, a young man taken from us far too young (16).

SOH-CM-2014
    Quote Originally Posted by AussieMan View Post
    Bill you have a PM.

One thing I did notice, and it is the first time I have seen it is how the tailwheel moves with the rudder.

Because of this I have a question. In the real aircraft was the tailwheel lockable for take off and landing? I have a switch on my CH yoke that is set to lock/unlock the tailwheel but it appears not to happen with this aircraft.

The tail wheel suspension is up inside the tail and looks like an Oleo damper and is hinged by a dragging link plate. I didn't actually ever find out if it was a free spinning tailwheel or linked internally to the rudder mechanism, so I cant answer that. My apologies. We treated it like a linked tailwheel. From what I remember, I thought you could kick it out of its lock plate and it would freewheel till it locked back into the plate in the bottom of the spinning vertical shaft. (I was pretty young back then and might be thinking of the Stinson).

Quote Originally Posted by AussieMan View Post
    Who found the hidden GPS. Cunning one Bill :salute:

Also you mentioned in your intro for the release that in cruise setting (1700 RPM) that the engine had an idling sound. I think the Beaver has has a Scarab Radial and it sounds really lazy when cruising.
    Yep. They do. Our friends in San Diego that had a Staggerwing, whenI got to fly in it, it too sounded like it was idling, but we were moving out!

SOH-CM-2014
    Quote Originally Posted by heywooood View Post
    Bill - I see from your website that transferring to another computer is not allowed - or that I need to purchase twice?

I have disconnected my FSX computer from the net permanently - tired of all the junk getting onto my HD

So I use a laptop to d/l FSX addons and then copy them to disc to install on my PC

Am I to understand that I cannot do that with the Fairchild without buying it twice...?

If so - it is what it is and I understand your need to protect your work - I'll have to wait for a sale to get it

Hey Heywood,

You do not need to buy it twice. If its just for your residence, just request a secondary code for your other computer.

You can copy the installer over. Just keep the codes saved with the installer.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Lionheart View Post
    Hey Heywood,

You do not need to buy it twice. If its just for your residence, just request a secondary code for your other computer.

Bill
    that's great news - I just had to make certain before I purchased it - Thank You Bill

this is another fine Creation...and from my favorite era -
    enter..the Sandman

Wonderfully done Bill!! a Beautiful piece or work Thank you! Best Gil

Chapel Hill, NC and the Texas Hill Country
    Love it, love it love it !!!!
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....

It's about learning

to dance in the rain.

Hey Heywood,

Bill
    ok - I do not have fsx on my laptop - so that stops the installer there
    and since I do not have the internet on my pc - that stops the installer there....
    I'm stuck...and still no reply from the vendor
    enter..the Sandman

SOH-CM-2014
    and since I do not have the internet on my pc - that stops the installer there....
    Yep.. dang. You cant activate it. Im sorry Heywood. We'll get you a refund ASAP.

How do you get your planes activated when you purchase them?

Wish I saw this yesterday when I could play with it. Just got it and will have to suffer through a day at the office before I can take this beauty up to Old Rhinebeck from KPOU. Looks great Bill Thanks for developing this great golden age beauty

Master of Disaster
    Awesome! Me like, will buy!!
    If government was the answer, it was a stupid question!

Yep.. dang. You cant activate it. Im sorry Heywood. We'll get you a refund ASAP.

How do you get your planes activated when you purchase them?
    Alabeo and Sibwings were no problem - I just unpacked them on the laptop and transferred to the PC on a disc

they did not search for FSX on the laptop - just let me save to desktop

**bummer - I'd rather have the plane than the refund - lol
    enter..the Sandman

I am disappointed to say that I was hoping the Fairchild series would be as good as the Pacer. It's better!

heywood?.....and Lionheart....some of the vendors sometimes offer a CD/DVD backup.....can maybe bill get someone like the guys at PCAviator to offer a CD back up to the purchace?..and then just have Mark over there at PC Aviator send heywood the CD and leave the accual download on his "account" at pc avaitor?...

SOH-CM-2023

I do the same thing.

I follow the same procedure that you follow. All downloads for ANYTHING come through one desktop PC (that does NOT have any Flight Sim software on it) for virus checking and are transferred via USB flash drive after checking.

I have NOT had any problems crop up on my FSX/CFS2 PCs using this method so it works for me. Looks like I can't purchase either.

SOH-CM-2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Daveroo View Post
    heywood?.....and Lionheart....some of the vendors sometimes offer a CD/DVD backup.....can maybe bill get someone like the guys at PCAviator to offer a CD back up to the purchace?..and then just have Mark over there at PC Aviator send heywood the CD and leave the accual download on his "account" at pc avaitor?...
    The problem is that the installer is online-activated. If the installer cannot get the ok from home base, the package is invisible. What ever computer it runs on, it must have an online activation or it doesn't work.