Uninstalling/reinstalling FSX. Should I?

Thread: Uninstalling/reinstalling FSX. Should I?

Uninstalling/reinstalling FSX. Should I?

Over the years, I have uninstalled/reinstalled FSX several times. But not for a long time (about three years ago).

And since reading horror stories about reactivation, I am hesistant.

Is it still possible to reactivate FSX? The last time I did so was by phone. If I recall correctly even that wasn't a simple task.

My FSX install has become quite bloated. I thought starting from scratch again may be the way to go.

Just wonderin'...

NC

I just did it about 2 months ago and had no issues.
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO
    Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

I was able to activate the flight sim and acceleration on February 27.
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
    Asus P8Z68 M
    Intel i7-2700
    16 GB of Ram
    GeForce GTX 550 Ti

I bought a new computer (november 2012) and had to reinstall the FSX (Gold edition). I did the activation via Internet. No problems (from here Finland - then shouldn't be from USA either).

FSX problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Navy Chief View Post
    Over the years, I have uninstalled/reinstalled FSX several times. But not for a long time (about three years ago).

And since reading horror stories about reactivation, I am hesistant.

Is it still possible to reactivate FSX? The last time I did so was by phone. If I recall correctly even that wasn't a simple task.

My FSX install has become quite bloated. I thought starting from scratch again may be the way to go.

Just wonderin'...

NC
    Hey Chief; I hadn't herd of the problem with reinstalling FSX. Thanks. Big Iron.
    :salute:

Unless you're setting up a new computer, there is no need to 'uninstall' FSX. If you want to start out fresh without worrying about reactivation woes, just rename your current FSX folder to something else, put the disks in and check the repair prompts. You'll get a new install. Then you can transfer some of your add on customizing from the old folder, and/or delete the old folder.

Quote Originally Posted by Bone View Post
    Unless you're setting up a new computer, there is no need to 'uninstall' FSX. If you want to start out fresh without worrying about reactivation woes, just rename your current FSX folder to something else, put the disks in and check the repair prompts. You'll get a new install. Then you can transfer some of your add on customizing from the old folder, and/or delete the old folder.
    I like your suggestion Bone, but what about conflicts with .cfg files? Renaming the folder sounds simple enough. So when I put in the install discs, and it asks if I want to repair, I select that option? And would it then install the entire program?

Just want to make sure I understand this all before I would attempt it.

Thanks, Pete

There shouldn't be any conflicts with any cfg files. Once you change the name of your current install to something else, it won't be seen as an FSX install by your registry. You can still run it if you wanted to, but you'll have to start it from the FSX application that's in the main folder. If you want to do that, I would recomend NOT making a new desk top short cut, just run it from inside the folder.

FSX.cfg Location

There shouldn't be any conflicts with any cfg files. Once you change the name of your current install to something else, it won't be seen as an FSX install by your registry. You can still run it if you wanted to, but you'll have to start it from the FSX application that's in the main folder. If you want to do that, I would recomend NOT making a new desk top short cut, just run it from inside the folder.
    Navy Chief - I've never done the "REPAIR" install myself, but I know the location of the FSX.cfg file. (I may try the "repair" reinstall myself after Navy Chief proves it can be done!)

The location of the FSX.cfg is not in one of the files you would be renaming, so you may want to rename that file. FSX.cfg is located in C:\users\NavyChief\Appdata\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX or something similar (I did that off the top of my head because I'm not near my home computer...wink...wink). Just rename your FSX.cfg to FSX.bak that way you can rename it back if necessary.
    Jay
    USNR-Ret; Former Airline Migratory Worker; Builder, Owner, Operator RV-8 N817J
    Comp Spec - ASRock Steel Legend WiFi M/B, Ryzen 7 5800X, RX 6900 XT, 32GB RAM, M2 SSD for DCS, SATA SSD for MSFS2020

I will save/print these suggestions. If I decide to take the next step and proceed with this, I need to make sure it is done right!

NC

Quote Originally Posted by rvn817j View Post
    Navy Chief - I've never done the "REPAIR" install myself, but I know the location of the FSX.cfg file. (I may try the "repair" reinstall myself after Navy Chief proves it can be done!)

The location of the FSX.cfg is not in one of the files you would be renaming, so you may want to rename that file. FSX.cfg is located in C:\users\NavyChief\Appdata\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX or something similar (I did that off the top of my head because I'm not near my home computer...wink...wink). Just rename your FSX.cfg to FSX.bak that way you can rename it back if necessary.
    I've done it before, quite a few times...it works. How's that for proof? The repair function will reinstall the entire main FSX folder (given that you've changed the name of the old FSX folder), but you can get a new FSX cfg anytime just by deleting it from the FSX folder inside Appdata/roaming, and then restarting FSX....you don't need an entire repair for that.

I will save/print these suggestions. If I decide to take the next step and proceed with this, I need to make sure it is done right!

NC

Navy Chief:

Here's how I've done it.

1) Change the name of the current FSX folder. You can just add '(old)' to it, to make it simple.

2) Create a new folder using the original FSX folder name. It must be in the same place the old one is, and it must be exactly like the original name. All you need to have is just the folder name, you don't need to put anything in it (ie, effects, guages, sim objects, ect)

3) Put in the first FSX disk, and when the prompt window comes up, click on the fsx.exe option. It will then ask you if you want to uninstall or repair....click REPAIR.

4) Let it run, and when it's finished it will prompt you to put in the next disk. Don't click on the prompt yet. Take out the first disk and put in the next one. Now click on 'OK' that you see on this prompt window.

5) You're going to see another window open within seconds after putting in the second disk, DON'T CLICK on the options it gives you. Just cancel it by clicking on the X. you've done all you need to do by just clicking 'OK' on the other one.

6) Once this second disk has run it's course, put in the Accell disk, and it will ask you if you want uninstall or repair....click REAPAIR.

Unless you want to redo all of your settings, then you can leave the old FSX cfg in place (appdata/roaming/Microsoft/FSX). If you want a new FSX cfg, delete it, then start FSX.

EDIT: For those people who want new files for the FSX folder that resides within Appdata/roaming, you can just remove them (but back them up somewhere) before you do the repair, and they will be replaced with new files.

Navy Chief:

Here's how I've done it.

1) Change the name of the current FSX folder. You can just add '(old)' to it, to make it simple.

2) Create a new folder using the original FSX folder name. It must be in the same place the old one is, and it must be exactly like the original name. All you need to have is just the folder name, you don't need to put anything in it (ie, effects, guages, sim objects, ect)

3) Put in the first FSX disk, and when the prompt window comes up, click on the fsx.exe option. It will then ask you if you want to uninstall or repair....click REPAIR.

4) Let it run, and when it's finished it will prompt you to put in the next disk. Don't click on the prompt yet. Take out the first disk and put in the next one. Now click on 'OK' that you see on this prompt window.

5) You're going to see another window open within seconds after putting in the second disk, DON'T CLICK on the options it gives you. Just cancel it by clicking on the X. you've done all you need to do by just clicking 'OK' on the other one.

6) Once this second disk has run it's course, put in the Accell disk, and it will ask you if you want uninstall or repair....click REAPAIR.

Unless you want to redo all of your settings, then you can leave the old FSX cfg in place (appdata/roaming/Microsoft/FSX). If you want a new FSX cfg, delete it, then start FSX.

EDIT: For those people who want new files for the FSX folder that resides within Appdata/roaming, you can just remove them (but back them up somewhere) before you do the repair, and they will be replaced with new files.
    Bone,Thank you for the concise list!!!

Pete

Did this exact thing 3 days ago cause of fsx bloat, worked fine. Put in my must have planes and scenery and then copied the whole lot across to my external back up hard drive so from now on I will just copy my install from that when needed
    You take it easy.. and have a nice day

Bone,Thank you for the concise list!!!

Pete
    Sure thing, Chief.

I just did it three days ago and no problem at all, But I did a complet back up of evbery thing on a external hard drive.
    I have lot of custom stuff I needed to keep!!!
    Marvin Carter
    No matter how hard you try, you can't baptize cats.

Hi Bone,

What about all of the FSX related programs (scenery, planes, etc.) installed? Should they be deleted using Add/Delete programs? Also what about the FSX folder in the ApplicationData/Microsoft folder? I want to get rid of what's in there. Should that be renamed of deleted?

Thanks,

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by whitney17 View Post
    Hi Bone,

What about all of the FSX related programs (scenery, planes, etc.) installed? Should they be deleted using Add/Delete programs? Also what about the FSX folder in the ApplicationData/Microsoft folder? I want to get rid of what's in there. Should that be renamed of deleted?

Thanks,

Joe
    Delete and reinstall whatever you like. There are too many ways and reason to go about that, due to the large volume of addons and their installation differences. However, if you use the uninstall program found inside 'programs and features', then you may have some issues with reinstalling, due to security key issues...but it all depends on the model. For instance, Capt Sim models: If you just re-run the installer into your fresh FSX install, the installer will ask you if you want to uninstall the model or repair. You'd just hit repair and the installer runs. If you had actually uninstalled the Capt sim model using the uninstaller from inside 'programs and feature' , then you might have to go through a security key goat rope when trying to reinstall the model at a later time. I don't think there's a reason to 'uninstall' very much, just rerun the installers and you should be fine.

There are so many ways to go about this part, you'll just have to use your better judgement. Good luck.

Members who have read this thread: 0