Creating flights questions

Thread: Creating flights questions

Creating flights questions

First of all, are there any tutorials on properly creating flights?

I am looking to recreate some historical flights for the B24, one in particular, the raids on the Ploesti oil fields. These will be of course these will be long flights, so I am wondering can flights be saved and picked off where i left, or will I be in for the long haul?

Also, can AI be created to fly along in groups? Would be cool to have other B24s flying with me to the oil fields. I'm guessing this isn't possible, but thought I would ask just in case.

Thanks

Charter Member 2012 nigel richards's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RobH View Post
    First of all, are there any tutorials on properly creating flights?

I am looking to recreate some historical flights for the B24, one in particular, the raids on the Ploesti oil fields. These will be of course these will be long flights, so I am wondering can flights be saved and picked off where i left, or will I be in for the long haul?

Also, can AI be created to fly along in groups? Would be cool to have other B24s flying with me to the oil fields. I'm guessing this isn't possible, but thought I would ask just in case.

Thanks
    RobH; Regarding your second question, in short;

yes AI can indeed be made to fly in groups.

As far as I can remember (at least 2 years since toying around with this stuff), it involves creating parallel waypoints - one for each aircraft in the group.

For precise information, I would stronnly advise a visit to the MAIW site. I remember picking up the neccessary HU - they often use group or formation flights in their marvelous scenery packs.

MAIW Miramar is a beautiful example.
    Most men often say what they think!
    An honest man usually means what he says!
    A gentleman always says what he means!

"Αίεν Υψικρατείν "

A fool is not he who asks a simple question, but he who would simply have its asking denied. (Richards 2012)

You're not necessarily "in for the long haul" unless you want to be. Any time you want to stop, just hit the semicolon (";") and pick a name like "In Progress." To restart that flight, just open it from the saved flights menu. Or, if you want a shortcut, go to your My Documents\Flight Simulator Files folder and you'll find that flight in there. As long as you don't have FSX installed, *flt files should be set to open directly with FS9, which means that you can double-click the file and FS9 will open directly into your flight at the point where you saved it.
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

There are some aircraft which are not ideal for saved flights.
    Most of these use extensive XML gauge coding to manage things the original FS creators simply did not consider putting into their engine. For example in our Constellation series fuel management both in the tanks and directly to the engines is handled by such code.
    These parameters are not saved by FS so when you reload the flight they are gone. This might mean the engines are immediately too rich and shut down on you...unless you are prepared for it.

So unless you know the aircraft you plan on using has no such issue I'd suggest making a short test flight which you can save and then load.

Cheers
    Stefan

Thank you everyone for your help. Gonna do some research this weekend and see what I can get into.