Craig and Matt's Sopwith Camel Released 12th - Page 9
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789

Thread: Craig and Matt's Sopwith Camel Released 12th

Attachment 82174

Fleurdelys...This was the engined turned cowl I came up with using your cowl texture and a modified spec texture... quite like it on this model.

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by MDIvey View Post
    Attachment 82174

Fleurdelys...This was the engined turned cowl I came up with using your cowl texture and a modified spec texture... quite like it on this model.

Matt
    Nice ! That was the era where they put some nice touches to metal before the chrome effects on cars...
    As you said earlier, that finish would not have stayed bright and shiny for long in the field.

I've taken a few WIP shots of your request and I must insist that this plane was in bad need of a paint job (pun intended) ...:isadizzy:

And a last one...

This plane is really photogenic ! In the same class as the HE-51, I would add...

Fleurdelys

Superb... Thankyou. Let us know when and where its available.

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by MDIvey View Post
    Superb... Thankyou. Let us know when and where its available.

Matt
    I still have a few details to take care of such as the wheel struts (burnt umber) and then revisit the overall weathering to make everything fit together before updloading it. Tomorrow I would say. That goes for "Estonia", "Latvia" and "Greece" also.

I usually only post at Sim-Outhouse and digressed once which is for Craig's update. If he would allow me to send him a copy to post on his website, I would be glad to post it there also.

Fleurdelys

Hello,
    sorry, I was away for a few months. Sorry for posting so late, but I would like to congratulate the whole team for releasing such a wonderful plane! Congratulations, she is awesome!

Lucas

Lucas...wasnt the A2A/Aircraft factory Albatross CII your model... superb model. Its great to see more of these era models appearing in FSX. I hope you will be doing some more... I always preferred the III and V models with their streamlined propeller spinners for looks but the CII is still very ellegant.

Fleurdelys... thanks for the MacLaren paint... very pleased with it.

Matt

These new repaints look fantastic ! I really like the new metal texture. Excellent job ! :ernae:

Still going through history books on that particular era which started near the end of WWI (October 1917) and spilled over to the early 1920's...

Although reeling from the last conflict, 14 nations sent men to help the "White" armies contain the Bolshevik revolution...

I'm working on a particular texture of a British Camel from the 1st B.A.C. (British Air Corps) which was shot down and captured by the Bolshevik Red Army troops on August 29th, 1919 in the Petrozavodsk area (capital city of Soviet Carelia).

I'm also trying a new type of weathering (at least for me) which is rain streaks on canvas...

Do you like or is it too much ?

Looking forward to your comments...

Fleurdelys

Personal opinion only... seems a bit heavy on the weathering to me but I could be wrong. I would expect that if a machine got that bad it would be recovered. Also I'm not really familiar with the colouring of post war WW1 Camels. For me what Craig has done is bang on for WW1 RFC & RNAS machines but beyond that I dont really know. I've never seen any photos that show clearly such heavy weathering but that doesnt mean to say there arent any. Do them to suit yourself... your putting in the work.... and enjoy the fruits of your labours. The great thing about doing your own paints is that you can have them how you want them.

Matt

What can I say, other than oh wow!!! Very late to the party with this as currently rebuilding my FSX machine and reinstalling etc.

A HUUUUUUGE thanks to ALL involved with beautiful creation. Not only for producing such a peice of art and history, but making it FREELY available.

THAN YOU!

One question if I may.... Having just ploughed through the entire thread, I'm a little confused (doesn't take much these days!). Does the v2 include all the little tweaks here and there, or do I still need to make any changes?
    If you know the avatar, you know the man!
    M/B: Asus Z170 Deluxe - CPU: i7 6700k - RAM: 16Gb Corsair DDR4 3200mhz - Vid: Asus GTX970
    Windows 10 (x64) on M.2 SSD - FS Software on: Sata SSD

..."seems a bit heavy on the weathering to me but I could be wrong. I would expect that if a machine got that bad it would be recovered".

I seem to recall a texture done lately where the picture used for reference showed paint peeling to the extent that it would have given points to a bad case of sunburn and skin peeling...

Weathering is a state of use (not abuse) whereas the object will show various signs (interior and exterior) that it is no longer new but does show wear (not tear) in various forms such as exhaust and oil stains (aircrafts) dust and mud (cars, tanks) sooth (steam locomotives), etc.
    And if you don't wash it off, then it tends to accumulate...

Canvas tarps not being particularly a smooth media, such as aircraft aluminum, does show some blackened streaks after being left for some time outside due to rain and sun which is the reason for my wanting to use it on a 2 year old canvas and metal aircraft...

How long does it take for rain and sun to produce such stains would probably be the question to answer ! If it takes more than a year sitting outside to produce any kind of rainy streaks, then it wouldn't be accurate to use them on these textures.

But then, most hobbyist who add weathering to their plastic kits do seem to favour restraint and stop just before adding that little last bit to be on the safe side...:salute:

Anyone has any expertise on canvas rain and sun staining ?

Fleurdelys

The version 2 update just contains the updated files to be mergerd with your version 1 install. Its well worth the trouble of installing because the metalwork is much better (it was good any way but now is even better) and you have Johns superb blip gauge to add further imersion. You shouldnt need any tweaks to CFG files as Craig has done all that for you in the update.

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by fleurdelys View Post
    ..."seems a bit heavy on the weathering to me but I could be wrong. I would expect that if a machine got that bad it would be recovered".

I seem to recall a texture done lately where the picture used for reference showed paint peeling to the extent that it would have given points to a bad case of sunburn and skin peeling...

Fleurdelys
    Those plastic modellers eh!? If my garden hammock is anything to go by then your right about the Canvas on that past its sell by date Camel

Matt

The 1st Slavic B.A.C. textures have just been uploaded and should be available soon.

Following your lead Matt and that of "plastic" modelers, I have refrained from "rain weathering effect" which might have been going a step too far...

Cheers,

Fleurdelys

Members who have read this thread: 2