OZx Torres Strait Islands

Thread: OZx Torres Strait Islands

OZx Torres Strait Islands

I was just downloading some paints from OZx when I noticed this new scenery package. Looks good for those of us who enjoy island hopping.

Welcome to the Torres Strait Islands, and the OZx generation II’s first project. This package includes 18 islands in the Torres Strait Island area to explore, and it has taken a solid 8 months to produce. We hope the tireless efforts of our new OZx II Gen team have paid off with this debut scenery.

The Torres Strait Islands are a group of 274 islands and small islets in a gap of shallow sea between Cape York in Queensland, Australia, and Papua New Guinea. These islands are beautiful remote paradises surrounded by shallow coral filled water, and usually very few people living on them. Many however have nothing at all; just wet forests, beaches and shallow water.

http://aussiex.org/forum/index.php?/...trait-islands/
    "There is an art . . . to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss"
    — Douglas Adams, 'The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy'

Thanks for the HU! I just recently bought Pacific Island Sim's Papua New Guinea bush flying from their sale and this probably complements it nicely.

This looks nice, and I downloaded it. It says in the manual that the FTX AU Green (payware) is a prerequisite, but not "absolutely necessary", and if not loaded you won't see the custom autogen trees and houses. So, is there any point to installing this if I don't have the huge FTX AU payware package installed?

- Paul
    MB: GIGABYTE GA-X299 UD4 PRO ATX
    CPU: Intel(R) Core™ Processor i9-10900X Ten-Core 3.7GHz
    MEM: 64GB (8GBx8) DDR4/3000MHz Quad Channel
    GPU: RTX 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6
    HP Reverb G2

Quote Originally Posted by PRB View Post
    This looks nice, and I downloaded it. It says in the manual that the FTX AU Green (payware) is a prerequisite, but not "absolutely necessary", and if not loaded you won't see the custom autogen trees and houses. So, is there any point to installing this if I don't have the huge FTX AU payware package installed?

- Paul
    As two of the three prerequisites are free, OZx libraries and the holgermesh, I would certainly recommend installing this, even if you don't own the Orbx product ( I do). Whichever way you look at it this should still be an improvement over default FSX.
    "There is an art . . . to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss"
    — Douglas Adams, 'The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy'

Thank you very much for the information, I just download it. :salute:

Quote Originally Posted by PRB View Post
    - Paul
    Yea, maybe a poor choice of words to say it's a "prerequisite" (something that is necessary), then say it's not "absolutely necessary", lol. So basically what they're saying is. . . .you really should buy the AU Payware package because without it, this won't look very good, lol.
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

I installed all the free prerequisites, then installed this Torres Straight package. I took off from Sassie Island, where there was no buildings, so I was dissapointed, but I flew north to the next island and found plenty of buildings, cars, wind socks, radio towers, etcs. at a very nice airport. There was even this guy standing next to the fuel tank waving his arms in the air. Don't know what he was all excited about, but it was pretty cool. So far so good. I'll check out some of the other islands later.

- Paul
    HP Reverb G2

Thanks for the info.

I love flying in this area, thanks much for the HU, I plan to install it and enjoy the adventure.

good flights, Cal

One nice side effect of this whole exercise is that Australia has undergone a significant improvement. All those free prerequisites add airports, textures, mesh, and existing airport upgrades. I may have to "virtually move" to Australia for a while...

- Paul
    HP Reverb G2

Looking through the OZx free files they only list up to version 3.1, yet looking at my stored files I have v4, have they withdrawn 4 or something, is there something wrong with it?

Ooops I'm referring to their OZx AU Complete + OZx NA Complete + OZx Libraries at http://aussiex.org/forum/index.php?/...ozx-libraries/
    Intel i5-10600K 4.10 GHz 12 Core CPU
    Asus ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming LGA1200 Z590-E Motherboard
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
    Water Cooler - CORSAIR iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT
    Corsair 850W PSU
    MSI RX580 Radeon Armor 8Gb
    Windows 10 Home Premium 64
    3 x 21" Acer LED screens

Nice freeware package.
    It was a lot bit plain until I remembered I had never gotten around to installing ORBX Australia, and then magic happened...
    Very nice. Many Thanks!
    Attachment 75338
    Sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice.
    (Clarke and Clark)

Thanks arrowmaker

Quote Originally Posted by TheGrunt View Post
    Thanks for the HU! I just recently bought Pacific Island Sim's Papua New Guinea bush flying from their sale and this probably complements it nicely.
    What he says (both re: thanks to arrowmaker for the HU and the neat 'connect' this should make between Oz and PNG scenery packs! :salute:

Thank you very much for the positive feedback and critique on the package everyone, it is much appreciated!

Since I am the one who wrote the manual as well as developed 7 out of 18 of these islands, I feel I should explain some things about having the ORBX payware package.
    If you do not have at least one of the FTX AU payware packages then you will still have all the autogen and basically everything you need to see, the only difference will be that the autogen TEXTURES will not be the same. The FTX AU packages add new, more accurate, and better looking textures for the autogen to more accurately represent the trees in the area. Needless to say that having those textures adds quite a lot, so here's a quick and easy solution which will rectify this problem partially.

Go and download the free Tasmanian demo from FTX off their website and install it. This will install many of these new autogen tree textures into your system (not all of them though, since some types are specific to the FTX GREEN region). This should definately improve your experience both in the Torres Strait Islands and in Tasmania in Australia, at no extra cost for you

If you ever get the chance, go and buy all of the FTX AU regions, if you buy them together it's $100 AU, which is very good value considering you get about 7 million sq kilometres of revised textures, mesh and autogen
    Then you can download the whole lot of OZx AU scenery from our website, 300+ free airfields. You won't go out of Australia for a while

Cheers,
    Misha

These little islands are beautiful! Perfect too if you only have time for a short flight.
    Well done!
    "What do you hear?" "Nothing but the rain!" "Then grab your gun and bring the cat in!" "Boom, boom, boom!"

Looks great! Has anyone with Dx10 enabled tried it yet?
    SYSTEM :
    DX version Dx10 with Steve's Fixer.
    Processor:I5 4670k overclocked to 4.4 gHz with Corsair CW-9060008-WW hydro cooler
    Motherboard:Z87
    RAM:16 gig 1866 gigaHz Corsair ram
    Video Card:MSI 1070 8 gig ram
    HD:2Tb Samsung 850 evo SSD

To err is human; to forgive is divine