are you responcible for your own health?

Thread: are you responcible for your own health?

Retired SOH Administrator Henry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

are you responcible for your own health?

ie, do you eat healthy and exercize?

iHe, do you eat healthy foods an exercizeoften?
    DONT CRY WHEN YOU LOSE SOMEONE
    SMILE BECAUSE YOU KNEW THAT PERSON
    IN ABOOK!

Exercise or physical activity is the easy one for me. 10 hour work days at high speed. I do try to stretch 2 to 3 times a week for my back otherwise very physical work day keeps me in line.

Eating
    breakfast and lunch are low sodium meals and dinner is whatever I want.
    Did well on eating a lot of fruit each day this year but veggies still suffer. Thats my area of challenge. On early work days I try to cut up a veggie mix and have on the counter before dinner for family to eat but have to make it more routine.

Have to say after I hurt my back three years ago I have turned around and heading in good direction.

Good question H

Jim

By the way, I had a physical this past year as well as a work related checkup and all my vitals were in line except for lacking vitamin D. But what do you expect, I live in the NW

Jim

I do a lot of walking around the farm along with chores so I guess you could say I exercise.

As for diet, I've been eating pretty much what I want, just not a whole lot of it. That being said, I could stand to lose some poundage.

But I just got back home from the cardiac doc with a clean bill of health after a nuclear stress test last month, so I must be doing something right.

Lacking in vitamin D? That's what I was told this afternoon. As for salt, I don't like very much of it so I tend to not salt anything.
    Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right.

I spent 35 years in the cab of a tractor-trailer and frankly,for the first 20 years I didn't take care of myself at all. I am now paying for that foolishness with a lot of health problems that could have been avoided if I had realized what a toll that lifestyle puts on a person's health. For those that don't know or had never thought about it the driver in the long haul industry is paid "by the mile" so if the wheels ain't turnin' you ain't making no dough and that is the way I lived for all those years,10 hours behing the wheel,10 hours in the bunk and the rest of the time on a loading dock or in a shipping/recieving office somewhere in the country.No exercise,grabbing "fast-food" when I had a chance or eating out of the truck-stops and back in the 1980's and 1990's no one was paying any attention to "eating healty" or anything else like that,at least in my world they didn't.All that changed in 1996 when my wife came home on one of my time off's to find me lying on the floor,blue and not doing too well,a trip to the ER and I was diagnosed with congestive heart failure,type 2 diabetes and acute sleep apnea.It took 2 years of constant trips to the doctors and many months of testing,trying different medications and tests to get me back to work. Just a word for all you younger guys,PAY ATTENTION TO YOUR HEALTH,it WILL make all the difference in the world when you get older!

Retired SOH Administrator Henry's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Willy View Post
    I do a lot of walking around the farm along with chores so I guess you could say I exercise.

As for diet, I've been eating pretty much what I want, just not a whole lot of it. That being said, I could stand to lose some poundage.

But I just got back home from the cardiac doc with a clean bill of health after a nuclear stress test last month, so I must be doing something right.

Lacking in vitamin D? That's what I was told this afternoon. As for salt, I don't like very much of it so I tend to not salt anything.
    oh WILLY Ithought youse country folk ateroad killan hog wresling for exersizelolH
    DONT CRY WHEN YOU LOSE SOMEONE
    SMILE BECAUSE YOU KNEW THAT PERSON
    IN ABOOK!

Quote Originally Posted by Henry View Post
    oh WILLY Ithought youse country folk ateroad killan hog wresling for exersizelolH
    No, it's milk the hogs and slop the cows :d
    Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right.

Health

I agree that you are responsible for your own health. Of course genetics, disease, strokes and injuries also play a strong part for many individuals.

Having spent two careers in two action jobs, I had to exercise almost daily to maintain an edge and to lead younger men than myself. Having done that for so many years, I now feel gyped if I don't work out several times a week with weights and dumbbells My dog loves the program as he gets to run four to five miles at least four times a week.

Now that I'm retired, I enjoy hunting and hiking as much as possible and that physical edge gives me and the bird dog added enjoyment in the field.

Choices in diet and tobacco also contribute to a hopefully long life. Now that I've extolled the virtues of a good personal health program, I'll probably kick the bucket tomorrow!
    Keep your airspeed up,

Jagdflieger

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...me=Jagdflieger

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty
    to purchase a little Temporary Safety,
    deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Benjamin Franklin

Retired SOH Administrator
    I use to think I got plenty of excise at work but I found out that you need to get your heart rate up for at lease 20 minutes before it will benefit you. At work I don't get it like that. Doing HVAC work might get mine up a little but not enough to mount up to what I need. Do I eat right, no...lol.I am 6'3 at 215pds. My doc says I can come off of some of the meds if I can get down to 140pds. I said that will never happen cus I weighted more than that in high school. He said being skinny is healthier for me. He also said anything that grows above the ground is better for you and anything that grows below ground isn't. Being diabetic sucks but I also have a vascular disease too. I have had 6 operations for plugged arteries due to this disease. Two in each one of my legs, one in my hip and one in my heart. All of this in the past ten years. One of those years I had three back to back operations that just about killed me due to the stress on my body. I was out of work for almost a year. Eating and excise right now would help but I should have been doing that for the last 15 years. 2 years ago I got down to 200pds but I and to work out three times a day and hardly eat anything. I felt better but look at what I had to give up. Getiing old is hell for us old farts.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Asus Rampage Extreme Motherboard /EVGA AR GeForce GTX 295 1792MB 896 Bit GDDR3 /Corsair 8gig XMS DDR3/Intel Core 2 Extreme QX 9770 Yorkfield OCed 4.2 LGA 775/136W Quad Core / Water Cooled/ 2 WD Raptor 150gig 10,000 rpm Drives in Raid O Mode/WD Raptor 150gig internal back up/400 gig External WD back up Drive/Thermaltake 1200 Watt PS/Sony Dual Layer DVD RD/RW/Plextor DVD/RW/ Thermaltake Kandalf Tower/ Sound Blasters X-FI Platinum / X52 Pro

Good question Henry . I personally think we all are responsible for our own health . I'm 5" 10" and weighed 210 a couple months ago . Since having two heart stents in 2008 and since then have been diagnosed with mild diabetes (take two pills a day) , moderate hypertension(two pills a day), I've been told by my primary family physician and cardiologist that " Rich , if you just drop 35 - 40 lbs , we can probably drop your diabetic and bp meds but you'll your have to remain on cholesterol meds for life . I know they are both right , no question about it . I think the majority of us falsely rely on meds when we start getting favorable lab results and put a REAL exercise routine aside . Oh well , I walked around WalMart yesterday , that's good , right ? Look at the current health crisis with our overweight youth here in America . Let's blame it on McDonalds and Wendy's , right ? That's a bunch of BS . The blame lies primarily with the parents with this current society . We're such busy bodies it's easier to hand them $5 or $10 and let them go stuff themselves with with Chicken Nuggets and french fries . Well , I'm done ranting now . I finally turned the corner on taking care of myself . I'm not sure what the turning point was but dropped down to 202 in the last couple of months (been using an eliptical machine that's been collecting dust in the garage and I try to walk at least every other day . Much more active around the house and have been doing a better job watching the carbs and fat intake .

Bottom line ; feel much better . Just think , only 32 lbs to go !

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by hey_moe View Post
    I am 6'3 at 215pds. My doc says I can come off of some of the meds if I can get down to 140pds. I said that will never happen cus I weighted more than that in high school. He said being skinny is healthier for me.
    At 6'3", 140pds is not skinny, it's emaciated. I'm 5'9.5" and it would be beyond skinny to me as well. Don't know what that doc is thinking, Ethiopian medicine maybe....
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by aeronca1 View Post
    At 6'3", 140pds is not skinny, it's emaciated. I'm 5'9.5" and it would be beyond skinny to me as well. Don't know what that doc is thinking, Ethiopian medicine maybe....
    If you want emaciated try my life! I wish I could put weight on but since I became ill 10+ years ago I've done nothing but lose weight no matter how much I eat. I'm 5'10" and currently weigh 125lbs with my clothes and shoes on! :isadizzy:
    Larry

Yikes!
    Matt

I reckon I should count me blessings... I am 6 foot, 215 pounds and 9% body fat (at the moment). When I was 25 I got interested in the sport of bodybuilding and never looked back. I probably could use a bit more cardio, but at my age (59) I can still keep up with most of the younger kids in the gym. I am also hypoglycemic, but have been able to control it with diet and of course, the exercise. No meds as of yet, thankfully.
    I can't say that I did it all, I was blessed with having good genetics... and that helps ALOT!

Jagdflieger -- I can relate to your last statement about "kicking the bucket tomorrow". My fear was stepping off a curb in a crosswalk with a green light, and being squashed by a milk truck.

BB686:USA-flag:
    "El gato que camina como hombre" -- The cat that walks like a man

Quote Originally Posted by Henry View Post
    ie, do you eat healthy and exercize?

iHe, do you eat healthy foods an exercizeoften?
    As Cary Grant once said, "If I'd known that I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself!"

"Hornets by mandate, Tomcats by choice!"

Members who have read this thread: 31