Trago Mills SAH-1/FLS Sprint
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Trago Mills SAH-1/FLS Sprint

Trago Mills SAH-1/FLS Sprint

Released today over at www.britsim.com is the latest British aeroplane to come from myself, Dave Molyneaux and Brian Horsey - the FLS Sprint 160. This project means a lot to me as I've grown up with the design, as the prototype was built at my local airfield (where I was a hangar rat) and since then have followed its progress and then managed to fly in the current version too. A wonderful, wonderful aeroplane sadly hindered by initial bad management and sales techniques. If it had been built in great numbers it would have replaced the 150s and PA28s we see at our local flying schools, but sadly this was not to be. A brief summary of its past is as follows, but more information is available in the history.txt file which accompanies the model:

The Sprint 160 was a technically brilliant aircraft much admired by all who flew it, which never achieved the success

it deserved, being dogged by years of commercial frustration. It was originally designed and built under the patronage of Mike Robinson, the owner of the Trago Mills chain of stores and an avid pilot.
    It was originally conceived as a classic British trainer with aerobatic capabilities. The original model, registered in 1980, was designated the SAH-1 and was fitted with a 118 hp Lycoming engine driving a fixed pitch prop.

The more popular variant we've modelled here is the Sprint-160 fitted with a 160 hp engine and a constant speed propeller.

The aircraft will fly in FSX with the usual provisos.

Each aeroplane that we build is modelled as close as we can to the real thing, as you probably know with the Austers, Chrisleas etc that we have provided you with in the past. Never ever just working from a 3 view drawing and some brief internet write up, we have always strived to produce an accurate model (within the confines of FS9) and so have used technical manuals, pilots notes, advice from current and past owners and lots of lots of photographs.

With this project we have one person to thank immensely - that being Matt Burleigh (SOH's Firebar) as without his wonderful assistance (and that of his Dad Chris!), the project would have never got off the ground. As Matt's Father is the current owner of the Sprint actually modelled and also holder of the type certification, we had superb support at all times. Nothing was too much trouble and this has to be one of the most accurate models we have produced. Thank you Matt!!!

I hope you all enjoy flying her as much as we have had in its development. Its just a shame that only a few were built as like myself and countless others, you would have loved the experience.

Happy Landings,

Martin Pengelly

Thanks to all of you who have downloaded the aeroplane so far and to those who have appreciated the model too. Downloads seem to be going well, so there seems to be a lot of interest in the Sprint.

For a read about the prototype SAH-1 have a look at:
    http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchi...0-%200291.html

and for more information on the airframe modelled at:
    http://airbaseuk.com/pdf/G-OAGI_Sprint_specsheet.pdf

Martin

Any chance of this being made a sticky?

The question now is.....'What do we go for next?'

Of course it has to be of British origin and built before the mid 1980s and something that is a little out of the ordinary and not that well known. So no Spitfires from us thank you!

We've got a few ideas going between us, but nothing concrete. Its all down to suitable references. As stated in my initial post in this thread, we like to do things as close as possible to the real aeroplane and so besides having accurate plans, need lots of photos and then technical manuals/pilot's notes or experiences from owners or past pilots. The crunch seems to be with the VC as projects have been scrapped in the past, where the external model was easy to research but then we had nothing as to the insides. I'm not a great fan of guesswork and after all the hours it takes to create these models, we like them to represent the real thing in both looks and in the way that they handle (within the confines of FS2004 of course). 'Either do it right, or not at all' doesn't the saying go?

With over 30 models produced now by the three of us, we look forward to the challenges that lie ahead and I hope that you continue to use and enjoy our final efforts.

Best wishes,

Martin Pengelly

i have an idea Martin!

....but you already know what i'll suggest.... 7 were made (If i recall), it's a type conversion, and came in 3 variants; crooked spine, straight spine and crop-duster.....

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Wynn View Post
    i have an idea Martin!

....but you already know what i'll suggest.... 7 were made (If i recall), it's a type conversion, and came in 3 variants; crooked spine, straight spine and crop-duster.....
    Now why didn't I think of that...another one to add to the list. Thanks!!

Martin

Thanks for this, looking forward to flying it, one of my favorite modern British light A/C, would like to fly one. The other British design from the a similar era, the ARV Super 2, how about one of those!!

Quote Originally Posted by Stubee View Post
    Thanks for this, looking forward to flying it, one of my favorite modern British light A/C, would like to fly one. The other British design from the a similar era, the ARV Super 2, how about one of those!!
    I do appreciate your comments....hope you enjoy the Sprint. Think that there are 4 flying in the UK, so nothing is impossible. As to the ARV Super 2, thats another one that has escaped the Pengelly radar. A worthy candidate. Just to got the find the relevant material and then a real one to take references from. I hear one on the radio sometimes when flying myself. Will have to take a note of the registration and where he's going to/from.

Cheers,

Martin

Quote Originally Posted by T6flyer View Post
    Now why didn't I think of that...another one to add to the list. Thanks!!

Martin
    no worries.... was the first thing that sprang to mind

Quote Originally Posted by T6flyer View Post
    I do appreciate your comments....hope you enjoy the Sprint. Think that there are 4 flying in the UK, so nothing is impossible. As to the ARV Super 2, thats another one that has escaped the Pengelly radar. A worthy candidate. Just to got the find the relevant material and then a real one to take references from. I hear one on the radio sometimes when flying myself. Will have to take a note of the registration and where he's going to/from.

Cheers,

Martin
    I think G-OTAL is/was based at Eaglsecott so could be the one?

Maybe some day you'll have enough info to model one of these (only two built, unfortunately, so far).

http://www.flickr.com/photos/roblovesey/7578478258/

just a few more rivets to place here and there then i can get onto the scheme she should (in my opinion) have been wearing...

Martin, i have noticed a rotated pair of polys on the fuselage side....... starboard side, starting at the canopy leading upright... see image attached....

Spirit

Oops
    Don't know how that crept in Matt. I'd got the mapping of that poly 90 deg out but how & why escapes me.
    You'll find I've now reloaded a revised fileset version 1.02 for the Sprint in the Britsim library.
    Cheers
    Dave M(oly)

Cheers Dave :salute:

guess this means i have to get back in my paint shed now

[QUOTE=guess this means i have to get back in my paint shed now [/QUOTE]
    Well, not necessarily now Matt. Any time in the next half hour will do.
    Cheers
    Dave M(oly)

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Wynn View Post
    just a few more rivets to place here and there then i can get onto the scheme she should (in my opinion) have been wearing...
    Yeah.....about that paint scheme. Well it was cheap! And dad never intended to own G-OAGI originally. She's actually for sale at the moment. There were actually originally some plans for a red and blue swoosh scheme, i'll see if i can find the drawings anywhere.
    All modern aircraft have four dimensions: Length, Width, Height and Polotics. The TSR.2 simply got the first three right

by should have been wearing i mean a service scheme, type accepted by the RAF :salute:

she looks good in nearly everything she gets dressed in! if you can find the 'swoosh scheme' plans.... Fantastic!

Yeah, see what you mean there . The "swoosh" was from the brief period when BLAC owned the project. It looked quite fun though. If I can't find it I'll draw it in rough on some profiles.
    All modern aircraft have four dimensions: Length, Width, Height and Polotics. The TSR.2 simply got the first three right

Lovely model! This isn't the same as the light aircraft/microlight hanging in an entrance to Trago Mills at Newton Abbot is it?
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

SPRINT ?

Not seen it but I'm wondering if you may be talking about the MW-2 Excalibur G-BDDX which was also sponsored by Mike Robinson and was reported to be on display somewhere in that area.
    OTOH that was a twin boom pusher with a ducted fan, a forerunner of the Optica type. Not easy to confuse that and the Sprint, so I'll be quiet now.
    Cheers
    Dave M(oly)

Quote Originally Posted by molyned View Post
    Not seen it but I'm wondering if you may be talking about the MW-2 Excalibur G-BDDX which was also sponsored by Mike Robinson and was reported to be on display somewhere in that area.
    OTOH that was a twin boom pusher with a ducted fan, a forerunner of the Optica type. Not easy to confuse that and the Sprint, so I'll be quiet now.
    Cheers
    Dave M(oly)
    Dave you're right, it's a twin boom pusher (G-BDDX) that's hanging in Newton Abbot shopping 'mall'

Attachment 73531

That's the one, it's been a while...
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

Quote Originally Posted by hairyspin View Post
    That's the one, it's been a while...
    Been at Trago Mills sometime now. Before that was on display at Flambards near Helston. Shame that what with the way the aeroplane is displayed, that there is no plaque or stand to say what it is. Think people would be interested to know of its past.

And don't think we will be adding it to our list either. I'd need a step ladder to have a look inside and it wasn't known for its performance either. Only managed one brief flight in 1976 when it flew down the main runway at St.Mawgan.

Martin

nearly there, Martin, any thought on fin number and Registration? you'll also note, the seats and interior have a new colour...

Attachment 73556

Members who have read this thread: 28