How do you land
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you land

Charter Member 2015

How do you land

Was wondering how different people land their aircraft. For a long time I would land from the outside view rear of the aircraft. Now I land in VC mode with tracker on. To line up I play it by the seat of my pants - no special spot in cockpit - because my tracker is on and I can look around. Also may center the top of the runway with the bottom. The top being smaller because it's further away.

David

depends on the plane, some planes give me very poor visibility when landing and then i use spot view.

Blog Entries
    Badly!

well, i might land badly but i always get up and walk away... the first sign of a good landing!

I allways land from the vc,anyway else would be totally unrealistic for me.You can allways raise your eyepoint for a little better visability over the panel.

Colin,

Roger - If you can walk away it's a good landing. If you can immediately re-use the airplane it's a great landing. :ernae:

Glenn

Quote Originally Posted by glennc View Post
    Colin,

Roger - If you can walk away it's a good landing. If you can immediately re-use the airplane it's a great landing. :ernae:

Glenn
    define immediately!!!!!

I'll refrain from posting a detailed response of my techniques....:d

Awwww,
    Come on Panther.We all know that if Crash and Burn was a world sport you would be champion....lol.

Buddha13
    Who is the bigger fool,The fool or the man who listens to the fool.

Friends are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons....For you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

After lunch.

Quote Originally Posted by krazycolin View Post
    define immediately!!!!!

I always land from the VC.

Track IR is wonderful for being able to sit up & look around the cowl/sides of the aircraft's nose.
    Regards, Bob

Core i7-9470 4.4GHz 8MB Cache | Dual 2GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 | 16GB DDR3 SDRAM at 2300Mhz | 500GB Samsung Evo SSD | 2TB Seagate Barracuda | 1200 Watt Power Supply| Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit

I do it from VC most times, sometimes I switch to spot as soon as I am over the runway, to watch touchdown, but not too often...

And I try to touch the ground with the wheels only, not flying upside down is extremly helpful for that aspect...

6297J
    From the VC of course. Anything else would completely miss the point of using a Sim.

vc - here I thought this discussion was more about technique than camera view...

I like a nice smooth descent whenever possible - a settle, rather than a dive whenever possible - however some approaches call for a steeper line maybe due to terrain, trees or buildings / neighborhoods under the pattern.

I like to look at the aircraft briefly from the external views while in flight because of REX and the lighting effects in FSX but never on departure or landing - as the man said - landing in external view defeats the purpose of the sim and would make those 3d modelers wonder why they spent so much effort making them as accurate, beautiful and functional as they have obviously strived to do.
    enter..the Sandman

visit Heywood Planes - YouTube

SOH-CM-2024
    In most cases the VC, but with airliners and bombers, anything with a long noses, I'll cheat and got to the 2-D with instruments.

I normally will not do a serious flight unless it is a plane with a VC I can live with, i.e. Carenado's Mentor, Piglet's Mite, etc.

Caz

Colin:

Ya must be having a blast with the U-bird then! I always land from the VC. With some planes (such as the U-bird) I will shift the eye position, which is mapped to a hat on my X-52, to the left such as to sight along the side of the cowling. Think of your dog's view from the rear side window as you drive along......

I think that flying from the VC gives the best clues to attitude, if sometimes not the best view of the runway.

Cheers: T.

Blog Entries
    I always land from the VC. I say land but mine are more controlled crashes.

Ian

chinookmark
    I always take off and land from the VC. If I really want to watch from the outside, I'll either watch a replay, or have a new window open in the corner with spot view. This is especially nice with AI carriers, because they don't show up in replay.

I've been landing using the ILS a lot recently. Not autopilot or flight director, just following the needles to keep me on course and at a nice decent. Otherwise, I usually come in too steep.

I always land, as well as taxi, takeoff, and fly, from the virtual cockpit. I try to make it as real as possible and use exterior views for screen shots. I do admit to using the exterior view on the ground if I'm flying from an unfamiliar airport. Before flight I will look around and make note of the runways and taxiways, then kick the tires and light the fires.

gajit
    Neither - i just shut my eyes :isadizzy:

Works for me in real world so why not in the sim

In the older sims I would use the outside view but now it is all VC. When landing the Big birds in VC, I can only hope that the runway will be there when the nose of the aircraft comes down..lol.

Jim

Being serious (sorta) this time. I agree with the others, I fly from the VC because I can't do it any other way with the real thing. I do pop out to sport view occasionally to enjoy the sunrise/sunset, scenery.

Glenn

SOH-CM-2014
    The land where dust is manufactured and people are high temp tested!
    I 'usually' land in VC view, as when I am doing a actual fun flight (no testing and tweaking involved).

But there are times when I have to see the bird from outside, just to the rear side, and see it touch the tarmac. I think its a cool shot to see the bird touching down. But its equally as good being in the VC too.

When doing landings in VC mode, I like a good, flared touch down where the bird momentarily hovers over the runway, then gently sinks down to touch the ground softly. But that can usually mean the nose is pretty high up in angle, so I raise my seat (view) about 3 or 4 notches so the view is higher and I can see over the panel. (Thats if I am not running Track IR.. With TrackIR, I just raise up out of my seat a bit and it adjusts in the monitor view).

When testing, its usually outside view though.. Thats testing though, not really like flying..

Bill
    Humble Poly bender and warrior of Vertices

Alienware Console i7 3770 CPU 3.40 GHz / 16 Gigs of RAM / GTX660 GC w/2 Gigs of VRAM / Windows 7 64 Ultimate
    Running 3X Samsung 840 SSD HD's, 200 Gig each, 500/500 Read/Write

Quote Originally Posted by gajit View Post
    Neither - i just shut my eyes :isadizzy:

Works for me in real world so why not in the sim
    Mental note: never go flying with Gajit. :costumes:

I tend to use 2d without instruments - just the text at the top to monitor my speed. On approach, drop flaps, airbrakes, gear and anything else that will slow me down as late as possible. Come to think of it, I would never of made a good airline pilot :costumes:

If I get Track IR, I will probably use the VC more.