1st shots with the D5100

Thread: 1st shots with the D5100

1st shots with the D5100

OK I am just getting back into taking pics with a DSLR so these are the trial run from my recent week off. Nothing special just some scenery, and no post processing except to compress the RAW images to jpg so I could upload then here. Any pointers are appreciated, these were all shot RAW apature preferred, no other tweaking yet.

Attachment 70040Attachment 70043Attachment 70041Attachment 70042
    Regards,
    Mike "Ears Hopin" P.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Freedom , everyone enjoys it, very few defend it. - If You Won't Stand Behind Our Troops then feel free to stand in front!

Nothing wrong with any of those !

As you're shooting RAW you may like to explore the range of the two "dark images" and see if you're loosing anything in the deep shadows, but neither actually needs improvement.

Alastair

Here's something to help out you & Cazzie..

Quote Originally Posted by Panther_99FS View Post
    Thanks P. I was rather disappointed in the documentation that came with the camera even the addition pdf on the CD did not cover very much. I have been looking around the Canadian Nikon site and not come across anything like this. Now I know what I will be doing before I head out for the next road trip on Sat...lol
    Regards,
    Mike "Ears Hopin" P.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Freedom , everyone enjoys it, very few defend it. - If You Won't Stand Behind Our Troops then feel free to stand in front!

SOH-CM-2024
    Thanks P., that explains a lot, especially the Effects modes. I still prefer using Bracketing to shoot three HDR images to the HDR in-camera function. RAW images in Bracketeing can only be done in the AE setting for Bracketing, any only and you can only shoot JPEG.

Great shots gigabyte. I am finding also that by far Manual focus is best for micro-photography, along with a tripod, which I generally use anyhow.

Caz

One of my more "famous" D5100 shots here...

Corpus Christi Mermaid Halfback/Linebacker Tanya Ramirez Lines Up by RedTail_Panther, on Flickr

One of my more "famous" D5100 shots here...

Corpus Christi Mermaid Halfback/Linebacker Tanya Ramirez Lines Up by RedTail_Panther, on Flickr
    OMG I want one, PLEASE!

So much better thank anything I have ever shot... droollliiinnnggg......
    Regards,
    Mike "Ears Hopin" P.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

SOH-CM-2024
    Should we expect less from our Panther?

She does look better than most of the masculine females he posts.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Cazzie View Post
    Should we expect less from our Panther?

She does look better than most of the masculine females he posts.
    Ain't that the truth!
    John

My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II

AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz
    32 GB DDR5 RAM
    3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
    RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

Blog Entries
    You will enjoy the D5100, Mike. It is a nice camera. If you haven't already found them, two sites that can provide a lot of answers to questions are Nikonians.org and Nikon Cafe. I am a member of Nikonians (jmiguez) and Mr P. hangs out at Nikon Cafe.

One point on the camera. Many people feel Nikons tend to under expose a bit and so they crank in 1/3-2/3 positive E.V. compensation. A couple of your pictures looked to me to be slightly under exposed. (I use the histogram a lot in my exposures. I am an "expose to the right" believer in most shots. So I just up the exposure until I am almost bumping up against the right side of the histogram scale.)

Nice shots. I want to get back up the NS again. I loved it.

P.S. If you haven't done so, you might want to check out fellow Nova Scotian Peter Spense. He does beautiful work. (He should, he shoots Nikon )
    John

32 GB DDR5 RAM
    3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive

SOH Staff .."Bartender" AussieMan's Avatar
    Have signed up with both but not really keen on Nikonians. Don't believe in having to pay money or having to make a certain number of posts in ordeer to belong to the forum. Nikon Cafe looks good though.

Cheers
    Pat

"Some people might say that freedom is being alone in the bush with the only sounds being the murmurs from the birds ... but I believe freedom is at 5000 feet with no other sound than the engine roaring."- William Hutchison, a young man taken from us far too young (16).

Blog Entries
    P and I have talked about those two sites. I first went to Nikonians when I had my D40. I didn't want to pay the $25 bucks a year, so I went to Nikon Cafe. I later came back to Nikonians. I consider the $25 to be the cheapest investment in photography I have spent, and one of the best.

They are both good places to ask and learn.
    John

32 GB DDR5 RAM

Quote Originally Posted by AussieMan View Post
    Nikon Cafe looks good though.
    It is...:mixedsmi:

SOH-CM-2024
    I'm on at Nikon Cafe also, great place Panther. A black & white shot of my baby kitty, Fancy, two years old. "P" (Priority setting) on D5100, standard 18-55-mm lens, set at 35-mm. Hand held, 800 ISO (Nikon has the least noise at high ISOs, than any camera I have used). JPEG Fine, Manual focus. Initially processed single shot HDR in Photomatix Pro, then post processed in Photoshop.

Nice one there Cazz!

Blog Entries
    Well done! Excellent sharpness and unfocussed background.
    John

32 GB DDR5 RAM

Quote Originally Posted by jmig View Post
    You will enjoy the D5100, Mike. It is a nice camera. If you haven't already found them, two sites that can provide a lot of answers to questions are Nikonians.org and Nikon Cafe. I am a member of Nikonians (jmiguez) and Mr P. hangs out at Nikon Cafe.

One point on the camera. Many people feel Nikons tend to under expose a bit and so they crank in 1/3-2/3 positive E.V. compensation. A couple of your pictures looked to me to be slightly under exposed. (I use the histogram a lot in my exposures. I am an "expose to the right" believer in most shots. So I just up the exposure until I am almost bumping up against the right side of the histogram scale.)

Nice shots. I want to get back up the NS again. I loved it.

P.S. If you haven't done so, you might want to check out fellow Nova Scotian Peter Spense. He does beautiful work. (He should, he shoots Nikon )
    Thanks jmig I will be checking those sites for sure. I am still playing with the settings to see what to expect, those first shots were all aperture preferred and I did not push the exposure at all, I was going for a little darker image on some shots. I played with shutter preferred this week and I think the next step will be what you suggest. I want to get comfortable with the box before the air show on the 25th so I have been burning up the battery learning how this rig handles - I am very pleased so far.

I also want to dig into Photoshop some more, I really like some of the things I have seen done to enhance a good pic.

Thanks also for the tip on Peter Spence, I love his stuff, it is very cool to see so many of the scenes I visit and have or will soon shoot, done by a real pro. I love the scenery shots of the light houses and the fishing shacks, I especially love the ones from Quiddy Viddly NL - the shack built hanging on the rocks, that is such a cool place.
    Regards,
    Mike "Ears Hopin" P.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

You guys need to try out the selective color feature for videos & images....:mixedsmi:

You guys need to try out the selective color feature for videos & images....:mixedsmi:
    That is very high on my list of things to learn, the weather was for crap this weekend so I did not get out but I am planning some pic sessions at a local beach inn the evenings this week.
    Regards,
    Mike "Ears Hopin" P.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]