~ MS Flight done ~

Thread: ~ MS Flight done ~

Quote Originally Posted by boxcar View Post

Yup. Poke a fork in it, it's done....

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/a...-columbia.aspx

Reports on Twitter and Facebook this afternoon suggested the company closed its Vancouver games studio and laid off 35 employees. Microsoft confirmed the studio did not close but was unable to provide comment on any layoffs at this time.
    MS seems to love walking in on FS development teams and giving them pink slips without notice.
    Same day they released the Carbon Cub. :isadizzy:
    Hope they keep the servers operating for a while.
    Be a bummer to spend that much on DLC's and have them shut off the switch.

Quote Originally Posted by Dain Arns View Post
    Yup. Poke a fork in it, it's done....

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/a...-columbia.aspx

MS seems to love walking in on FS development teams and giving them pink slips without notice.
    Same day they released the Carbon Cub. :isadizzy:
    Hope they keep the servers operating for a while.
    Be a bummer to spend that much on DLC's and have them shut off the switch.
    No further development for Flight but the servers are still up for the foreseeable future. It still is available for download, it is just that no more content is to be expected.

If it wasn't so sad it would be laughable! Honestly though, Alaska was nice but not enough to keep me interested in the "sim"
    Kind of sorry I spent the money on any of it now!
    :toilet:
    Intel I7 8700 16gb DDR4 RAM GTX 1060 3GB with Windows 10

This was almost foreseeable, although I'm a bit surprised that it happens so soon.

Mark
    My scenery development galleries:
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/x0skkam7xu8zz8r/DFwnonB1nH

Solomon 1943 V2 Open beta download: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/download...on-1943-V2.zip
    Solomon 1943 V2 update 2013-02-05 download: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/download...2013-02-05.zip

Current Project: DHC-4 / C-7a Caribou by Tailored Radials
    Dev-Gallery at https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qjdtcoxeg...bAG-2V4Ja?dl=0

Requiem .... :salute:
    :isadizzy:Italo

Members +

It may be so,however yesterday a new plane was added..The Carbon Cub,complete model...It may very well be the "GAME" aspect of "FLIGHT: may be waning,but for many,the "SIM" part may not.Were FLIGHT to shut down tomorrow ,I for one still will have the superior scenery to fly over....For the Nattering Nabobs Of Negativism,other factors are in play...and quite simply "ITS THE ECONOMY STUPID"...As always that is the criteria we must use to judge by....If they are making a profit or not,the costs of operation,and other business practices...However,"FLIGHT" for many has been a big plus....Rather than Hurting FSX,or FS9,it man have had the opposite effect..that is introduce Desk Top Flying to Gamers who may find this far more interesting ,and with greater control of its in put...like the great people who have made FS9,and FSX to the great sim we have now!..They may in fact have a bigger market for their talents!..Like Mark Twain said once " "The Rumors of My Death Have Been Greatly Exaggerated."

Central reservation of the M62 in God's Own County.
    I'm afraid it was inevitable from the outset. MS got too greedy and simmers didn't take it up. OK give it 9 months then read the anouncement that Aces have re-formed and are working on FS 11 !!!!
    Remember you heard it here.
    MickeyD

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey D View Post
    I'm afraid it was inevitable from the outset. MS got too greedy and simmers didn't take it up. OK give it 9 months then read the anouncement that Aces have re-formed and are working on FS 11 !!!!
    Don't hold your breath,cause you will never see another flight sim from microsucks.

Flight was simmings last chance to be profitable for MS. There will be no more. I think flight sims are better left to smaller more agile developers anyways.
    Kevin "Gibbage" Miller

Too bad. Flight could have been something good. If they would have brought out sceneries and complete aircraft every month. And lost the points, levels and aero things. Made it into a flight sim and not a flying game.

Quote Originally Posted by robert41 View Post
    Too bad. Flight could have been something good. If they would have brought out sceneries and complete aircraft every month. And lost the points, levels and aero things. Made it into a flight sim and not a flying game.
    Microsoft could've made more money by making an expansion or an new and improved FSX.
    Roshane"Python" Samarasekara

Who said Kiwis can't fly?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    i5 3570K @ 4.6ghz | Asrock Z77 Extreme4 | G.Skill 16GB Ares | EVGA Nvidia GTX 660 SC | Coolermaster X6 Heatsink | Corsair C70 Case | Seasonic 620W PSU

Central reservation of the M62 in God's Own County.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thoe6969 View Post
    Don't hold your breath,cause you will never see another flight sim from microsucks.
    I said Aces. Who said anything about Microsucks?
    MickeyD

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey D View Post
    Looking for the Aces team? Look no further...

http://www.cascadegamefoundry.com/team/

"The studio has some of the most talented simulation designers in the business, but it will live or die on its unit sales, and the traditional simulation audience is too select to offer much security. Factor in the challenging economic conditions, and turning Aces’ quiet success into something that can sustain an independent business seems a daunting challenge."

"Cascade’s focus will still be on simulation, but Flood and Selby want to use their fresh start as an opportunity to rethink the genre and what it stands for. If you aren’t a fan of the Flight Simulator games, there’s an excellent chance your opinion of them will skew towards the negative. They are an acquired taste, and offer a take on fun that doesn’t chime with the average gamer’s definition of the term. The Cascade team understands this all too well, and intends to bring simulation into the 21st Century."

"A key component of Cascade’s ambition to reach a wider audience is what Flood calls “sliders on reality”. They will allow players to have control over just how much detail and depth they want the gameplay to include; it’s a small acknowledgement that, however much the Cascade team feel that detail is vital to true simulation, the average gamer won’t necessarily feel the same way."

"Satiating the core sim audience and broadening the genre’s appeal seem like mutually exclusive goals, but these “sliders on reality” could be an ideal solution. “The dangers of appealing only to the hardcore audience are big development costs and a relatively limited audience size, neither of which are welcome in today’s economy,” Flood says. “But, if we can deliver an accurate, riveting world and also leverage it to be accessible to a larger community, we can keep costs down and throw open the doors to a huge new audience.

We want to be respectful of the traditions, but embrace new technologies and modern audience expectations rather than rehash our previous work. The team is incredibly diverse with tremendous experience across all types of videogames – simulation, action, racing, strategy, and sports. We also have experience working on related technologies, like operating systems and instructional design… Working on games often provides unusual opportunities to combine these.”

Article: http://www.gamestm.co.uk/features/the-simulation-game/

Attachment 69770

"Time is God's way of keeping everything from happening at once"

Never downloaded it, but considering the rediculously short run it had MS should refund all the money the public spent on this (scam?).

Same here...As soon as I got my monster back in January, I got the FSX gold pack at a cheap price...looked at flight....saw what it was....never crossed my mind again....noting ventured, nothing wasted....

No surprise. Still picked up the cub though. Compared to FSX I really haven't invested a lot of money into this and still have two vast areas to explore. It's worth the coin for that quick fix which is all I do nowadays when it comes to flightsimming. Quick 15 minute sessions.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Source A: Microsoft Studios in Vancouver, the studio working on a AAA Kinect Shooter, has cancelled Microsoft Flight and Project Columbia and reportedly laid off all 35 members of its staff.
    In a statement obtained by Polygon, Microsoft said: "Microsoft Studios has decided to end development on Microsoft Flight and Project Columbia. As a result of this action, some positions within the development teams have been eliminated. Microsoft human resources is working with the affected individuals to find new roles within the company."
    "Microsoft Studios is always evaluating its portfolio of products to determine what is best for gamers, families and the company, and this decision was the result of the natural ebb and flow of our portfolio management. Many factors were considered in the difficult decision to stop development on Microsoft Flight and Project Columbia, but we feel it will help us better align with our long-term goals and development plans. For Microsoft Flight, we will continue to support the community that has embraced the title and the game will still be available to download for free at http://www.microsoft.com/games/flight/."
    The statement continues: "Microsoft Studios is invested in British Columbia and still has several teams, both in Vancouver and Victoria, which will continue to produce the best entertainment and gaming experiences possible."
    A post appearing on a Facebook page dedicated to innovation in Vancouver announced that the entire staff at Microsoft Vancouver had been laid off as a result of the project cancellations.
    The post reads: "We've just gotten word that the entire studio at Microsoft Games Studios on 840 Cambie has been laid off. 35 people in total. This is nuts. We'll update with more when we can."
    Some Microsoft Vancouver employees took to Twitter to hint at the lay-offs, such as Tara Mustapha who tweeted: "This is what one wears when they get laid... Off. #jobsearch" and "These guys... Hella awesome <333 adopt one today!"
    Another former employee, Mia Jerri, tweeted: "Now I can add 'casualty of the Vancouver games industry' to my list of achievements. On a good note, the weather is LOVELY today."http://www.theverge.com/gaming/2012/...ncels-projects

Source B: "Microsoft Flight" was a new PC game from Microsoft Game Studios that brought a new perspective to the long-standing "Flight Simulator" franchise. Unfortunately, due to cuts, all 35 staff members have been laid off and the game is no longer in development, however, it is still being supported for the time being. "Microsoft Studios has decided to end development on Microsoft Flight and Project Columbia. As a result of this action, some positions within the development teams have been eliminated. Microsoft human resources is working with the affected individuals to find new roles within the company. Microsoft Studios is always evaluating its portfolio of products to determine what is best for gamers, families and the company, and this decision was the result of the natural ebb and flow of our portfolio management. Many factors were considered in the difficult decision to stop development on Microsoft Flight and Project Columbia, but we feel it will help us better align with our long-term goals and development plans. For Microsoft Flight, we will continue to support the community that has embraced the title and the game will still be available to download for free at http://www.microsoft.com/games/flight/." http://www.winbeta.org/news/microsof...uSEMQ8.twitter

I could care less about 'Flight' but obviously staff loyalty counts for nothing.
    Bloody Muppets!!!
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

WRT to the above post...

1. At least two employees of MS who were on the Flight team will be remaining in position to keep the support forum at Steam as well as the support email system working, as well as maintaining the aerocache server and LIVE server(s) properly running.

2. All of the folks who worked on Flight worked out a suite of offices on the Microsoft Campus in Redmond, Washington...

...not - please take note - in Vancouver!

3. The total staff working on Flight consisted of fifty-two persons. The reported thirty-seven laid off in Vancouver were part of the "Project Columbia" team.
    Bill Leaming
    3d Modeler Max/GMax
    C & XML Gauge Programmer

Military Visualizations
    http://milviz.com

Intel® Core™ i7-3770k 4.2GHz - Crucial 16GB DDR3 - Dual Radeon HD770 1GB DDR5 (Crossfire) - Eco II Watercooling - Win7 64bit
    Intel® Core™ i7-2600k 3.4GHz - Crucial 8GB DDR3 - NVIDIA EVGA GTX-770 SC 4GB - Win7 64bit

Question

Is there a correlation to when Microsoft went awry with Flight Simulator software & Bill Gates stepping way with Steve Ballmer coming to power at Microsoft :ques:

I honestly believe that there is a correlation, abeit one that would be difficult -if not impossible- to prove.
    Bill Leaming
    3d Modeler Max/GMax
    C & XML Gauge Programmer

Military Visualizations
    http://milviz.com

Intel® Core™ i7-3770k 4.2GHz - Crucial 16GB DDR3 - Dual Radeon HD770 1GB DDR5 (Crossfire) - Eco II Watercooling - Win7 64bit
    Intel® Core™ i7-2600k 3.4GHz - Crucial 8GB DDR3 - NVIDIA EVGA GTX-770 SC 4GB - Win7 64bit

SOH-CM-2014
    The land where dust is manufactured and people are high temp tested!
    Quote Originally Posted by Panther_99FS View Post
    Is there a correlation to when Microsoft went awry with Flight Simulator software & Bill Gates stepping way with Steve Ballmer coming to power at Microsoft :ques:
    I believe so. From what I heard, Bill Gates loved the FS franchise and it was a baby of the MS empire.

When Bill left, bad things started happening.

I miss him. And I miss Steve. and Aces..

(Apple cancelled the 17" laptop. MORONS! Steve wouldnt have done that. But thats off topic).
    Humble Poly bender and warrior of Vertices

Alienware Console i7 3770 CPU 3.40 GHz / 16 Gigs of RAM / GTX660 GC w/2 Gigs of VRAM / Windows 7 64 Ultimate
    Running 3X Samsung 840 SSD HD's, 200 Gig each, 500/500 Read/Write

I know it's tempting to cast aspersions at MS. Please note though, we are not talking about that lack of support for any Apple Flight Sim, are we?

I tend to agree with Lionheart vis a vis Mr. Gates. I think FS was one of his babies.
    Basic Flying Rules: "Try to stay in the middle of the air. Do not go near the edges of it. The edges of the air can be recognized by the appearance of ground, buildings, sea, trees and interstellar space. It is much more difficult to fly there."