Graphics card or CPU?

Thread: Graphics card or CPU?

Graphics card or CPU?

Just recently got Real Environment Xtreme, and unfortunatley i cant use the HD 4096x4096 textures.
    The TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=4096 setting required for them causes some terrible stuttering.

So what i would like to know what part is responsible for this and needs to be upgraded, the graphics card or the CPU?

My graphics card is a GeForce 9800GTX+ 512mb with a 256bit memory interface.
    My CPU is an Intel Core 2 Duo E6700 overclocked to 3ghz with a 1333mhz FSB.

Need to get it figured out so i can prioritize upgrades

Actually, both CPU and video card are more than enough for 4096 size textures.
    I'd rather defragment the FSX drive first and then play around with the Texture_Bandwidth_Mult setting in the fsx.cfg.

already defragmented twice in the past few days, though FSX is on the main C drive. also tried playing around with Texture_Bandwidht_Mult first trying to set it to 160 and then 400 but it did not make any difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexraptor View Post
    already defragmented twice in the past few days, though FSX is on the main C drive. also tried playing around with Texture_Bandwidht_Mult first trying to set it to 160 and then 400 but it did not make any difference.
    Alex, did you use the DXT5 option in REX?

The maximum setting for the multiplicator is 80, by the way. Larger values are ignored by FSX.

I tried setting it to 80 and sure enough it worked!
    I am now flying with High-Def 4096x4096 clouds, thanks!

Now if only i could resolve the other stutter problems im having(see other thread).

Members who have read this thread: 0