Dirty paint for FR Super Cub Ultra
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dirty paint for FR Super Cub Ultra

Dirty paint for FR Super Cub Ultra

For those who like their bush planes dirty, a fictional Arctic Circle Air Services repaint. With all the mud you can bear!

Download here.

SOH-CM-2014
    The land where dust is manufactured and people are high temp tested!
    Great job on the mud splattering!

That is hard to do!
    Humble Poly bender and warrior of Vertices

Alienware Console i7 3770 CPU 3.40 GHz / 16 Gigs of RAM / GTX660 GC w/2 Gigs of VRAM / Windows 7 64 Ultimate
    Running 3X Samsung 840 SSD HD's, 200 Gig each, 500/500 Read/Write

Charter Member 2012
    Wow - very good - looks like my jeep at the moment!

Thanks guys! And Bill you are right, I think 80% of the painting time went into tweaking the mud. I will probably try to even improve the muddiness effect on my next paint, it's pretty difficult to make smooth transitions over "texture seams".

ps. just tried if I could clean those tires by skimming in water, but no avail

SOH-CM-2014
    The land where dust is manufactured and people are high temp tested!
    Quote Originally Posted by bushpilot View Post

ps. just tried if I could clean those tires by skimming in water, but no avail
    Now that would be realism... Washing the plane down!
    Humble Poly bender and warrior of Vertices

Alienware Console i7 3770 CPU 3.40 GHz / 16 Gigs of RAM / GTX660 GC w/2 Gigs of VRAM / Windows 7 64 Ultimate
    Running 3X Samsung 840 SSD HD's, 200 Gig each, 500/500 Read/Write

Amazingly enough there is an Arctic Circle Air, in Fairbanks Alaska, which gave me my first professional flying job cirica 1984. Dirty cubs usually have some mud thrown up off of the wheels striped along the bottom of the wings above the wheels.

T

Quote Originally Posted by fliger747 View Post
    Amazingly enough there is an Arctic Circle Air, in Fairbanks Alaska

Yep, I found out that also while making this paint.

And thanks for the info re mud, I may try to cook up something like that.

That's some mighty fine looking dirt on those tundra tires. Nice work.

Another scheme uploaded. Real life aircraft belonging to Ultima Thule Lodge in Alaska. I revised the dirt effects a bit to make smoother transitions, and also added subtle fading/weathering. Get it here.

Charter Member 2012
    Wonderfully done.

This was one of my attempts with the standard cub package to try and get faded canvas textures. I might take another look thanks to your insparation.
    :salute:

Canvas was not used as an aircraft covering. My 1954 Supercub was originally covered in Irish Linen

It later iterations Ceconite and Stits Polyfiber was used. The earlier planes that were doped do tend to fade and chalk up a bit, the new ones seem to be pretty resistant, even the red that my plane is currently in. The famous glacier pilot don sheldon's old yellow cub, still in Talkeetna, os quite faded.

Cheers. T

Charter Member 2012
    Thanks - I type corrected LOL Seriously that was interesting.

Speaking of fading on Supercub textures. I'm still learning.

Charter Member 2012
    Very good

Gents, I uploaded a fixed version of Ultima Thule. Noticed one wrongly colored window frame, which had slipped through my sloppy quality control. Nothing drastic. Can be downloaded from the original link above.

Charter Member 2012
    Gents, I uploaded a fixed version of Ultima Thule. Noticed one wrongly colored window frame, which had slipped through my sloppy quality control. Nothing drastic. Can be downloaded from the original link above.
    Thats so easy done - thanks for sharing that superb paint

Glad you like it:salute: I think this Ultra model desrves all the attention it can get, it has quickly become one of my all-time favorite addon planes.

Glad you like it:salute: I think this Ultra model desrves all the attention it can get, it has quickly become one of my all-time favorite addon planes.
    I was going to buy the Ultra anyway, when I saw your Ultima Thule Paint, I bought it last night. excellent work sir, I'll take any more you have in the hopper as well! are there any quick and dirty ways to convert these to Passenger models? thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by fliger747 View Post
    Canvas was not used as an aircraft covering. My 1954 Supercub was originally covered in Irish Linen

It later iterations Ceconite and Stits Polyfiber was used. The earlier planes that were doped do tend to fade and chalk up a bit, the new ones seem to be pretty resistant, even the red that my plane is currently in. The famous glacier pilot don sheldon's old yellow cub, still in Talkeetna, os quite faded.

Cheers. T
    You Supercub guys, always a cut above. My Pacer came with grade A cotton.

Pacers have quite a cult following as bush beater planes! So , I believe (know) the term was funky, which was a counterculture in phrase. Hey my 1954nCub, I purchased for $7,500 in 1975 is now worth over a hunnert???? Ouch!

T

Quote Originally Posted by ShawnG View Post
    I was going to buy the Ultra anyway, when I saw your Ultima Thule Paint, I bought it last night. excellent work sir, I'll take any more you have in the hopper as well! are there any quick and dirty ways to convert these to Passenger models? thanks again!

Since Ultima Thule "Alpha" paint seems to be popular, I'm also doing its brother "Tango"

I haven't tried if the cargo paints work with other models, but I'll look into it.

Will these paints work on the other flight replicas cubs?

Tom

I only got the Ultra package, so haven't got the slightest idea. But there's no harm testing, right..:costum:

Quote Originally Posted by tomford View Post
    Will these paints work on the other flight replicas cubs?

Tom
    Hi Tom,

No, the Ultra is a new model - schemes for older Cubs won't work.

And those are some really nice repaints being done!

Mike

Members who have read this thread: 5