How do I make multiple installs?

Thread: How do I make multiple installs?

Blog Entries

How do I make multiple installs?

How do I make multiple installs? Seems they keep interfering with each other. If I make a change in one, like the default flight, it changes all the install's default flights. :isadizzy:

Thanks for your input.

Geary

Rename the FS9.exe in your extra install (FS99.exe or FS9a.exe) and it will make a new FS99 or FS9a.cfg when you start it. Each cfg can be tuned differently.

One thing to note is that scenery.cfg is shared and will rebuild each time you start either.
    Tom Constantine
    -------------------
    TOH Forums
    http://mainescenery.proboards.com/

Blog Entries
    Thanks, but I don't understand the part about the cfg being shared? Do all the installs share the same cfg?

SOH-CM-2024
    Geary,

Here's how i did it.

I first had FS9.1 installed (which reads simply FS9.exe in the root folder. this is where you have to rename the FS9.exe to like Tim said, FS99.exe or in my case FS9.1.exe. To avoid confusion, I also renamed the Flight Simulator 9 Root Folder and the desktop icon shortcut. to Flight Simulator 9.1.

I then did a complete install FS9 again and renamed the FS9.exe in the root folder to FSGW3.exe The root Folder and new FS9 desktop ico shortcut were also renamed FSGW3.

I then installed Bill Lyon's Golden Wings 3 package.

Once done, I go back and rename Flight Similator 9.1 to Flight Simulator 9 and FS9.1.exe to FS0.exe.

Caz

Quote Originally Posted by GearyMcS View Post
    Thanks, but I don't understand the part about the cfg being shared? Do all the installs share the same cfg?
    If you rename the exe file, each install will have it''s own FS9??.cfg and they will not interfere with each other. Whatever you do though, don't remove the default C172 from any install.

Each install has a scenery.cfg in it's root directory that is seperate and distinct BUT that cfg is copied to a master scenery.cfg, so each time you start a different version it will say it is rebuilding the scenery. Nothing to worry about beyond a few extra seconds to start up.
    Tom Constantine
    -------------------
    TOH Forums
    http://mainescenery.proboards.com/

Charter Member 2011
    Geary
    This is possibly going from sublime to ridiculous...
    I have a second hard drive, on which is a minimum install of WIN XP. Installed under that is my "hardcore" FS9 installation.
    This contains no rubbish, only my favourite textures, sceneries, and (relatively few) aircraft.
    To get there you need to change the boot disk order in the BIOS (by pressing Delete during reboot and selecting it).
    The sim does not recognize other copies of FS9 and FSX (Now on the "E:\" Drive under this OS).
    It's a wonderful debugging tool, but also the best simming experience under the sun.

Members who have read this thread: 1