Silent Hunter 4

Thread: Silent Hunter 4

harleyman

Silent Hunter 4

I bought this Gold Edition on sale for 18 bucks on DVD...So far its been fairly fun...The graphics are great and my rig runs it flawlessly...

It does however have a big learning curb,and to me thats not a good thing...I like to install and go.....But with this there is no go without homework...Not real intrested in going back to school....LOL:costumes:

I also enjoy working in my wood shop.I like to build smaller type projects,like Lamps,small tables,book cases, picture frames and such..Nothing real fancy..Just good jointery and lumber used with lots of stains and clear coats...Some are painted to match the other in room furniture....

I used to model,but hav enot done it for years .I spend most of my free time now on my computer...

The only thing that I did not like about SH4 was that you apparetly could not use it with a joystick. For example trying to aim the guns with the keyboard is bit of a trial.

Certainly great graphics!

Merry Christmas! T.

harleyman
    Thats true...I hardly played it for that reason...But I got a game controller for Christmas that one day I will try out....LOL

Happy Holidays to Ya all...

Still prefer Silent Hunter 1 meself, though it needs Win98 to run properly, it can't hack the pseudo dos in xp.

Keep up with the woodwork, that sort of talent is fast disappearing.

regards Collin:ernae:

harleyman

This is my latest project..It was for my wife for christmas..She always belly ached about her calender having a nail in the wall for it,and it needed pulled out everytime the month needed changed...So I made this with a custom pin just below the HD Bar and Shield for it to hang on.....It matches a HD chalkboard I made her last year,whick matches a step stool the year before....LOL

Hylander_1314
    Nice woodwork there Harley! It's nice to see that others still do that tyoe of stuff too. Mine is more for practical purposes like the decking in my boat. Made the panels removeable for access to the bilge especially if I needto repair the aluminum hull.

On SH4, the stock game is quite laime. Head over to Subsim.com as there a couple modded game versions that others have come up with.

One is TMO /9Trigger Maru Overhauled)

One is RFB (Real Fleetboat) very realistic command style.

And the last one, is Fall of the Rising Sun, I think.

What you will find with the realism mods is that you will only engage aircraft if you don't have radar, or you don't crash dive quick enough. The US Navy boats like their German counterparts in their Uboats avoided planes as best they could. Reading fleet skipper's logues, many of them talked about diving deep an hour before sunrise, and not surfacing until an hour after dark when they knew Japanese patrol planes were a threat in a given are of operation.

If you want to handle the guns yourself, use the mouse to operate the azimuth and elevation, and use the spacebar to fire.

Usually though I let the crew handle the guns if we can't dive fast enough, and I do every manouever I can to throw off the pilots aim when they attack. Otherwise you are too easy a target for them to pick off. Also try to keep your perpendicular to the attacking plane(s) as much as possible, as it provides the smallest target for them so they can't walk the bombs the length of your boat.

Hope this helps!

There are also a couple envirornmental mods to choose from that help improve the water and lighting effects with some really cool sunrises and sunsets on the open water.

harleyman
    Thanks....I bought SH4 when my gaming rig was apart getting some parts RMAed and it has yet to go back on ...I have been busy with the Holidays and fiddeling with FS9 again.....

But I am registered at their site and read there often about the mods and such....

You know....All of a sudden a bunch of posts from October showed up here.....I thought they were all gone in the SOH crash....Strange....

Happiness Consultant
    Hey there HM ...

Try this link ...

http://www.subsim.com/index.php

If you know about it already ... just for get it ...

Former SH4 commander here.

:friday:
    "Trust no man living with power to endanger the public liberty!" John Adams 1772

Snuffy / Ted

harleyman
    Well thanks Commander...Never been there before, But i got it bookmarked now....Thanks...

And now all the other posts are gone again......Weirder....LOL

Hylander and Snuffy are right, SubSim will have tons of upgrade mods for SHIII and 4. Come to think of it I haven't been there in almost 2 years. I gotta get back there and see what's new.
    Gary -

Goundcrew Member - Warbirds of Delaware KILG - Member 7G Club
    Member of the War Eagles Air Museum Santa Teresa, NM
    KILG Tour Coordinator and Member of Collings Foundation Stowe, Mass
    Mid Atlantic Air Museum Reading, PA.

Looks like I may have to dust off SH III and SH 4, first watch Das Boot though to get in the mood.:friday:

Make sure you get the last patch for SH 4 and install it before you play. If you don't it's best to reinstall. It will let you play without using the dvd and none of the out of box copy protection will be installed.
    Gary -

Quote Originally Posted by GT182 View Post
    Make sure you get the last patch for SH 4 and install it before you play. If you don't it's best to reinstall. It will let you play without using the dvd and none of the out of box copy protection will be installed.
    Thanks GT182.:wave:

You're very welcome Kofs.
    Gary -