I'm drowning....help!

Thread: I'm drowning....help!

I'm drowning....help!

Good dramatic title to kick things off.

Many years ago I bought, and enjoyed, all the CFS's and then gave them away to deserving causes. Now that there are so many additional add-ons available I thought I'd take a return run at it. Recently I bought a copy of CFS3 from 'Xplosiv' and installed it, apparently successfully for it ran without hesitation on its first trial outing. However, having downloaded the patches, they weren't accepted when I tried to install them. A pop-up told me repeatedly that I didn't have a copy of CFS3 installed as yet. Ditto with the 'No-crack CD file'. I wasn't quite sure where that should slot in so when that didn't do what I'd expected I wasn't too surprised. Phew.

Help would be most appreciated. is the answer an uninstall/re-install or isn't it as easy as that?
    Win 10 Pro 64-bit
    CPU Intel Core i5 6600 K
    RAM 16GB Duel channel
    M'board ASUS Tek Z170 Pro Gaming
    GPU Nvidia GeForce GTX 980
    Storage 335GB Corsair Force GS SSD

Hello Pigwiggen, and welcome to our world!

One quiet word - the no-CD patch for CFS3 DOES NOT EXIST. You have never seen it or heard of it and certainly do not mention it anywhere on this forum (not that it exists in any case) for any purpose. Doing so will get you removed so fast you'll wonder what you did wrong.

So you do not install the inexistent no-CD patch before installing the updates. Your install must be 100% pure vanilla straight from the box. If I were you, I'd uninstall using the uninstaller (and after putting the REAL cfs3.exe back, or it won't appreciate the joke) and check that you have also removed the entry in your application files folder. I'm still on XP, so on mine that means here:

C:\Documents and Settings\Your_user_name_here\Application Data\Microsoft\Combat Flight Simulator 3.0

where Your_user_name_here is... your user name. You'll need to make hidden files visible first. Delete the Combat Flight Simulator 3.0 folder in this location.

When you've done that, and made sure both the application data entry and the program files entry have been completely deleted, then reinstall from your CDs and try again. First the 3.1 patch, then the 3.1a patch, and finally the Mission Builder.

Should work...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ATTACK IN THE WEST
    MED AIRWAR

As ndicki says!

The easy shortcut to your application data folder is to type %appdata%\microsoft in the address bar of an Explorer window - this works in all versions of Windows - and the CFS3 application data folder will show in the folder window as "Combat Flight Simulator 3".

And welcome back!
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

I'm drowning....help!

Thanks to both of you for your replies. So I uninstalled, did a Search/Regedit to ensure all was clear. Within the Application Data/Microsoft folder there was no mention at all of CFS3. Then, re-installing all went well and was able to run the game but having then d/loaded the updates v3.1 and v3.1a they were not accepted. Here are the popups that appeared as I tried to be successful.Attachment 60559Attachment 60560
    Win 10 Pro 64-bit
    CPU Intel Core i5 6600 K
    RAM 16GB Duel channel

Could it be possible that the "Xplosiv" version is already patched, like the Ubisoft release?

Kev

Bit more

I was just wondering whether, having just bought this sim, the updates I'm trying to install are, in fact, already included. Is there a way in which I can dig into the files to find out if they have been added in already?
    Win 10 Pro 64-bit
    CPU Intel Core i5 6600 K
    RAM 16GB Duel channel

Kev's response

Just spotted Kev's input. He could well be correct. So I think what I'll try doing is to seek out and add something else like the ETO Expansion. Any thoughts on that?
    I'll keep you posted.
    Thanks, Kev.
    Win 10 Pro 64-bit
    CPU Intel Core i5 6600 K
    RAM 16GB Duel channel

Check version number in OPTIONS / ABOUT
    should be Version 3.1 Build 030203.01

Or...try to load a four-engine bomber...or
    fly MultiPlayer with someone (just need I.P.#)

I would try to load Korean Skies first as
    it was an early one and not as complicated to install.
    Of course, then MAW, PTO SI, ETO, PTO RS, etc, etc, etc

Live: Western Maryland. From: North Central West, By God, Virginia.
    Pigwiggen,

Uninstall CFS3 altogether and re-install.

After you do the uninstall, go into C:\Documents and Settings\User Name (Your Name)\Application Data\Microsoft and look for a folder named Combat Flight Simulator 3.0. If you find this Combat Flight Simulator 3.0 folder, delete it.

If it's not there, check in one of the other folders under Documents and Settings. There may a few with names on them other that your name. I am aware that some people operate their computers un passwords, and if you are doing this, it's probably under the Administrator folder.

Also, look for a Combat Flight Simulator 3.0 folder in C:\Documents and Settings\User Name (Your Name)\My Documents. Yes, it has the same name as the just mentioned above, but is a separate folder altogether.

After you have deleted these two Combat Flight Simulator 3.0 folders and made sure that you have uninstalled CFS3, simply re-install CFS3.

Start it up, fly it once, then shut it down.

Now install the 3.1 Update. Afterwards, start it up, fly it once, and shut down.

Now install the 3.1a Update.

Should be OK now.

Yes, it IS possible that the updates are included in that version. I can't say for certain.

Please keep us informed.

Tooth, Fang, & Claw

Another use for sheep: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2FX9rviEhw

Thanks Ndicki for the advise you gave to our new member. Yep, we do not encourage the use or discussion of any no-cd patches for Microsoft products or any other products here at Sim Outhouse. Beyond that, you ought to be able to get all the help you need here to make your cfs3 a viable working sim.
    Welcome to SOH. middle
    There are 2 constants in the universe:
    Hydrogen and stupidity!

Retreat retreat

Well, I made an extensive series of notes to take me smoothly through the Korean Theatre installation but it would not run thereafter. To my surprise, my having complained to the vendor that I felt he'd sold me a pup, he has promptly refunded my monies so I hear the bugles sounding the retreat and I'm off back to camp amongst the hills.
    I am very grateful for all your prompt help and suggestions and, one day, I'll buy another copy and try again.Meanwhile I'm off to FSX that I already have running smoothly for me.
    ​Hasta la vista!

Win 10 Pro 64-bit
    CPU Intel Core i5 6600 K
    RAM 16GB Duel channel

Short pause

​After all that it appears that I shall be back soon. A pal has a spare copy of CFS3 and is mailing it to me. Great. Gotta do something to keep you fellows on your toes.
    Au revoir.
    Win 10 Pro 64-bit
    CPU Intel Core i5 6600 K
    RAM 16GB Duel channel

Good news! Hope you get it working - there's a lot of good things to improve it with!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ATTACK IN THE WEST
    MED AIRWAR

FirestormII and Hairyspin. What is PTO SI? (Have n't seen of it before).

I wonder if anyone would be kind enought to put a simple list (ie: 1 to 7 ???; (OFF onwards...etc)) of all the Expansion Versions up in the 'Installation Guide' thread (or somewhere easy to find around there).

Would make it easy for newcomers (even very young ones: there's no violence by today's standards) to see what's available to find.

LOL, but I had my Disc for year+ before stumbling on SOH, then adding files before realising Expansions existed!
    (I know, know,........silly me....) Just an idea.

Ian

PTO SI = PTO Solomon Islands, the original Pacific theatre for CFS3.

In contrast to PTO RS - PTO Rising Sun, the most recent expansion with (currently) seven separate Far Eastern theatres in one handy pack, lol!
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

Members who have read this thread: 0