Malware Heads-up.... Again

Thread: Malware Heads-up.... Again

Exclamation Malware Heads-up.... Again

While on another site I belong to, and looking at a link for a map from WWII, I was hit again by an antivirus software installer. Name is - XP Antivirus 2012. This is an updated version of that last one I was hit with. You DO NOT know you have it until it pops up and runs. You cannot get rid of it, your antivirus software and your OS firewall will shutdown. It even stops Microsoft Security Essentials from running. It will also get by your router's firewall.

The only way I was able to get rid of it is by System Restore. Yeah, power up and tap F8 continuousely to get into Safe Mode. But here's the hitch. You MUST go in as the Administrator. If you try any other way to log in this malware will not let you go to System Restore. By using Admin you will go directly to System Restore. Run SR and this crap will be taken out of the loop and your computer will run ok once again.

If you don't get rid of it, it will not let you run various programs. They will be concidered malware by this piece of crap. And... you will have to pay for it's registration license. Thank the Russian programers for this crap.... as that's where it comes from from what I can figure out. It's a refined version of the last one that hit me and others. Some of you here on SOH saw that one too IIRC.
    Gary -

Goundcrew Member - Warbirds of Delaware KILG - Member 7G Club
    Member of the War Eagles Air Museum Santa Teresa, NM
    KILG Tour Coordinator and Member of Collings Foundation Stowe, Mass
    Mid Atlantic Air Museum Reading, PA.

Wonder if this was what hit my kids computer, which was running MSE too. We all now run that plus AVG because, surprise, I'm thinking MSE is pretty useless as it was running during the last 3 or so hits.
    W10-64 Pro, 3GHz, 16GB Ram, AMD Radeon HD 5570

Combofix, MBAM and Spybot should get rid of that... System restore will not get rid of the malware because it tends to hide in the system restore files.. The computer will appear fine for a while and then the program will just show up again later. This program will get into any computer no matter what virus protection it is running.

Get combofix at bleeping computer, only from their site because anywhere else it is probably malicious.
    get MBAM from download.com (Full Scan)
    get Spybot from their site or download.com

I run all three from safe mode with networking, combofix is an awesome program and is totally free.

I like to run a program called CCleaner, also at download.com, to delete junk files and registry errors.

And whatever you do, do not give that 2012 program your credit card number... I have talked to so many people that have its unreal. The program is designed mainly to get your credit card and then lock you out of your PC.
    Intel I7 8700 16gb DDR4 RAM GTX 1060 3GB with Windows 10

Microsoft knew about the other antivirus when I talked to them on the phone and was working on stopping it. I don't think they've seen this one yet or had many report it. MSE won't pick it up if MS doean't know about it and has not set up MSE to fight it.

I'm now running the Sandboxie program and that's supposed to quarantine this thing and other crap so it doesn't get into your OS. We'll see what happens.
    Gary -

Goundcrew Member - Warbirds of Delaware KILG - Member 7G Club
    Member of the War Eagles Air Museum Santa Teresa, NM
    KILG Tour Coordinator and Member of Collings Foundation Stowe, Mass
    Mid Atlantic Air Museum Reading, PA.

I've been using SpywareBlaster for the last several years.
    http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html
    It stops malware from being installed. it's worked great so far.
    JohnH_049

There are many different variations of this "program" out there and they all do the same, but get tougher and tougher to get rid of as they progress in design. Bleeping Computer is also a great resource site to read up on some of these different virus infections and how to remove them.

Quote Originally Posted by Gdavis101 View Post
    Combofix, MBAM and Spybot should get rid of that... System restore will not get rid of the malware because it tends to hide in the system restore files.. The computer will appear fine for a while and then the program will just show up again later. This program will get into any computer no matter what virus protection it is running.

Get combofix at bleeping computer, only from their site because anywhere else it is probably malicious.
    get MBAM from download.com (Full Scan)
    get Spybot from their site or download.com

I run all three from safe mode with networking, combofix is an awesome program and is totally free.

I like to run a program called CCleaner, also at download.com, to delete junk files and registry errors.

And whatever you do, do not give that 2012 program your credit card number... I have talked to so many people that have its unreal. The program is designed mainly to get your credit card and then lock you out of your PC.
    Combofix is the most useful tool for these type of infections I have found...
    Champaign Lady Volunteer.

FYI: Norton's removal actions

<dl class="defPar"><dt>Updated:
    </dt><dd>July 16, 2008 2:17:38 PM
    </dd><dt>Type: </dt><dd>Misleading Application</dd><dt>Name: </dt><dd>AntiVirusXP2012
    </dd><dt>Risk Impact: </dt><dd>Medium</dd><dt>Systems Affected: </dt><dd>Windows 2000, Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows Me, Windows NT, Windows Server 2003, Windows Vista, Windows XP</dd></dl> Behavior

AntiVirusXP2012 is a misleading application that may give exaggerated reports of threats on the computer. Must be manually installed.

Antivirus Protection Dates

• Latest Daily Certified version October 24, 2011 revision 032
    • Initial Weekly Certified release date July 23, 2008

The following instructions pertain to all current and recent Symantec antivirus products, including the Symantec AntiVirus and Norton AntiVirus product lines.

1. Disable System Restore (Windows Me/XP).
    2. Update the virus definitions.
    3. Run a full system scan.
    4. Delete any values added to the registry.

For specific details on each of these steps, read the following instructions.

1. To disable System Restore (Windows Me/XP)
    If you are running Windows Me or Windows XP, we recommend that you temporarily turn off System Restore. Windows Me/XP uses this feature, which is enabled by default, to restore the files on your computer in case they become damaged. If a virus, worm, or Trojan infects a computer, System Restore may back up the virus, worm, or Trojan on the computer.

Windows prevents outside programs, including antivirus programs, from modifying System Restore. Therefore, antivirus programs or tools cannot remove threats in the System Restore folder. As a result, System Restore has the potential of restoring an infected file on your computer, even after you have cleaned the infected files from all the other locations.

Also, a virus scan may detect a threat in the System Restore folder even though you have removed the threat.

For instructions on how to turn off System Restore, read your Windows documentation, or one of the following articles:

Note: When you are completely finished with the removal procedure and are satisfied that the threat has been removed, reenable System Restore by following the instructions in the aforementioned documents.

For additional information, and an alternative to disabling Windows Me System Restore, see the Microsoft Knowledge Base article: Antivirus Tools Cannot Clean Infected Files in the _Restore Folder (Article ID: Q263455).

2. To update the virus definitions
    Symantec Security Response fully tests all the virus definitions for quality assurance before they are posted to our servers. There are two ways to obtain the most recent virus definitions:

• Running LiveUpdate, which is the easiest way to obtain virus definitions.

If you use Norton AntiVirus 2006, Symantec AntiVirus Corporate Edition 10.0, or newer products, LiveUpdate definitions are updated daily. These products include newer technology.

If you use Norton AntiVirus 2005, Symantec AntiVirus Corporate Edition 9.0, or earlier products, LiveUpdate definitions are updated weekly. The exception is major outbreaks, when definitions are updated more often.
    • Downloading the definitions using the Intelligent Updater: The Intelligent Updater virus definitions are posted daily. You should download the definitions from the Symantec Security Response Web site and manually install them.

The latest Intelligent Updater virus definitions can be obtained here: Intelligent Updater virus definitions. For detailed instructions read the document: How to update virus definition files using the Intelligent Updater.

3. To run a full system scan

1. Start your Symantec antivirus program and make sure that it is configured to scan all the files.

For Norton AntiVirus consumer products: Read the document: How to configure Norton AntiVirus to scan all files.

For Symantec AntiVirus Enterprise products: Read the document: How to verify that a Symantec Corporate antivirus product is set to scan all files.
    2. Run a full system scan.
    3. If any files are detected, follow the instructions displayed by your antivirus program.

Important: If you are unable to start your Symantec antivirus product or the product reports that it cannot delete a detected file, you may need to stop the risk from running in order to remove it. To do this, run the scan in Safe mode. For instructions, read the document, How to start the computer in Safe Mode. Once you have restarted in Safe mode, run the scan again.
    After the files are deleted, restart the computer in Normal mode and proceed with the next section.

Warning messages may be displayed when the computer is restarted, since the threat may not be fully removed at this point. You can ignore these messages and click OK. These messages will not appear when the computer is restarted after the removal instructions have been fully completed. The messages displayed may be similar to the following:

Title: [FILE PATH]
    Message body: Windows cannot find [FILE NAME]. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again. To search for a file, click the Start button, and then click Search.

4. To delete the value from the registry
    Important: Symantec strongly recommends that you back up the registry before making any changes to it. Incorrect changes to the registry can result in permanent data loss or corrupted files. Modify the specified subkeys only. For instructions refer to the document: How to make a backup of the Windows registry.

1. Click Start > Run.
    2. Type regedit
    3. Click OK.

Note: If the registry editor fails to open the threat may have modified the registry to prevent access to the registry editor. Security Response has developed a tool to resolve this problem. Download and run this tool, and then continue with the removal.
    4. Navigate to and delete the following registry entries:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Internet Settings\User Agent\Post Platform\"AntivirXP08" = "AntivirXP08"
      HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Run\"[RANDOM NAME]" = "C:\Program Files\[RANDOM NAME]\[RANDOM NAME].exe"
    5. Navigate to and delete the following registry subkeys:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Uninstall\[RANDOM NAME]
      HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\[RANDOM NAME]
      HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\[RANDOM NAME]
    6. Exit the Registry Editor.

Quote Originally Posted by Wittpilot View Post
    Combofix is the most useful tool for these type of infections I have found...
    I agree, Combofix is a great program and it does most all of the work for you.