Introducing the Avia 51 - Page 21
Page 21 of 58 FirstFirst ... 11131415161718192021222324252627282931 ... LastLast

Thread: Introducing the Avia 51

Charter Member 2012 nigel richards's Avatar
    Blog Entries

An outstanding opportunity to give!

Oscar Bravo, you humble me with those kind words. The only thing I had to offer, was the determination to give it my very best!

Outstanding is this whole project from start to finish...outstanding is the sharp eyed foresight in recognising the potential of these inspirational aircraft.

Outstanding is that person with a couple of old photos who can bringforth a three dimensional work of art.

Outstanding, is that living colour and glint of metal so deftly applied with creativity and talented skill.

Outstanding, is the man behind the scenes, tirelessly searching unlikely nooks and crannies, that he may help a friend another inch down a glimly lit path in search of fact.
    Most men often say what they think!
    An honest man usually means what he says!
    A gentleman always says what he means!

"Αίεν Υψικρατείν "

A fool is not he who asks a simple question, but he who would simply have its asking denied. (Richards 2012)

Another tidbit for the Av51

And a captains hat.

I've hand-drawn the graphics on the sides, under the windows. What does everyone think? Honestly.

If someone can recommend a specific font, (I know my choice is incorrect) that helps a great deal also.

Compare to here http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...l=1#post671335

Blog Entries
    Firstly OleBoy, the first 'tidbit' is much more than you say it is! That's useful material Sir.

The signwriting looks just that: signwriting and not print. great progress.

I'm not 100%, but I think the intonation above the letter 'C' should be as the 'T'.

Hang in there my friend,...the effort's sure paying off!

"Αίεν Υψικρατείν "

A fool is not he who asks a simple question, but he who would simply have its asking denied. (Richards 2012)

looks good oleboy can you shoot me that text and logo as a PSD so i can apply it to the non-photoreal bird?

and Nigel, it's past your bedtime! hop it Kyrie!

I like to hear feedback, Nigel. As others. This is what I need for my drive/strive to hopes of perfection. Many don't realize these things in my approach to doing what I do. I don't do it for me alone, but the world that lived the times. As for the notation above the "T", you are most correct. I use the default "windows" character map to give ideas. This method is not perfection, but it help me a lot. Having the correct font name would be of great help.

My goal is to do the highly noticeable, then build from that. Right now I'm at a stalemate. I need feedback, like yours for my inspiration. I would not be doing this if it hadn't been for the few historical followers within the thread.

To Matt; I'm not finished! LOL!

i meant when you are ya dingbat

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Wynn View Post
    i meant when you are ya dingbat
    LOL!:mixedsmi:

In digging for some photo reference for OleBoy, I came across this photo of the 51. Not helpful for painting but interesting that it is called the "51.1". (Apologies if this one has already been posted).

Moses

Quote Originally Posted by Moses03 View Post
    In digging for some photo reference for OleBoy, I came across this photo of the 51. Not helpful for painting but interesting that it is called the "51.1". (Apologies if this one has already been posted).

Moses
    Great find Moses! :salute:

Blog Entries
    Thank you for that post Moses. Another addition to the collection.

Blog Entries
    OB, I am fairly certain that the typeface used in the ČLS livery was modified from one of John Cumming's "Binner" fonts. Mr. Cumming designed this font in 1898 so it was around in the 1930's. It seems likely that there was an in-house art department at Skoda/Avia/ČLS, and they probably modified the font to make it more readable for airline livery and signage.

I will try to get it into GIMP and match the lettering the photos, then pass it on to you and Matt. If you prefer, send me a PM and I will scan in what I have and e-mail it to you.

Best regards,
    John

I will await to see your your findings, John. thanks!!

Another tidbit I just found.

Blog Entries
    Excellent find Don. All of our Avia's are described, even the elusive 57.

Internet has been Down sine ....

Sorry guys; my internet provider has been down since yesterday noon so I have been out of the loop here.
    Give me a bit and I will catch up.

Meanwhile, yesterday certainly was not lost because of lack of access because of course gmax was humming. :-)

Made a bit of progress on the Avia 57 albeit it in a very fluid state right now.

Will post some shots from the sim a little later.

Meanwhile, Oleboy, that is looking awesome ... love the lettering ... great progress!

Great finds on the pictures and article. Loved the mention of the 57 as it is the first hint of flaps there.
    I needed that!

EDIT: As promised, some screens of the Avia 57 on inaugural flight without flaps. :-)

As I have no 3-views for this, and only a front quarter view, this is very challenging.

Any input or feedback welcomed. Attaching the only pic I have for comparison and design.

I do have these specs and the model matches the dimensions.

General characteristics
    Crew: 2
    Capacity: 14
    Length: 15.90 m (52 ft 2 in)
    Wingspan: 22.50 m (73 ft 10 in)
    Wing area: 81.5 m2 (877 sq ft)
    Powerplant: 3 × Hispano-Suiza 9Vd radial piston engine, 429 kW (575 hp) each
    R-1820-1

Performance
    Maximum speed: 300 km/h (190 mph; 160 kn)
    Cruising speed: 270 km/h (170 mph; 150 kn)
    Range: 1,200 km (746 mi; 648 nmi)
    Service ceiling: 4,000 m (13,123 ft)
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here
    Video Tutorials - Gmax for Beginners

Blog Entries

WOW!!! What an incredible DREAM!!!MACHINE!!!

Having the same internet server problems down this end too!

I just put my maps down to take 5...It took 25, but boy, oh boy was it worth it just to get a gawk at this...:salute:

If I spot any difference between your version Sir and the official 'Avia', I'm keeping it to myself, as there's no way I'd want to be associated with spoiling a single curve on that beautiful creation.

THIS IS the 'official model' in my books!

I can hear the awesome thunder of engines rrrrrroaring... just wait till I get out of this traffic jam...you'll see...

"Αίεν Υψικρατείν "

The AV57 is elusive. That's the only shot I have been able to find. Unfortunately, I had my browser set to remove history. So it's been a re-tracing of my ventures some what blind to try and find the resources I found previously. It crossed my mind when I found the images to save them, but I was on a mission with the 51. I had so many windows open in my browser. You know, start with one search, then click a link, then another link, and so on, and so on, and so on.

I'll keep my eyes peeled.

The 57's looking good. A lot of the same characteristics.

Well, thanks for your encouragement.

There are many questions and I hope that some of the "eagle-eyed" here can raise them and suggest answers.

The wings need some work; thickness and possible some dihedral, and unsure about the wing tips.

Windows I have done 3 times now and thinkn I have them pretty close. They appear stair stepped.

There's a lot of tail behind that door but I have the windows/seating areas arranged similar to the Avia 51. Seating accommodates 14.
    Lavatory in the back.

Engine spacing is best guess.

EDIT: A couple of these pics are earlier and do not reflect current status of props. I wanted to give you a better sense of size and proportions.

Thanks Oleboy for trying th chase that stuff down.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Avia 57 Flaps

I would like your input or ideas on how you think these flaps were positioned, what type they were, and how they operated ... degrees of movement, and how deployed. Please Oleboys post above, last paragraph.

Attachment 57052
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Quote Originally Posted by Milton Shupe View Post
    Well, thanks for your encouragement.

There are many questions and I hope that some of the "eagle-eyed" here can raise them and suggest answers.

The wings need some work; thickness and possible some dihedral, and unsure about the wing tips.

Windows I have done 3 times now and thinkn I have them pretty close. They appear stair stepped.

There's a lot of tail behind that door but I have the windows/seating areas arranged similar to the Avia 51. Seating accommodates 14.
    Lavatory in the back.

Engine spacing is best guess.

EDIT: A couple of these pics are earlier and do not reflect current status of props. I wanted to give you a better sense of size and proportions.

Thanks Oleboy for trying th chase that stuff down.
    Pictures are great. But honestly, to get an idea for proportion, best viewed as a model in the model viewer, or in sim by myself. I think that would be the best way.

I've finalized the lettering work, and have come up with a nice re-draw effort. Now I can move forward.

I just noticed the bird is flying the wrong way. I'll fix that!

Looking good OleBoy!

That photo Milton posted and this one are the only photos I have ever seen of the 57.

Also found a neat period photo of a Avia trade show display.

Quote Originally Posted by Moses03 View Post
    Looking good OleBoy!

That photo Milton posted and this one are the only photos I have ever seen of the 57.

Also found a neat period photo of a Avia trade show display.
    Oleboy, excellent work! That looks great.

Moses, eeewwww! That picture helps alot. Can see the wing tips, ailerons, not sure about flaps there ... if that is all aileron or flap included.

Wheels do look large and I look forward to getting that strange retraction animation done.

Thanks for this one ... a real helpful gift to the project!
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Excellent work Moses. Those are great shots. I would love to see someones collection of the photos displayed at that display!

Milton, I think I have the perfect tire texture to use. Let me know when you get to that point.

ok it mentions flaps equal to the span between engines, split type, so they probably run engine to engine with a split where the centre of the fuselage is on the underside only.....

just my thought as it mentions words to that effect....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by OleBoy View Post
    I've finalized the lettering work, and have come up with a nice re-draw effort. Now I can move forward.
    Looks like you've got it OB. Very nicely done.