Introducing the Avia 51 - Page 19
Page 19 of 58 FirstFirst ... 9111213141516171819202122232425262729 ... LastLast

Thread: Introducing the Avia 51

(Im-)Patiently Awaiting Beta

As we try to sort out the remaining nuances and await permissions, they wait ... somewhat patiently.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here
    Video Tutorials - Gmax for Beginners

SOH-CM-2020

Waiting ..... waiting ........ waiting .......

Pete.

LOL Pete.

Still a very few minor things to correct before assembling the FS9 Only beta package for the 2nd round. I hope to have that uploaded for a select group of testers by tonight.

While that is out, I will be preparing an FSX portover version for an FSX beta release for both aircraft this weekend.
    This version has its own flight models, a few different gauges, a few different textures, and effects.
    Attached screen shots in FSX.

I will need a few volunteers to test this package. Please speak up here or by PM.

Thanks
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

I am delaying the beta by a few days as I am reorganizing the gauge and panel setup to simplify and separate the gauges for the 4 panels for FS9 and the 4 panels for FSX. This will keep the aircraft packages self contained and easier to deal with in the future.

Thanks for your patience.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Thanks for having mercy on us less than computer literate flyers Milton.

From the screen shots it looks like our tours of the Benolux countries will be quite enhanced from now on.
    Keep your airspeed up,

Jagdflieger

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...me=Jagdflieger

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty
    to purchase a little Temporary Safety,
    deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Benjamin Franklin

Testing, testing.

Milton, check your email please.

Wow OB! That certainly gives the old panel a 3D look doesn't it. Nice work :-)

I'll try what you sent in the sim to see how she feels. Thanks :-)
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

I don't have a clue how to get them into the sim. I've got more ideas, but at this point I'm a little lost. Doing the art work is the easiest part for me

Keep in mind that what I sent you is a rough work-up

Quote Originally Posted by OleBoy View Post
    I don't have a clue how to get them into the sim. I've got more ideas, but at this point I'm a little lost. Doing the art work is the easiest part for me

Keep in mind that what I sent you is a rough work-up
    No problem; great start there.

Check your email please.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Milton, I notice that the door handle, hinges, exhaust pipes, and tail wheel "forks" are black on the 156. Can you point me to those areas so I can fix it please?

Milton, I notice that the door handle, hinges, exhaust pipes, and tail wheel "forks" are black on the 156. Can you point me to those areas so I can fix it please?
    OB, the exhaust pipes and tail wheel forks are dark gray/black in all the pictures I have so they use a black-ish/dark gray texture.

The door handles and door hinges used a chrome texture, the only parts that did, so I have eliminated that texture and reassigned them to a chrome metal texture on another bmp.

I will send you an updated model file shortly.

EDIT: Check your email
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Received, and in use. Thank you.

I'm in the midst of a bees nest. I'm attempting (no promises!) to adapt my 156 textures, to the 51 templates. Then do the needed adjusting. This may take quite a while. :isadizzy:

Also, while looking at the Avia 51 resource material, I noticed that there (in one of the photos) is the registration, OK-ABW. I wish there were more pictures of the 51 ship.

Blog Entries
    ...while looking at the Avia 51 resource material, I noticed that there (in one of the photos) is the registration, OK-ABW. I wish there were more pictures of the 51 ship.
    I would also like to see photos of the other Avia 51s. We do have their registrations though, OK-ABV, OK-ABZ, and OK-ABW. All three were initially owned by the Czech airline, Československá letecká společnost (ČLS). As I understand it, CLS was a subsidiary of the Skoda works as was Avia.

OB,

That could be a Herculean effort there! I appreciate your confidence and enthusiasm.

I have two pictures showing the ABW and just now noticed a major difference between it and the ABV.

As I only have two right side pictures, it wasn't obvious until I had finished modeling and mapping, and the 3-view was of the left side.

You will notice it once you get there.

Have fun :-)
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane91 View Post
    I would also like to see photos of the other Avia 51s. We do have their registrations though, OK-ABV, OK-ABV, and OK-ABW. All three were initially owned by the Czech airline, Československá letecká společnost (ČLS). As I understand it, CLS was a subsidiary of the Skoda works as was Avia.

Would you edit and correct your post sir? :-) Hint: "Z"

See here: http://www.goldenyears.ukf.net/reg_OK-.htm
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

I would also like to see photos of the other Avia 51s. We do have their registrations though, OK-ABV, OK-ABV, and OK-ABW. All three were initially owned by the Czech airline, Československá letecká společnost (ČLS). As I understand it, CLS was a subsidiary of the Skoda works as was Avia.
    Hi,

I may be completely mistaken, but a while ago, I got the impression that Czechoslovakia had 2 airlines back then, ČSA serving mainly domestic routes and ČLS international ones. Timetables of that period show domestic routes that are not served by ČLS.

Best regards,
    Volker

Cadmium Coating Question

When an aircraft is coated with Cadmium, what is the visual impact to color and sheen? Is it a semi-translucent coating or what?

EDIT: I re-read the article and it may explain the apparent appearance differences across the fuselage:

"In the construction of the Avia 51 nothing but metal and fabric has been used (with the exception of certain cabin decorations).Duralumin and high tensile steel are the materials employed. Painting, lacquering and cadmium plating are the precautions taken against corrosion."
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Quote Originally Posted by Volker Böhme View Post
    Hi,

I may be completely mistaken, but a while ago, I got the impression that Czechoslovakia had 2 airlines back then, ČSA serving mainly domestic routes and ČLS international ones. Timetables of that period show domestic routes that are not served by ČLS.

Best regards,
    Volker
    Volker, thanks for that observation. If you have links to route and airline information of the early to mid-30's by these airlines, it may be helpful to Nigel who is setting up some AI Traffic routes for this project with related era and location-correct vintage aircraft.

Attachment 56793
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Charter Member 2016
    cadmium is a metal -so when mentioned as "cadmium plating," it probably refers to the material used as the skin. More likely, cadmium being more expensive and difficult to come by, cadmium would be used as a component of an alloy or only in selected places. For the purposes of painting, the cadmium shouldn't make a difference in the textures.
    "Wherefore, if ye shall press forward, feasting upon the word of Christ, and endure to the end, behold, thus saith the Father: Ye shall have eternal life." - 2 Nephi 31:20

Mormon.org

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Milton Shupe View Post
    Would you edit and correct your post sir?
    That was my source. In my haste, I neglected to proof read my post.
    Thank you Milton.

That was my source. In my haste, I neglected to proof read my post.
    Thank you Milton.
    LOL Just "ribbing you" sir. Thanks for all your contributions todate.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Volker Böhme View Post
    Hi,

Best regards,
    Volker
    You are most likley correct Volker. I have been researching the markings that were applied in order to assist the texture painters. Most of the photos that I have seen had a stylized "Československá Letecká Společnost" and a ČLS logo applied to both sides. I am still searching for a good photo or graphic of the ČLS logo.

The Avia 156 does not appear to have worn an airline livery in the few photos I have seen.

You are most likley correct Volker. I have been researching the markings that were applied in order to assist the texture painters. Most of the photos that I have seen had a stylized "Československá Letecká Společnost" and a ČLS logo applied to both sides. I am still searching for a good photo or graphic of the ČLS logo.

The Avia 156 does not appear to have worn an airline livery in the few photos I have seen.

That is correct. The prototype never left that status as it crashed in testing with the accompanying aircraft.

I am looking for where I saw that information but have not "re-discovered" it yet. :-/

Here is the Wiki snippet on the 156.

Development
    The Avia 156 was a single-engined high-wing cantilever monoplane that first flew in 1934.[1] Powered by a Hispano-Suiza 12Ydrs inline piston engine and had fixed tail wheel landing gear.[1] The Avia 156 performed well in test flights but only a prototype was built.[1]
    [edit] Specifications
    Data from[1]
    General characteristics
    · Crew: 2
    · Capacity: 6
    · Length: 10.55 m (34 ft 7 in)
    · Wingspan: 15.10 m (49 ft 6 in)
    · Wing area: 38 m2 (410 sq ft)
    · Empty weight: 2,305 kg (5,082 lb)
    · Max takeoff weight: 3,790 kg (8,356 lb)
    Powerplant: 1 × Hispano-Suiza 12Ydrs inline piston engine, 630 kW (850 hp)
    Performance
    · Maximum speed: 350 km/h (220 mph; 190 kn)
    · Cruising speed: 330 km/h (210 mph; 180 kn)
    · Range: 950 km (590 mi; 513 nmi)
    · Service ceiling: 6,200 m (20,341 ft)
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Best I have found is still this page:
    http://www.timetableimages.com/ttimages/cls.htm

with a bit here:
    http://www.timetableimages.com/ttimages/clsl.htm

and a tiny bit more here:
    http://www.airtimes.com/cgat/cz/czec...rtransport.htm

"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" anon.
    “Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” -Albert Einstein

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by srgalahad View Post
    Best I have found...
    Many thanks SirG. Those are excellent references with many interesting details. They should be of great help to Nigel as well.
    The Avia tri-motor and color ČLS logo appear together on the wonderful September 1934 timetable. The logo closely matches
    the one in this photo...

Attachment 56811

Thanks again.