Introducing the Avia 51 - Page 11
Page 11 of 58 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617181921 ... LastLast

Thread: Introducing the Avia 51

A walk around for viewing. Mind you, these shots are taken in FSX.

Note:There are still a few minor things to do yet.

I thought everyone watching the Avia topic will like to see it from all angles.

{right-click, view-image for large images}

Blog Entries
    Wonderful paints Oleboy! It's a beauty. Thanks for posting the shots.

One last evening shot. I thought the evening light really set it off.

Blog Entries
    My oh my. Really nice.

Oleboy,

You have done a great job with the photoreal approach. I really like that, in any lighting.

On the modeling front, I am trying to sort out an approach here between late 20's to mid-30's styles. I have a basic cockpit in place as a starting point.

I am thinking about going more narrow and vertical with the ECU stacking the engine controls for a more early 30's era look.

I do have the panels mapped and ready for gauges but not in a hurry here to do that until I decide how narrow I want the the actual gauge panels to be. I am thinking that pulling the sides inward to be aligned about with the main windows diagonal supports and pulling the pilots toward the center 4-6". I have also added kneeboards for switches and fuses,

I like the current seating as it gives a better view out the left side of the cockpit and better forward visibility.

I will redo the seat to a more traditional upscale type of the era.

As usual, I am seeking input and guidance from those interested.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here
    Video Tutorials - Gmax for Beginners

Blog Entries
    Those sound logical to me. How many panel sections are you planning?

I'll be a follower of this part of the plane, and let others give their input on the subject as I don't think my knowledge is suitable to critique the era. Best I could suggest is to go with what feel right, and looks aesthetically correct for the time frame.

Concerning the pit.

Milton, when you come to a point of finalization (thereabouts) would it be possible to have the mesh/template for this area also, so I can see if I can possibly work a photo-real look to it? My reason for asking is due to I've never textured the inside of a models cockpit due to never having the opportunity to get/have the mesh. It could be fun and very appealing in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane91 View Post
    Those sound logical to me. How many panel sections are you planning?
    That partly depends on the width, at least 2 (split down the middle) if I narrow the panel, or possibly 3 if I stay as wide as I am now.

Two would provide for excellent gauge clarity. The kneeboard templates are part of the left and right sides.
    I should be able to add any ECU gauges (fuel tank selectors) to the same templates.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Quote Originally Posted by OleBoy View Post
    I'll be a follower of this part of the plane, and let others give their input on the subject as I don't think my knowledge is suitable to critique the era. Best I could suggest is to go with what feel right, and looks aesthetically correct for the time frame.

Concerning the pit.

Milton, when you come to a point of finalization (thereabouts) would it be possible to have the mesh/template for this area also, so I can see if I can possibly work a photo-real look to it? My reason for asking is due to I've never textured the inside of a models cockpit due to never having the opportunity to get/have the mesh. It could be fun and very appealing in the end.
    Of course, I would encourage anyone who paints to do their own thing with this. It is actually much easier and simpler than the exterior.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Quote Originally Posted by Milton Shupe View Post
    Of course, I would encourage anyone who paints to do their own thing with this. It is actually much easier and simpler than the exterior.
    Excellent. Thank you.

Retired SOH Administrator Ferry_vO's Avatar
    Incredible to see what you guys have created in such a short time with so little information!

Intel i9-13900 Raptor Lake , Be Quiet! Dark rock slim cooler, 32 Gb Corsair DDR5 RAM, MSI Z790 Tomahawk motherboard, Asus RTX 4060Ti 16Gb, Thermaltake 1050 Watt PSU, Windows 11 64-bit 1 m2, 4 SSD, 2 HDD.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferry_vO View Post
    Incredible to see what you guys have created in such a short time with so little information!

Thank you Ferry. This aircraft kind of grabbed me a year or two ago down in the Historic forums (a Moses post as I recall).
    I copied the picture and found nothing to speak of on the web. So I sat it aside for a long time hoping that one day .....

Well, thanks to some great people here doing the research in places I cannot, we were fortunate to get enough information to cobble together what we have.

The Avia 51 needed to be done and the the 156 was a relatively easy by-product.

It also gave me the chance to step back from the Grumman projects and be productive while other progress is being made.

The neat benefit for me is I got time with this one to get back into the flight modeling to get these two aircraft done.
    Frustrating at first, but I persevered.

Nigel has done some really awesome work on the sounds. I thoroughly enjoy the 51 package, and I look forward to the Avia 156 package now that I have a "glimpse" of what is in the works.

I am equally pleased that Oleboy graced the 156 with these beautiful photo-real based paint scheme. I am loving that.

But you know, it could not have happened this way without the behind-the-scenes research done by Elephant, Hurricane91, Moses03 and others.

The only thing I hope for now is a good "panel and gauge" guy to step up to provide some 30's era European flare to these works. Do you know any from your side of the pond?
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Retired SOH Administrator Ferry_vO's Avatar
    Wish I knew who could help you with the gauges milton, but unfortunately...

The good old 'Kedigau.zip' (Found at Flightsim.com) by Hauke Keitel might be a good starting point though, as it is full of metric XML gauges.
    Intel i9-13900 Raptor Lake , Be Quiet! Dark rock slim cooler, 32 Gb Corsair DDR5 RAM, MSI Z790 Tomahawk motherboard, Asus RTX 4060Ti 16Gb, Thermaltake 1050 Watt PSU, Windows 11 64-bit 1 m2, 4 SSD, 2 HDD.

I have to confess. I said I was almost finished previously, and I thought this photo-real likeness was going away. When I said earlier (I won't tell a fib) I was getting sick and tired of messing with it. So I said it was finished!

Well, I'm not finished. Couldn't sleep. I woke up this morning. Roughly 3am. (what the heck?) With this god forsaken plane on my mind. (thinking) There's still a lot more I can do to get it better. (saying to myself, you idiot. go back to sleep!) This repaint I'm doing, compared to the photo reference I have, stinks! (Uh oh, Here we go again.) I got out the photos. Fired up Photoshop and went back to work on it.

(I am kidding. What I'm about to say next.) You guys with interests to this project, sure are picky!

LOL I often find myself here in the middle of the night with adrenaline flowing. We appreciate anything you do to make this a revered aircraft. Its looking awesome already.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Modifications

- Finished re-working the textures on the cowl to better represent the side profile of the (large, exploded-view) picture.

-- Top hood scoops blend to appear molded in.

--- Added the small square hatches you see on the right hand side above the exhausts.

- Added rivets to the tail-wheel shroud to appear fastened.

-- Added rivets to the lower cowl, intake shroud to appear fastened.

--- Reworked and made a new exterior door frame.

I'm debating other (hard to do) things that will make it more authentic looking.

Blog Entries
    Modifications...
    What you have done so far looks tremendous. As a scale modeler, it all sounds familiar. You get to know the plane's documentation very well, then stand back and look at the model again ("it needs this, this, and this). You are a true artist and modeler OleBoy.

What you have done so far looks tremendous. As a scale modeler, it all sounds familiar. You get to know the plane's documentation very well, then stand back and look at the model again ("it needs this, this, and this). You are a true artist and modeler OleBoy.
    Thank you. You are correct. I have done my fair share of modeling throughout the years. Pictures speak out to me like plans on a table. (memories) Scratch building with foam (cheap w/white glue) to build the block. Then to make patterns using formica (hard, flexible substrate) Cut patterns to shapes with a hot wire bow to get the rough shape. Etc, etc. Then 20 some years of building radio control planes, boats, etc. I can relate to everything you say. LOL!!

And to think yesterday, I said it was done. :mixedsmi:

If you have me on your beta team, BEWARE because I am a stickler for details.

as i've had to shut my paint hangar doors due to unforseen circumstances.... here is the paintkit for the -51, what i had done so far, was working on some new bits but.... *Sighs*, anyway heres the link...

http://www.mediafire.com/?obagt1s6876baxa

Matt, sorry to hear of your misfortune. It will get better. In time. You'll be back. You're and addict like the rest of us.

I will download your paintkit. For safe keeping anyway. When/if you need it. :salute:

Currently my desktop background.

thanks pal, i'll still maintain a presence but due to the situation my paint hangar has been closed and locked up.... for now, heck knows when i'll be back to painting... going to set up a website for myself to put my work onto, with a donation button so people can assist with keeping my hangar open, reason i'm bowing out now is due to low funds... already eyeing up my golf clubs and keyboard and thinking "how many weeks would these 2 cover the electricity for"....

Thank you Matt. I hope you get things worked out and we see you back here. I appreciate all your efforts.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Blog Entries
    I have done my fair share of modeling throughout the years. Pictures speak out to me like plans on a table. (memories) Scratch building with foam (cheap w/white glue) to build the block. Then to make patterns using formica (hard, flexible substrate) Cut patterns to shapes with a hot wire bow to get the rough shape.
    Exactly...and then fly it. My last build. A few errors. Planned to build a vac-former for canopies after the test flights. Still planned...
    Attachment 53619

Exactly...and then fly it. My last build. A few errors. Planned to build a vac-former for canopies after the test flights. Still planned...
    Attachment 53619
    Nice!

My last project I purchased plans for was a L4 Cub. 11 foot wingspan, with a chord of (I can't recall exactly) 30". I haven't touched my stuff in at least 8 years.

Blog Entries
    Nice!
    Thank you.
    I haven't touched my stuff in at least 8 years.
    Same here. Dang, the L4's cord is about the Orion's span!