How do you fly - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How do you fly

Quote Originally Posted by Dain Arns View Post
    Well, okay, true.
    But you certainly can do maintenance from the outside while in flight...

VC man myself, the more detailed the better in my book.
    Has to have a great VC as I will be spending most of my sim time in the "office".
    I've tried it like this, but it's more comfortable sitting on the wing!! For takeoff, landing, and course corrections, it's VC; but I do spend
    a lot of time outside the cockpit while in flight. The VC is fun especially if you're going through mountains.
    Good pic, Dain!

"Hornets by mandate, Tomcats by choice!"

VC only.

I've spent three years on a Do-328, but never fly it as it doesn't have a VC (yet).

VC, and Spot View mainly. But I tend to cycle through all the views. A full walk around to enhance the immersion always gets the best of me. Especially when I have a nice paint scheme in progress. Tower view is a great vision too. Any R/C flier will agree!

I originally come from race sims and in those I never felt connected to the car in outside view so when I discovered flight sims the VC was the natural choice.
    I do tend to taxi tail dragger's from spot view though, more from laziness than any other reason, also I can hover and land helicopters easier from spot view. But other than that its VC all the way.
    Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero
    i9-9900K
    32Gb Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR4 3200MHz
    MSI RTX 2080Ti Ventus
    Corsair H115i Cooler
    Corsair RM850X PSU
    Phanteks Evolv X case
    Asus VG32G Monitor 2560x1440
    Win 10
    Oculus Quest 2
    Logitech G29
    Saitek X56
    Saitek Pro Pedals
    Saitek Cessna Trim Wheel

VC Here:salute:
    Thursday, November 27 2014 I Lost My Best Friend My Uncle! He Was Amazing person He was a volunteer For Las Vegas metro Police he will be missed, I Volunteer with him Many Times With LVMPD And USFS

THOMAS CURTIS
    Thursday Nov 27th 2014

==Punisher of Arizona == Thin Blue Line

That's a mighty fine Henschel "Eins-Zwei-Drei" you've go there, Fleurdelys.
    I certainly hope one day you'll reconsidere and share your work with us!

Quote Originally Posted by fleurdelys View Post
    ....... I can appreciate that the mostly VC feel that way at having fun checking gauges, turning knobs or pushing buttons as they would if they were really flying that particular plane. What I feel left out a bit is when some of you flatly say that if there is no VC, then that plane wont even be downloaded to your PC because you can't have that particular piece of candy that you prefer...

Fleurdelys
    Uhmm, you can actually look outside of the cockpit and enjoy the scenery when you sit in it.
    To me it's just part of the immersion to sit inside the plane and look outside rather than the opposite.
    Nothing better than controlling your plane from the seat of your pants, looking around, have a quick glance over your gauges, do some corrections if necessary and continue enjoying the flight.
    Mathias

Charter Member 2015
    Mostly VC for take offs and landings with outside views for admiring aircraft and scenery and replays.

Similar to the above sentiments:

1. I look for a good to high quality virtual cockpit.
    2. I also look for a good to high quality exterior model.

I fly a mix between VC and spot-view, and sometimes use 2D pop-up panels to access quick things if it's easier.

VC. I do like to poke around a bit and admire the scenery and the airplane.....but mostly VC.

And since I paid for and own the simulation, as well as the models I fly, I figure I can fly it any darn well way I please, and heap foul scorn upon any prince of Europe, that should dare to invade the borders of my realm.

Or are we at Tilbury?

Basic Flying Rules: "Try to stay in the middle of the air. Do not go near the edges of it. The edges of the air can be recognized by the appearance of ground, buildings, sea, trees and interstellar space. It is much more difficult to fly there."

Thanks for the responses everyone.

I come from the combat sim side, where it's much easier to select Wonder Woman View. Before that I flew FS3, 4, 98 and wanted a proper cockpit to sit in, so I prefer VC: panel view just says FS Old to me, sorry! I also model and a fine, functioning VC is a wonderful thing to aim for. The more I learn about flying and aircraft, the more I want everything working.

@fleurdelys: that model is nothing to be ashamed of - and it's skinned too!
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

It's a beautiful model....
    Basic Flying Rules: "Try to stay in the middle of the air. Do not go near the edges of it. The edges of the air can be recognized by the appearance of ground, buildings, sea, trees and interstellar space. It is much more difficult to fly there."

....VC only. Perhaps because after FS2000 it was possible to fly from the VC, a matter of actually "being there", the cockpit, the office, from where YOU control.

For repaints I go spot view, but I guess that would be obvious.....!

Cheers,
    Hank

Dear fellow simmers,

But I wonder how much of this is lost to those who swear by the VC or mostly VC alone option as far as looking at textures from inside the cockpit or listening to the cone manipulation of the sound as the plane flyes to or away from the observer...
    If I recall, the sound inside the VC is different from that of the outside view and muffled to the point that if you are concentrating on your panel, you probably don't hear it at all or don't care as long as it's there in the background ...

I counted the VC only or mostly VC fans from the start of this thread and you stand at a whopping 82% with the rest of us being left out in the cold or spot view mostly...
    I know that it takes all types to make a world and I can appreciate that the mostly VC feel that way at having fun checking gauges, turning knobs or pushing buttons as they would if they were really flying that particular plane. What I feel left out a bit is when some of you flatly say that if there is no VC, then that plane wont even be downloaded to your PC because you can't have that particular piece of candy that you prefer...

I think that building a plane or skinning it or making it fly as closes to specs or sound like or whatever takes time, patience and a particular dedication from those that are willing to invest their skills (however good that may be) and by limiting oneself to a particular part of the plane is akin to leaving out those that are not up to your specific standards...

Fleurdelys
    I understand your concern but I think you might be "over-estimating" the problem here, or perhaps "mis-understanding" would be a more appropriate term.
    For example, I wrote that I fly from the VC only, just like many others. That doesn't mean that I don't check the external views from time to time ! I just don't use them for piloting/controlling the aircraft, but I surely use them for admiring the aircraft and taking screenshots !

That means that the work that has been done by the texture artist, or the sound artist or the 3D artist, is FULLY appreciated.
    I don't think that anybody's here is willing to fly a plane that has a nice virtual cockpit but a bad external model, right ? Additionnaly, we can often see several threads from people looking for GOOD sounds for those aircrafts. The interest is there !

Finally, the reason I use the simulators is because I want to get a flying experience that is as close as possible to the real world experience that is out of my reach.
    I want to get an aircraft that is as close as possible to the real one. I want it to look like the real one, I want it to sound like the real one, I want it to fly/react like the real one, and especially, I want to see what the real pilot sees when he is sitting in his cockpit. That's why I prefer the 3D cockpits, because I want to see on my screen what the pilot sees with his eyes. I want to look up or to the right when the real pilot has to look up or to the right. This precise need makes all 2D panels totally excluded. That's what I mean when I write "VC only". That doesn't mean I don't appreciate the external views at all

Each to his/her own... diversity is, like variety, a spice of life

To me, it is all about recreating the feeling that I am actually in control of the aircraft. The addon has to have a VC, and a good one at that, or I will simply avoid downloading and installing it. I do not have as much free time as I would wish to have and spending that rare time in a model that does not cut it in my mind is just a waste of that time.

Needless to say, I will spend a few minutes from time to time using one of the outside presets or customizing one to a specific view for a screenshot in a competition for example... But the flight will be started and finished up front... I find it almost impossible these days to land in any external view, as I am now used to the various reference points in the VCs...

My hangar consists of A2A accusims, a number of Realair packages, the PMDG MD11X, JS41, and NGX, and a few other oddities... all flown from start to finish from the VC viewpoint...

Andrew
    Per Ardua ad Astra

Admittedly, I'm very new to FSX, but I've found that limiting onesself to a single or predominant view takes away from the enjoyment of simming. I spend a fair amount of time in one outside view or another because I just like looking at airplanes. As far as the cockpit goes, I tend to prefer the 2D because of a visual impairment. VCs are often too dark for me to see what I need to see so I move back and forth between 2D & VC . But, hey! I'm flying>

LA

Charter Member 2016
    Typically VC for me - within limits. The reason for this is that I like my aircraft detailed and tough to control, and that is much easier to control from inside. That means I insist on functional and goodlooking VCs. However, the exterior view is crucial to my useage of the sim. My situational awareness isn't too good, I didn't spend the time and money to install all the stuff by Holger Sandmann and Ultimate Terrain for nothing. Maps are dry and lack character. I navigate VFR - using Various Fields and Roads. The VC isn't as useful sometimes (most of the time) as a check of my enviroment from them side or the top. It's also helpful with tight situations, since the default FS autogen is so badly scaled. Makes VC navigation difficult for me when I'm trying to land in a tight spot.
    Besides, as a non-pilot (as yet), I usually see aircraft from the outside anyway. That's how I'm familier with things like the P-51 or the ERJ - not from inside. I like flying them from the inside, but I'm more experientially comfortable with them from the outside... if you know what mean.
    "Wherefore, if ye shall press forward, feasting upon the word of Christ, and endure to the end, behold, thus saith the Father: Ye shall have eternal life." - 2 Nephi 31:20

Mormon.org

SOH Staff .."Bartender" AussieMan's Avatar
    VC + Spot for me.

Cheers
    Pat

Cheers
    Pat

"Some people might say that freedom is being alone in the bush with the only sounds being the murmurs from the birds ... but I believe freedom is at 5000 feet with no other sound than the engine roaring."- William Hutchison, a young man taken from us far too young (16).

I'm all over the aircraft, on the ground, in the air. Like some mentioned, being an R/C pilot, the tower view is great! The sounds from there are awesome. To those of us who can/do fly 1:1, the sim is useful for training, but definitely lacks the "full environment" feeling, ie no feeling of motion/vibrations, etc. These are all a very important part of flying. But that doesn't mean I don't enjoy the sim.

Not having a vc in the model does not automatically keep it out of my hanger, or maybe I should say, off my ramp, as ai aircraft. Our more powerful machines can put up with about a dozen or so non-lod, non-ai type aircraft, and not having a vc means the model is easier on frames. Just my preferences. For the same reason, I try to get as many paints as are available for all my aircraft, also.

fleurdelys, that is a beautiful Henschel 123. I would definitely have it in my hanger, even without a panel.

Don
    Don H

AMD Ryzen 5 7600X
    MSI MAG B650 Tomahawk WIFI/BT
    64GB Corsair Vengeance 6000MHz DDR5 C40 (4x16)
    Sapphire Pulse AMD Radeon RX7900XT 20GB DDR6
    Corsair 5000D Airflow Case
    Corsair RM850x 80+ GOLD P/S
    Liquid Freezer II 360 water cooling
    C:/ WD Black 4TB SN770 Gen 4 NVMe M.2 SSD
    D:/ Crucial P3 PLUS 4TB Gen 4 NVMe M.2 SSD
    Samsung 32" Curved Monitor
    Honeycomb and Saitek Flight Equipment

Bonjour à tous,

To all who have taken the time to answer my post (I think my biorithm must have hit a low that day...LoL) and showed appreciation for my efforts, thank you, it is appreciated !

I just wanted to add that I have purchased the necessary program to get into panel making and will definitely try to get one to fit the exterior of my plane.

Just don't hold your breath for now as it may take some time for me to get my act together and create the last but "important" part of this enjoyable hobby.

Cheers,

Fleurdelys

Just an afterthought to the above...

For the mainly VC flyers; just imagine when...

And for the mainly SPOT flyers; just enjoy for the time being...

... and a few more...

The last one being a totally fictitions "what if" joint venture between Henschel and Mitsubishi...

Cheers,

Fleurdelys

Dear fellow simmers,

I don't usually get into long dissertations or express my views in such a personal way but this is the time for it, I guess...
    I find this thread quite interesting as it gives us a good example of the whys and whatnots behind our reasoning to come back to this forum and fly the planes that we share, whether they be freeware or payware...

There are some who build gorgeous planes and some others, who add their skills and give us gorgeous textures to adorn these beauties. Others prefer to make sceneries or put out their skills to task to get us as close to the real world as is humanely possible, given the limitations of FSX. And, believe it or not, they sometimes manage to push these boundaries in places where we didn't know that there were places to reach in the first place ...
    Lastly, there are some who manage to mix and manage sounds in ways that are so close to the real thing that you probably want to duck when in flyby mode...

But I wonder how much of this is lost to those who swear by the VC or mostly VC alone option as far as looking at textures from inside the cockpit or listening to the cone manipulation of the sound as the plane flyes to or away from the observer...
    If I recall, the sound inside the VC is different from that of the outside view and muffled to the point that if you are concentrating on your panel, you probably don't hear it at all or don't care as long as it's there in the background ...

I counted the VC only or mostly VC fans from the start of this thread and you stand at a whopping 82% with the rest of us being left out in the cold or spot view mostly...
    I know that it takes all types to make a world and I can appreciate that the mostly VC feel that way at having fun checking gauges, turning knobs or pushing buttons as they would if they were really flying that particular plane. What I feel left out a bit is when some of you flatly say that if there is no VC, then that plane wont even be downloaded to your PC because you can't have that particular piece of candy that you prefer...

I think that building a plane or skinning it or making it fly as closes to specs or sound like or whatever takes time, patience and a particular dedication from those that are willing to invest their skills (however good that may be) and by limiting oneself to a particular part of the plane is akin to leaving out those that are not up to your specific standards...

I first started to build planes with FSDS v.1, then moved to v.2, v.3 and now v.3.5 about 9 years ago and never published any of my efforts because I never felt that my efforts were good enough to publish, considering the quality of the planes that were available. My learning curve might be slow but it has been constently improving...
    Anyhow, I kept at it doggedly because this was a hobby and it brought me pleasure and relief from everyday stress...
    My secret wish was to one day publish a plane which would appeal to a lot of simmers and bring them fun for some time but not just once and then its off because of the quality of the VC or lack thereof...

I've built a pretty decent rendition of a Henschel HS-123 for the past two years (on and off) but I'm no good at building panels and don't foresee myself back to basics for making one which would probably take the best part of another year...
    That would be too much to give to so many while I'm really content in flying my plane from spot view mainly, don't you think ?
    Anyway, if any of you know this type of plane, then you also know that the VC view is cramped at best and doesn't allow much as far as looking at the scenery around or the airfield when you're getting near to land...
    You're better off in spot view just to make sure that you won't bump into a cow in the field or other obstacle left there to help you trip and do the candle.

Just as an after thought, how many others have opted out of uploading their efforts because they felt that it wasn't really worth it while so many would not take it or want it, anyway... ?

Sorry for the ranting...
    I needed to tell it to someone as I consider all of you friends, with different views, in my simming endeavours...

Fleurdelys

I want the Henshel!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by skyhawka4m View Post
    I want the Henshel!!!!!
    Me to, Me to!!!
    Matt

Members who have read this thread: 0