'Captured: The Color Landscape Of The Depression Era'

Thread: 'Captured: The Color Landscape Of The Depression Era'

'Captured: The Color Landscape Of The Depression Era'

Great pictures!
    Intel I7 8700 16gb DDR4 RAM GTX 1060 3GB with Windows 10

Yes indeed great pics, usually the color betrays the age of photos, but the color in these looks modern (if you get my drift).
    Intel i5-10600K 4.10 GHz 12 Core CPU
    Asus ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming LGA1200 Z590-E Motherboard
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
    Water Cooler - CORSAIR iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT
    Corsair 850W PSU
    MSI RX580 Radeon Armor 8Gb
    Windows 10 Home Premium 64
    3 x 21" Acer LED screens

Hey All,

In my opinion...

As a group the photographers of the FSA (Farm Security Administration) and OWI (Office of War Information) are the greatest group of photographers America has ever seen. Thank You FDR for putting these people to the task of documenting one of the most difficult periods in American history. They had great subject material to work with and the support to produce great photography.

As an aside these photographers produced about 1600 colour photos as compared to around 164,000 black and white.

-Ed-
    My heroes have always been cowboys and they all carried guns-
    and they all rode horses-that is all but one.
    When he went to the rescue he flew a Cessna plane.
    His ranch was called the "Flying Crown" and "Sky King" was his name. -Jim Dilly-

The rich man writes the book of laws that the poor man must defend, but the highest laws are written on the hearts of honest men. - Ricky Skaggs-

Members +
    Thanx..Priceless!..the America of the "GREATEST GENERATION",and where a lot of kids left from to go to WW2...many never to return......AMERICA!! we come a Long way Baby!......<label for="rb_iconid_20"></label>

Panther, was it you that had posted pics of a post war era Hawaii some time back? I thought I had bookmarked the site, but apparently I did not.
    Intel I7 8700 16gb DDR4 RAM GTX 1060 3GB with Windows 10

Interesting. Paid particular interest to the city traffic in the larger cities. Times were slow during that depression. In ways the traffic or busy-ness in the cities and industries lend somewhat of a comparison as to what we are seeing now in this one.

With the color in those photos many of the scenes look like current scenes of today except for the vehicles.

Retired SOH Administrator
    Nice find Ed, a great part of history. Only rich people owned cars. That one shot of the guy working a field with a horse plow only shows how much things have changed.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Asus Rampage Extreme Motherboard /EVGA AR GeForce GTX 295 1792MB 896 Bit GDDR3 /Corsair 8gig XMS DDR3/Intel Core 2 Extreme QX 9770 Yorkfield OCed 4.2 LGA 775/136W Quad Core / Water Cooled/ 2 WD Raptor 150gig 10,000 rpm Drives in Raid O Mode/WD Raptor 150gig internal back up/400 gig External WD back up Drive/Thermaltake 1200 Watt PS/Sony Dual Layer DVD RD/RW/Plextor DVD/RW/ Thermaltake Kandalf Tower/ Sound Blasters X-FI Platinum / X52 Pro

"With the color in those photos many of the scenes look like current scenes of today except for the vehicles."

The color was either Etachrome or Kodachrome (don't remember which one) slide film that gave those rich tones and vibrancy. Photo #8 is one that's pure nostalgia,...the fragrant burning of Fall leaves. Try doing that today in your community.......
    ..."He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose" -Jim Elliot

Magnificent pictures, thanks. It would be really neat to make a slide show starting with altered B&W versions of these as they are usually seen, grainy, some spots and tears, etc, then fade to these wonderful color ones. For me it helps make a connection to the reality of that time.
    W10-64 Pro, 3GHz, 16GB Ram, AMD Radeon HD 5570

GREAT pictures! Thanks for the link.
    XP Pro: Intel D975XBX2 /QX6700 @ 3.50GHz / 8800GTX / 2X2GB G.Skill PC2 8500 / Ultra 120 Extreme / 150GB Raptor / 320GB Seagate 7200.10 / PC P&C Silencer 750 PSU / CM Stacker 810 / LITE-ON 20X DVD / X-FI Music

Vista Ultimate 64: Intel D975XBX2 / Q6700 @ 3.6GHz / 8800GTX / 4X2GB G.Skill PC2 8000 / Ultra 120 Extreme / 150GB Raptor / 750GB WD Caviar / PC P&C Silencer 750 PSU / CM Stacker 810 / LITE-ON SATA DVD / onboard sound

Got a laugh out of pic 28 on the main street....Tobacco, cards, beer, drugs, cafe and beer. The good old days. Loved all the shots, you can just get lost in thought starring into each image.

Jim

#32. Shasta dam under construction. Is not too far from home. Been inside Shasta way back in the day when people could drive a cross it with out passing a back ground and having it guard by guys with M-16s. Plus you could take pics in side of the dam.

/was the days....
    "Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right!" Some SOH Founder.

Quote Originally Posted by brad kaste View Post
    "With the color in those photos many of the scenes look like current scenes of today except for the vehicles."

The color was either Etachrome or Kodachrome (don't remember which one) slide film that gave those rich tones and vibrancy. Photo #8 is one that's pure nostalgia,...the fragrant burning of Fall leaves. Try doing that today in your community.......
    Medium Format Kodachrome was killer......

Pearl Harbor Project developer
    Great stuff indeed! Thanks P!
    crashAZ- Virtual Navy
    [SIGPIC]http://www.sim-outhouse.net/images/rtwr2013/rtwr2013_sm.png[/SIGPIC]

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    Boy, do these bring back memories - I can remember some things from the late 50s, when I would have been 5 or 6 - about 10 years after these photos were taken, but many of the signs such as you saw on the main street shops were still around in Detroit when I was a kid. So were the buildings, and, best of all, the people were around too, complete with their attitudes and opinions. No Woody Allens back then. All politically incorrect now. With Nov 11 right around the corner these photos, all taken during WWII and many during the American participation in that war, can't help but bring to mind the men who left these places to fight and never to return. Now you can see what they were fighting so hard to protect.

Not many cars in some of the city photos (the photo of Detroit comes to mind) because there was gas rationing and rubber rationing during WWII, so a lot of people car pooled or rode the train or trolley (my mother did). The railroad boxcars were 40 ft long and of wooden construction. Lots of cities in America at that time had cable cars, just like San Francisco - we called them trolleys or street railways, though. Sometimes they were called the Interurban, too.

People and places, and a country, fondly remembered and greatly missed.

Some serious enhancing going on there. Have tried to improve old colour slides of my fathers old photo's from the early 60's....don't come out anywhere near as good as those.