Alphasim/Virtavia F4D Skyray tweaks

Thread: Alphasim/Virtavia F4D Skyray tweaks

Blog Entries

Alphasim/Virtavia F4D Skyray tweaks

Hello all,

For those who also love the "Ford" ....

1) AB effect. Stock is a pretty dated monster pyro-pillar. If you have the Razbam F-102 (another lovely delta, I should add ...), here is my recommended entry for the AB. Note, it's not just a straight replacement of the fx - it needs to be repositioned way forward, or it won't look right. Edit only the BOLD line ..

[lights]
    //Types: 1=beacon, 2=strobe, 3=navigation, 4=cockpit, 5=landing
    light.0 = 4, 15.84, 0.00, 1.71, fx_vclight
    light.1 = 6, -13.50, 0.00, -0.30, fx_engine_Alpha Draken
    light.2 = 9, -3.00, 0.00, -0.30, fx_Razbam_f102_afterburner
    light.3 = 3, -15.63, -0.50, 6.66, fx_navwhi
    light.4 = 3, -15.63, 0.50, 6.66, fx_navwhi

Looks like this:

Attachment 47317

2) Repaints - some lovely paints by Nick Bradin, Bruce Martin, and others. But the VMF-115 paint by Pablo Diaz is just stunning. One of the few photorealistic paints that I have hung on to - magnificent.

3) This is where I need your help. One of the models has the USN Nav Pac pods on the centre line pylon. It appears to be untextured. Anyone figured out a fix for this? It was painted in FS9 ...

Anyway - thanks to Alphasim and the team, as well as all the repainters - my favourite USN jet lives on still, even after all these years ...

dl

it looks as though you have it on the wrong model. the paint was intended for the model that carries two iron bombs, not the one with the centerline tank.

Attachment 47322

if you look closely at the centerline tank it is actually textured... though it just looks like a plain gray texture.

Blog Entries
    Hello Mal,

I know the paint was for the bombed up model. I'm trying to get it to work on the tanks only model. My assumption was that all textures are included for all models, inasmuch as there was the same # of texture files in this repaint as all the others. That "centre line tank" is actually a USN Navpac - and it had a yellow nose on it.

Attachment 47323

Attachment 47324

In FS9, this showed up properly, in FSX, it isn't. I really doubt that grey is textured - I think I'm missing a texture somewhere ....

thanks all the same,

dl

Suggest you may have to hunt through some of the older textures with bmpdxt to find which bmp holds that particular texture and then copy it into the photoreal one shown. Another thing to do is try the model with the AIM-9's. Great to see another Ford Fan here.
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

The texture for this tank is "Fueltank1". It's in both the FS9 version and the FSX version but my FSX one doesn't work either. Maybe Alphasim had to change the model for the FSX version!
    Here is what it looks like in FSX and what it should look like from FS9. (Based on Buccaneer S1 paint scheme, in case your thinking WTF!).

Attachment 47327Attachment 47328

Nick.
    Norwich, a fine city.

Here's a website with some interesting video of the ford.

http://www.criticalpast.com/video/65...nding_wave-off

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NickB View Post
    The texture for this tank is "Fueltank1". It's in both the FS9 version and the FSX version but my FSX one doesn't work either. Maybe Alphasim had to change the model for the FSX version!
    Here is what it looks like in FSX and what it should look like from FS9. (Based on Buccaneer S1 paint scheme, in case your thinking WTF!).

Attachment 47327Attachment 47328

Nick.
    Hello Nick!

Thank you - I knew the pod was untextured - I never thought though, that the issue was the mdl itself. Bummer, because it was a clean, smart look in FS9, as your screenshot clearly shows.

Speaking of smart - that RN FAA scheme looks fabulous!! I just love the work you've done on this model (your RCN paint gets flogged on a very regular basis) - and any other schemes you can think of will be eagerly enjoyed.

Many kind regards,

DL

Hi DL

I did some RAF ones a while a go. I'll get some pics up later. There are some in my profile if you want to take a look in there.

Glad to hear your still flying the RCN ones. There's an RCN carrier as well now isn't there?

Cheers
    Nick
    Norwich, a fine city.

Video is marvelous. Great find and thanks for posting it. Really drives home how fast things were changing in the 50's. Radically futuristic shaped airframe, yet the training film touched on pilots' anxiety about not being able to slide the canopy back during landings (and yet though supersonic with AB, it's still a bit of a bird cage affair!) and trusting the new ejection seat procedure. Great stuff.
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

Back to delta_lima's AB effect for a moment...
    I don't have the Razbam F-102 but I betcha the effect would work fine with Ito-san's F4D as well as the AlphaSim bird. I changed out the AB flame on the Ito plane a while back, think I used Kirk Olson's F-16 flame but not sure. Looks a lot better than the original flame effect. I enjoy doing tweaks like this.

Charter Member 2011
    2nd star to the right...you see that old torino?..ask there

Inquiring minds will find out that this is not the Alphasim/Virtavia Ford

Best regards

Prowler

Prowler,
    If I can allow my inquiring mind to inquire further, is there another F4D available in addition to the AlphaSim and Ito versions? Or maybe a future release? The texture details on the F4D in your pic look kinda like some Spads I have. :d

Holy Beaver Tails Batman !!! That is definatley not the AS (FSX) Skyray and something fairly nicely developed in the RAZBAM skunk works it would appear?!

What, another Ford?? Yes!!!
    Don H

AMD Ryzen 5 7600X
    MSI MAG B650 Tomahawk WIFI/BT
    64GB Corsair Vengeance 6000MHz DDR5 C40 (4x16)
    Sapphire Pulse AMD Radeon RX7900XT 20GB DDR6
    Corsair 5000D Airflow Case
    Corsair RM850x 80+ GOLD P/S
    Liquid Freezer II 360 water cooling
    C:/ WD Black 4TB SN770 Gen 4 NVMe M.2 SSD
    D:/ Crucial P3 PLUS 4TB Gen 4 NVMe M.2 SSD
    Samsung 32" Curved Monitor
    Honeycomb and Saitek Flight Equipment

Quote Originally Posted by delta_lima View Post
    3) This is where I need your help. One of the models has the USN Nav Pac pods on the centre line pylon. It appears to be untextured. Anyone figured out a fix for this? It was painted in FS9 ...
    Thanks for the AB effect.

There is no solution for the missing navpod texture. Well, there is but it's not going to happen. When it was converted from FS9 to FSX the guy doing the work fracked it up (been watching Battlestar Galactica) and messed up the texture mapping (it should use "Fueltank1.dds"). A good reason to always consult everyone who worked on the original before re-releasing. I asked them to fix it back in late 2008 when it was first brought to my attention but the feedback I got was that it was supposed to be gray. If it was supposed to be gray I would have painted that way.
    :ernae:

Charter Member 2011
    2nd star to the right...you see that old torino?..ask there
    Holy Beaver Tails Batman !!! That is definatley not the AS (FSX) Skyray and something fairly nicely developed in the RAZBAM skunk works it would appear?!

Yes, that is the mesh we´re using, it´s done by the same dude that did the Kestrel, is doing the Helldiver and got some other cards under his sleeves..

Prowler

Thought I would revisit the Ford with my paintbrush until the RAZBAM version is out. These are HI RES 4096 textures. I also revisited the RAZBAM T2 butthat's in another post.

Not to resurrect an old thread...but here we go! I just picked up the virtavia Ford for $6 and then happened upon this thread. Is RAZBAM still doing this??? would be great! I just checked out the book "Killer Rays" and it's fantastic. A real neat and historically forgotten gem! Designed by a self taught engineer!
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO
    Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

What are the chances that I could enable the alpha and specular myself? Anyone from Virtavia hang around these parts? Would they consider enabling the environment blending via inverse diffuse alpha setting as well as inserting placeholder spec files? I mean I highly doubt it right. I mean this is a thread from 2011...but I was hoping against hope that by "FSX native" it meant they would have enabled the speculars and alpha channels....oh well for $6 not bad.
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    A few months ago I saw the ford on sale. As its my all time fav navy fighter I asked for recommendations here. As it was on sale, I. Got it. Really a great plane, not a fps hog, and a steal when on sale. There are some neato repaints around also. I suggest you grab this.

Rick, if Mal998 is around and checks in he may be able to get in touch with Phil P at Virtavia and see about your request.

Expat, That would be great! I did purchase it and it's actually quite a good model. And many improvements can and will be made by me...but the model just needs certain attributes changed...

I know for a fact it 100% CAN be done...I've checked. I'm hoping it could done so that the results can be shared by all product owners with the blessing of the authors. So I suppose mal998 if you're around, perhaps this may actually work! the model is pretty old and literally selling for 10$ on pc aviator and I got it for 6$ so it's on the verge...maybe Phil will agree! Literally should only take about a half hour methinks.
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO