Help for a newbie?

Thread: Help for a newbie?

Help for a newbie?

I've been looking at the Gloster E28/39 Pioneer, which was made for FS2002. It needed work as contact points were out, weight was wrong etc; I've managed to sort those out & it seems to perform about right except ....... at about 30 KIAS it starts to pull to the left which, if this was a psiton engined aircraft, I'd assume was due o prop effect over the rudder - but, of course, it is a jet! What remarkably stupid beginners mistake have I made now? I've used a combination of ACM & Airwrench to get to this point.
    Andy

Check the engine location? Make sure it is specified as a jet and not a turboprop? Sorry if these are a bit like calling computer support and the guy asks if it is plugged in.... For twins sometimes folks have started only one engine, or have the throttle setup to only advance one throttle.

If you have AFSD there are lots of things like this you can check.

Cheers: T

Quote Originally Posted by fliger747 View Post
    Check the engine location? Make sure it is specified as a jet and not a turboprop? Sorry if these are a bit like calling computer support and the guy asks if it is plugged in.... For twins sometimes folks have started only one engine, or have the throttle setup to only advance one throttle.

If you have AFSD there are lots of things like this you can check.

Cheers: T
    More than happy for you to assume I am an idiot, brcause I feel like one!!

Just the one engine, set up as a jet (type=1, yes?), and it is in the correct position - but you are right, it does seem like a torque issue, it's weird.

I will have AFSD within minutes, looks like it could be very useful.
    Andy

If you can find the dear departed ACM (Aircraft Container Manager), it is quite useful for determining if the airplane is in the right place, you would not believe some things found.

Another issue, possibly, is the autopilot is on? Use AFSD to check that all trim is set to zero, controls neutral and check the CG location etc. Something basic but not obvious going on, sure it will be an easy fix.

T

Doesn't help that I don't have the slightest clue how to use AFSD!

Yes, I have & am using ACM, think I've got all those parameters sorted ok. Another odd fact; I'm flying this in Golden Wings, with Lionheart's 'Op Valkyrie' and some other addons - if I fly from Martlesham Heath (an addon, and my standard test airfield (if it was good enough for Eric 'Winkle' Brown it's good enough for me) or Templehof (Op V) then I get the pull to the left, flying from the trees at Seattle (ie default) it doesn't do it.

Any more thoughts?
    Andy

AFSD is fairly straightforward: A small stand alone program you run it in a seperate window. It is devided into various tabs, one for engine parameters, aerodynamics, control surfaces, weight and ballance etc. I reads out just what the plane is doing in real time. Pause and take a peek to figure out if the control surfaces are moving (by some command) where trim is going, all sorts of stuff! You do need an unregistered FSUPIC.

T

Thanks for the pointers. Now I know how to use AFSD a little better, I could see there appeared to be no major issues with the control surfaces, so I looked at the other option, was it something to do with the scenery? Switched to the default Cessna, same problem, so looks like I have a bit of a slope with that particular addon, which I will investigate ..... another time!

Tried the Gloster on a few more default & addon airfields, no major issues on the ground & maybe a tad more tuning needed when she's aloft. Thank you very much for your help, it was greatly appreciated & very, very useful. :salute:
    Andy

I am also a newbie

Hi, I have a little problem to solve:
    I am updating a He59 B2 float plane, I replaced the 2 60gal tanks of the model with 3 238gal tanks like the real bird. Of course the plane now is way more heavy and it doesn't even move from the water when full power is applied. I tried with only 2 238gal tanks and I took off with almost no problem.
    Which parameters should I change in the AIR file or CFG file for being able to take off with another 238gal tanks of fuel on board?

Fixed everything

I decided to "play" with this bird a bit. I fixed the propellers, starting from the ones of the Vimy, that are 4 blades and fixed pitch like the ones on the He59. In the process I changed the max rpm on which I get the max power from the engines, the BMWs of the He59 have the max power at 1650rpm. So, after setting the right rpm I started playing with propellers diameter and pitch. Now I can take off and I reach the max speed of 119Kn at sea level at about 1650rpm. I also fixed the fuel consumption, now the 2 BMWs on the wings are getting the right amount of fuel (that is insane!).