A good reason to include external structures in the VC mdl...

Thread: A good reason to include external structures in the VC mdl...

A good reason to include external structures in the VC mdl...

....because real fighter pilots can see the external structures. A fighter pilot isn't locked down into an imovable state in the ejection seat. Looking all around is part of their job.

http://youtu.be/w1f6e27iRTU?t=4m22s

Love this video.

My roomies dad did a bunch of Cope Thunders flying Eagles.

Regards, Diego

Yeah, I borrowed that video link from you, thanks Diego.

Clark AB! Now that the work is done, time for lumpia and San Miguels in Angeles City! That was a cool video. Thanks for sharing.
    MB: GIGABYTE GA-X299 UD4 PRO ATX
    CPU: Intel(R) Core™ Processor i9-10900X Ten-Core 3.7GHz
    MEM: 64GB (8GBx8) DDR4/3000MHz Quad Channel
    GPU: RTX 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6
    HP Reverb G2

Quote Originally Posted by PRB View Post
    Clark AB! Now that the work is done, time for lumpia and San Miguels in Angeles City! That was a cool video. Thanks for sharing.
    Sounds good to me.
    Have a few at the EM club on base to get primed, then head out into town!

This is one reason Oleg Maddox disapproves of TrackIR with 6DOF in the Il-2 series, at least up to the Il-2:1946 version. Not all of the aircraft had adequate detail beyond the view from a fixed point, so 6DOF would allow the pilot to look through cracks and openings in the cockpit.

It's also an issue with some aircraft for MSFS as they may lack a nose, so when you lean forward or stretch your neck, you find nothing beyond the windscreen.
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Even with FS9, including "too much" detail in the virtual cockpit model would frequently drag frame rates down into the gutter. With the newer, hotter systems today that isn't so much the case any longer, but then most of the models for FS9 are already built...

For FSX however, the number of polygons is no longer quite that important, although I still persist in deleting polys that simply can NOT be seen without doing unnatural things, such as sticking your head through the canopy, or looking around with the eye on your left big toe...
    Bill Leaming
    3d Modeler Max/GMax
    C & XML Gauge Programmer

Military Visualizations
    http://milviz.com

Intel® Core™ i7-3770k 4.2GHz - Crucial 16GB DDR3 - Dual Radeon HD770 1GB DDR5 (Crossfire) - Eco II Watercooling - Win7 64bit
    Intel® Core™ i7-2600k 3.4GHz - Crucial 8GB DDR3 - NVIDIA EVGA GTX-770 SC 4GB - Win7 64bit

Quote Originally Posted by n4gix View Post
    or looking around with the eye on your left big toe...
    Why on earth would anybody do so. Attachment 45748
    I won´t see your signature.

n4gix if you have a eye on your big left toe, take some pics...lol

Cool video

Quote Originally Posted by Shylock View Post
    n4gix if you have a eye on your big left toe, take some pics...lol

Cool video
    Well, n4gix did a pretty good job of modelling under the instrument panel of the T-38. I think we can guess why. Lol.

Lucky pilot in that video! He got a TrackIR 1000!
    I kinda look like that while flying DCS A-10. Where's that switch?!?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Tim Piglet Conrad
    Piglet's Peculiar Planes
    "Ahhh... the freedom of freeware!"
    First Rule of Aviation:
    Don't piss off your mechanic.

More like "I dropped a contact lens!!!"

WWII Naval aircraft often depended on the pilot having a dogs view (head almost out the canopy sighting down along the cowl to be able to see the Batsman or LSO. I use this technique when doing carrier ops with such worthies as the F4U and Seafire. Slightly disconcerting if parts are "missing". This includes the nose if one jacks the seat up a bit. Most viewpoints are set too low so as to center on the gunsight, usually the pilot would lean fwd a bit to align with the gunsight, but normally had a higher viewpoint! HUD's hepled this a lot in modern aircraft.

Cheers: T