Virtavia C-17 Globemaster III is OUT!!! - Page 4
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Virtavia C-17 Globemaster III is OUT!!!

Videre Vincere Est

Icon5

Quote Originally Posted by strykerpsg View Post
    So, is anyone else not able to receive or transmit radio traffic? If everyone else is able to send and receive, are you doing anything else when starting her up? As stated earlier, I use CTL-E and generally that turns everything on.

As for the artificial horizon, I will try to unlock it. I just overlooked that part of doing so, but there are other birds that require you to uncage them as well.

Ultimately, if I can just get the radio comms straight, will absolutely not complain any further. Also, does anyone else have the 2D cockpit? I just want to ensure my install isn't dorked up. If everyone else has 2D and radio comms, then it's absolutely something I am doing wrong. It is most definitely one of my most entertaining purchases this year, along with the Wilco Harrier.

Matt

Matt
    Hi Matt, got my C-17 today. I have a 2D panel, and i have working comms.
    If you have trouble, why don't you re-download your package and re-install?
    Did you install with the UAC turned off?

"When you are courting a nice girl an hour seems like a second. When you sit on a red-hot cinder a second seems like an hour. That's relativity." - Albert Einstein

Warrant's [MARQUEE]YouTube Channel[/MARQUEE] [MARQUEE]Photobucket [/MARQUEE] [MARQUEE]Webpage[/MARQUEE]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Weather radar EU and USA

I turned off the UAC many months ago, although I can re-check that it's still off. I really want this one to work and be successful for Virtavia, in hopes they continue to add an FMC and perhaps some cargo pallets in the rear, in a later patch....

I'll uninstall and reinstall after dinner and a movie. More to follow....

Matt

So, officially my UAC is been turned off, verified twice. I uninstalled and reinstalled and still no 2D, no radio comms (although the menu shows up) and autopilot doesn't operate on a clean install. So, looking for other alternative solutions..........

Matt

So, modded the cfg file, autopilot works. I started free flight in another aircraft, radios work. switched to the C-17 and radios continued working. At least I'm getting somewhere and more frustrated that I seem to be the only one experiencing these issues.

Matt

any idea when fspilotshop.com will get this one?
    Visit my website www.scale-aviation.com

C-17

So, modded the cfg file, autopilot works. I started free flight in another aircraft, radios work. switched to the C-17 and radios continued working. At least I'm getting somewhere and more frustrated that I seem to be the only one experiencing these issues.

Matt
    Hi Matt and others -

With FSX, it's always best to NOT change the default flight from the original one with the ultralight aircraft, and all systems on. Load that flight first, then switch to another aircraft of your choice. I've found with doing that, I've had no problems with electrical/radios/AP/etc. with any aircraft. And no, I haven't pulled the trigger on buying this C-17 yet, but I'm REALLY tempted!

Cheers,
    Jim
    Jim B.
    R/W Cessna 172 Pilot
    Captain, SWVA, NorCal Hub

Jim,

Thanks for the info. It may be a part of whats wrong now. I now get very wild gyrations when using the autopilot, to the point of the plane going inverted and generally nose diving into the virtual terra firma below.

The radios do work now(not sure it wasn't an initial glitch that worked itself free), as does the artificial horizon(was not uncaged) and the 2D cockpit not showing is a byproduct of three spanned monitors which is great for VC, but not 2D. I think the only thing I have to tweak now is the autopilot issues.

Bottom line is their release isn't faulty, my set up is. The only legitimate bug I have seen so far is the autopilot switch not wanting to come on and that fix has been identified. If you are sitting on the fence based on my feedback, please disregard it as a byproduct of Virtavia's design, its all me, mostly. It's truly a fantastic plane.

Matt

Attachment 39940Attachment 39941Attachment 39942Attachment 39943Attachment 39944Attachment 39945Attachment 39946Attachment 39947

Did a bit of tweaking on the HUD swapping out the stock one with the updated F/A-18 HUD. Works beautifully! Once I finish testing, I will provide the patch info.

Quote Originally Posted by StormILM View Post
    Attachment 39940Attachment 39941Attachment 39942Attachment 39943Attachment 39944Attachment 39945Attachment 39946Attachment 39947

Did a bit of tweaking on the HUD swapping out the stock one with the updated F/A-18 HUD. Works beautifully! Once I finish testing, I will provide the patch info.
    Please do share when you get it right. I am liking this beast the more I fly it. Now, if I can only get the autopilot steps figured out......not rocket science but never had my other planes take turns at very sharp angles and begin to loose lift. Still having a blast though.

Matt

Matt,
    I flew a very nice flight yesterday from Charleston to Oceana using FSX's flight planner(IFR). My flight plan took me to altitude with ATC flight following all the way. Make sure you have ATC sounds turned on and if desired choose a voice for pilot (under general tab).

I turned on the AP switch, then the FD switch. Once airborne I hit the GPS switch and then NAV1 and she flew me right to Oceana.

Once airborne you can set the Altitude using the mouse-wheel, and then hit the altitude Hold switch. Vertical speed can also be set using the mouse-wheel.

If desired you can set the speed using the mouse-wheel and lock it in by pushing the "SPD" hold button.

Dials named "SEL" are operated using the mouse-wheel (up or down).

ATC functions are governed thru settings in the game. For a while I could not hear ATC but upon further investigation I realized that I had the ATC voice and pilot's voice response turned off.

I'm sure I missed a bunch of things, but this should get folks a little more familiar with the Autopilot settings. It also took me a while to figure out how the darn thing works!

Quote Originally Posted by mal998 View Post
    Matt,
    I flew a very nice flight yesterday from Charleston to Oceana using FSX's flight planner(IFR). My flight plan took me to altitude with ATC flight following all the way. Make sure you have ATC sounds turned on and if desired choose a voice for pilot (under general tab).

I turned on the AP switch, then the FD switch. Once airborne I hit the GPS switch and then NAV1 and she flew me right to Oceana.

Once airborne you can set the Altitude using the mouse-wheel, and then hit the altitude Hold switch. Vertical speed can also be set using the mouse-wheel.

If desired you can set the speed using the mouse-wheel and lock it in by pushing the "SPD" hold button.

Dials named "SEL" are operated using the mouse-wheel (up or down).

ATC functions are governed thru settings in the game. For a while I could not hear ATC but upon further investigation I realized that I had the ATC voice and pilot's voice response turned off.

I'm sure I missed a bunch of things, but this should get folks a little more familiar with the Autopilot settings. It also took me a while to figure out how the darn thing works!
    Mal,

After some tweaking, basically uninstall and reinstall, then modding the cfg file, everything works great! I have ATC sounds again and flew from McChord to Kaneohe MCAS in Hawaii, all without a glitch. The only issue seems to be the way the autopilot handles some banking changes. Twice when intercepting the next waypoint, she has gone into 90 degree plus bank and just kept rolling over. So, will play more with her tonight.

I am going to post another thread in the troubleshooting side, looking for suggestions in accessing the 2D in a triple monitor setup. Although admittedly, she looks fantastic on three monitors in VC. Virtavia/Alphasim has done a great job on this one and the only true bug seems to be the power to the autopilot switch.

Matt

BTW, how can I assign an Air Force call sign to her instead of Boeing 0186? I tried editing this before, but couldn't get the ATC to call them byt he call sign I wanted. Thoughts?

BTW, how can I assign an Air Force call sign to her instead of Boeing 0186? I tried editing this before, but couldn't get the ATC to call them byt he call sign I wanted. Thoughts?
    Under the individual [fltsim.xx] sections make sure the value for "atc_airline" is "Air Force". You can use the long tail number for the "atc_id" and a shortened version of the tail number for "atc_flight_number". With the changes below ATC will refer to you as "Air Force One Four Seven":

Code:
    [fltsim.8]
    title=Virtavia C-17A 8
    sim=C17A
    model=
    panel=
    sound=
    texture=Hickam_HANG
    kb_checklists=C17A_Check
    kb_reference=C17A_Ref
    ui_typerole="Strategic Transport"
    ui_createdby="Virtavia"
    ui_manufacturer=Boeing
    ui_type=C-17A
    ui_variation=15th AW, Hickam AFB, Hawaii
    description=...
    atc_id=55147
    atc_heavy=0
    atc_airline=Air Force
    atc_flight_number=147
    atc_parking_types=MIL_COMBAT
    visual_damage=0
    :ernae:

C-17

Matt wrote:

If you are sitting on the fence based on my feedback, please disregard it as a byproduct of Virtavia's design, its all me, mostly. It's truly a fantastic plane.

Matt
    Hi Matt,

The reason why I haven't yet bought it is the price tag....it's high, particularly for a plane that doesn't have an FMC. I know Ernie Alston is working on one for his ISG package, which is good, but I still think a plane of this price should have a fully (or as close to it as possible, given FSX limitations) functional FMC. I'm still VERY much considering buying it, though!

Cheers,
    Jim
    Jim B.
    R/W Cessna 172 Pilot

Okay, due to licensing issues regarding the freeware HUD, I prefer not to hoop jump to package and upload the files I glued together for the C-17 HUD update. I will however show here how to obtain the freeware materials and installed the C-17 HUD set up as I did. First, if you don't already have it, download the Eaglesoft F/A-18 Blue Angles package here: http://www.mediafire.com/?nocynom3cd4

From there, install the package into FSX or you can create a subfolder on your desktop and aim the installer to unpack everything there. First, go to the FA-18BA-Eaglesim pack texture folder and copy the following textures into the Virtavia C-17 shared texture folder: $F18_A_GAUGE1.dds, F-18_Glass_T.dds, FA_18_Cube.dds, FA_18_fresnelhud.dds, Fresnel_Ramp.dds. There should be no overwrite prompts.

Next, go to the FA-18BA-Eaglesim panel folder and copy the following items to the Virtavia C-17 panel folder: FA18_HUD_Switches, FA18_HUD_VC_R, panel.v0, panel.v1.

Next, in the Virtavia C-17 panel folder, open the panel config file with notepad and copy and paste the following lines in the proper sequence:

[Window Titles]

Window08=HUD Switches //<---Add this under the GPS entry in Window Titles list

[Window08] //<------- Add below Window07 entry
    size_mm=175,438
    position=6 // 0 for upper-left corner, 2 for upper-right, 6 for lower-left, 8 for lower-right
    window_size=0.125,0.500
    visible=0
    ident=10050

gauge00=FA18_HUD_Switches!Panel Background, 0,0,175,438
    gauge01=FA18_HUD_Switches!Nav1CRS, 55,342,32,32
    gauge02=FA18_HUD_Switches!Nav2CRS, 55,382,32,32
    gauge03=FA18_HUD_Switches!GPS CRS, 55,298,32,32
    gauge04=FA18_HUD_Switches!Nav-GPS, 75,120,37,74
    gauge05=FA18_HUD_Switches!HUD Clock, 45,189,90,50
    gauge06=FA18_HUD_Switches!HUD Steering Switch, 68,229,37,74
    gauge07=FA18_HUD_Switches!HUD Reject Switch, 35,13,28,28
    gauge08=FA18_HUD_Switches!HUD Altitude Switch, 35,53,28,28
    gauge09=FA18_HUD_Switches!HUD ILS Switch, 108,13,28,28
    gauge10=FA18_HUD_Switches!HUD Cage Switch, 108,53,28,28
    gauge11=FA18_HUD_Switches!HUD Power Switch, 78,75,37,74

[Vcockpit03]
    ; HUD
    file=
    Background_color=0,0,0
    size_mm=512,600
    visible=0
    pixel_size=512,600
    texture=$vpanel3

//gauge00=Virtavia_C-17!HUD, 25, 0, 450, 600
    gauge00=FA18_HUD_VC_R!FA18_HUD_VC_R, 25, 0, 450, 600// <---this is the new HUD.

That is it.

Okay, here are the limitations. First, with the engines running, generators on and avionics switch on, you will need to hit Shirt + 9 to open the HUD popup control panel. From there, you can adjust the HUD as you need. There is no brightness control and the VC HUD control switches do not work after this modification. Still, the different modes and more legible symbology with 3 declutter settings make it alot easier to work with.

Hopefully a good Collimated HUD update will be made for the C-17. A model of this quality deserves it!

Took the Plunge

Just purchased the C-17. Wow ! Great fun ! If you have enjoyed getting the Captain Sim C-130 into and out of challenging airstrips all over the globe, then you will love doing the same thing with Virtavia's C-17.

Frank, any chance they are looking to revise the HUD? I flew another successful mission from Sigonella to Gibraltar and worked great, just finding the HUD a bit useless in it's present incarnation. Aside from the earlier Autopilot switch, it's a great model.

Matt

Frank, any chance they are looking to revise the HUD? I flew another successful mission from Sigonella to Gibraltar and worked great, just finding the HUD a bit useless in it's present incarnation. Aside from the earlier Autopilot switch, it's a great model.

Matt
    A change to the HUD was mentioned in the beta forum a few days ago but haven't seen nor heard anything since. So not sure what is going on with that. Will post here when something happens.

The paintkit for the C-17 is available on the paintkits page of the Alphasim/Virtavia freeware site.

http://www.easyfly.co.nz/Freeware/in...ir=/Paint Kits

Videre Vincere Est

Quote Originally Posted by fsafranek View Post
    The paintkit for the C-17 is available on the paintkits page of the Alphasim/Virtavia freeware site.

http://www.easyfly.co.nz/Freeware/in...ir=/Paint Kits
    Great news, though my first one is already out :ernae:

Thanks for sharing!

"When you are courting a nice girl an hour seems like a second. When you sit on a red-hot cinder a second seems like an hour. That's relativity." - Albert Einstein

Warrant's [MARQUEE]YouTube Channel[/MARQUEE] [MARQUEE]Photobucket [/MARQUEE] [MARQUEE]Webpage[/MARQUEE]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Weather radar EU and USA

Hope folks don't miss this because the thread is no longer sticky for some reason.

There's been an update to the Virtavia C-17. This update includes:
    • Improved pilot’s HUD graphics
    • AP knobs for SPD, HDG and ALT are now also mousable using left and right click in addition to the mousewheel
    • Fuel burn rate has also been adjusted following feedback from realworld C-17 pilots
    New purchasers should just download the main C-17 download .exe wrapper file as normal. Existing owners can use the small update Zip file available on the Virtavia site at the link below. Extract the contents of the Zip to the root folder of the sim (the way we used to always do it at Alphasim), which for FSX will be ‘Microsoft Flight Simulator X’, and for FS9 ‘Microsoft Flight Simulator 9′. Overwrite the existing files when prompted.

http://www.virtavia.com/?p=427

If you made any adjustments to the original aircraft.cfg file (adding older textures, adjusting contact points, etc.) you should save your current copy to the side and put those changes into the new one.

Videre Vincere Est

Icon5

Thanks for the H/U and description.

Edit: Installed the update. First thing i dislike (and need to find out how to get that single element of update back to original) is....the HUD.
    I know i'm swearing in the church by saying this but i just don't like it.
    The HUD plate at the PIC seat is skew forward, but the display info is straight in front of me, overlapping the HUD's outside edges. When moving to FO-position, the HUD is the way is was (and correctly positioned IMHO).
    Regarding the info displayed in the HUD, and how adequate that is i can be short: not assessed yet.

Gonna take the C17 out for a flight now, to check that, and it's fuel consumption rate.

Really love take off and land this grotesk beast, btw!
    (perhaps i'll test it again and again, just for that purpose :-))

Edit2: Below pictures denote what i mean (left is copilot seat HUD, right is PIC seat with odd angle of HUD info displayed):

Attachment 40575 Attachment 40576

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Weather radar EU and USA

Hmmm, a bit disappointed. The HUD still looks the same and my autopilot switch still doesn't come on. Back to modding the cfg file again. Frank, anyway they can at least address the autopilot power switch? It's such a simple fix.

Matt

Hmmm, a bit disappointed. The HUD still looks the same and my autopilot switch still doesn't come on. Back to modding the cfg file again. Frank, anyway they can at least address the autopilot power switch? It's such a simple fix.

Matt
    It works fine on my system so I can't replicate whatever the problem was/is. I'll ask in the beta forum if anyone is still having any problems. In the meantime, the AP on the 2D panel works fine and does update the AP in the VC.

Icon5 I took the plunge today...

Well, after much internal debate, I FINALLY took the plunge and bought it today. I flew a circuit around KEDW....VERY COOL PLANE!!!

I know Erine Alston is working on an FMC for it, but in the meantime, I've inserted another freeware FMC that works off the FSX planner....I have yet to try it out on this plane, but it's worked with a couple of others nicely. (You can find it on Flightsim.com - search for "Garrett Smith honeywell fmc for fsx" or "fmc-1.zip". It's in the FSX panels section of the library.)

I :salute: Virtavia for a very well done airplane all the way around! Bravo Zulu, Guys!!

Jim
    Jim B.
    R/W Cessna 172 Pilot

I have done some further testing on the VC autopilot power switch. What I discovered is this: if the battery power is turned off on then turned back on, the AP power switch will not work.

The easiest and quickest way to fix the AP power switch (VC) is to change the aircraft.cfg to show electrical always on.

That way, if you start from a cold/dark and turn on the electrical on the overhead panel, the autopilot switch will function properly.

Members who have read this thread: 45