OT 303 SMLE - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: OT 303 SMLE

love the Mauser98k such a nice looking weapon that!
    Pete!

Support Help For Heroes!

Yeah your right Its the Steyr Mannlicher M95 Carbine used by the Austro-Hungarian Army! :salute: Really nice weapon!
    Pete!

Support Help For Heroes!

That is a Eddystone M1917 (P-17), in 30.06
    The Steyr is indeed a M1895, in 8X56R. Odd looking round. And the rifle is a straight pull bolt, no turning the handle up or down, just pull and push. The recoil pad is not standard, it came off my MAS 49/56.
    The Mosin Nagant is a Finnish Sako-built version.
    I did have 7.5mm French ammo, but I ran it thru the 49/56, and didn't save any for the 36.
    P.S Also got the sword bayonent for the SMLE No.1 Mk III. Gotta be careful in the house!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Tim Piglet Conrad
    Piglet's Peculiar Planes
    "Ahhh... the freedom of freeware!"
    First Rule of Aviation:
    Don't piss off your mechanic.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Beautiful weapon. Good job on the restore

I'm one of the few that like the Spike bayonets! Just like the Fairburn Sykes fighting knives used by the Royal Marines Causes massive loss of blood pressure and death, horrible, thats why were pilots! we don't have to see our brothers dieing we just see a flash and some smoke! Cannot imagine it! :salute:

P.S. I hate Firearms, I see no reason to own them unless your in an army, yes I've fired them and found it highly exciting but owning one for home defence is mad to me! cannot see the point at all!
    Really enjoyed this thread though!
    Pete!

Support Help For Heroes!

Quote Originally Posted by peter12213 View Post
    I'm one of the few that like the Spike bayonets! Just like the Fairburn Sykes fighting knives used by the Royal Marines Causes massive loss of blood pressure and death, horrible, thats why were pilots! we don't have to see our brothers dieing we just see a flash and some smoke! Cannot imagine it! :salute:

P.S. I hate Firearms, I see no reason to own them unless your in an army, yes I've fired them and found it highly exciting but owning one for home defence is mad to me! cannot see the point at all!
    Really enjoyed this thread though!

That's fine, Pete.

I happen to consider myself pro-choice on self defense.

Just because we here have the right to determine our own fate, and then to properly equip and train ourselves, for such a situation, it isn't a mandate. There are plenty of people here, who think like you.

Having that option is the difference between being a citizen and a subject.

Quote Originally Posted by jeansy View Post
    after i posted a thread a while back about hobbies, i saw there was a few shooters in there

Nice!!

I should break out the commonwealth members of my collection this weekend, for a family photo. Here's just one:

The spike bayonet was just that, round like a six inch nail with no sharp edges to cut, the first spike for the Mk 4 blade was made in cruciform shape to lighten and strengthen but gave way to the nail shape nothing like a Fairburn Sykes fighting knives.

The No1 Mk III never had a spike bayonet.

This is the spike bayonet for the Mk 4 Lee Enfield and

a Sykes Fairburn knife to compare

Quote Originally Posted by wombat666 View Post
    As long as we are having a little OT discussion........
    Matt, I trust your SMLE is a pukka "Made in Australia" model?
    Rather than go down the Mk.IV route Lithgow did a first class job of improving the Mk.III, personally I do not like the Mk.IV in any shape or form and the Mk.V was just a pig of a weapon.
    I'd lay even money that the 'Enfield Carbine' in Cirrus N210MS's collection dates from around 1907 or thereabouts, I doubt many ever saw service in WW.I.
    Nice restoration BTW.

Its a true OZ stick, marked Lithgow but built and inspected in Bathurst

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post

Yeah I wasn't actually saying the bayonet was like the knife just saying that the effect is much the same for stabbing rather than hacking or cutting!
    Pete!

Support Help For Heroes!

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post

there was also a blade bayonet for the #4's

Attachment 33071

When I was a kid in Hight school my brother was playing around with a Sykes Fairburn knife, and you gested it, stab me in the arm with it, came out all the way trough. Dam nere blead to death. So I can say they do work vary well for what they were made for!!!
    Marvin Carter
    No matter how hard you try, you can't baptize cats.

Yeah there deadly probably one of the finest fighting knives ever made! What happened to your brother Marvin bet he got a fair whack on the ass for that lol!
    Pete!

Support Help For Heroes!

SMLE - Rifle No. 1 Mk.III*

I have a Frankenstein version of this rifle:
    The receiver is an Ishapore No.1 Mk.III*
    The barrel is from an Irish gun marked FF at the reinforce. It is also the tightest .303 I have ever seen. It is basically new and could probably use .308 bullets without serious loss of accuracy
    The muzzle cap is from a No.1 Mk.III (No Star) pre-Great War era gun. It has been opened slightly to clear the barrel and front sight.
    The trigger guard is also from the pre-Great War gun
    The butt stock is from a No.4 Mk.I with broad arrow marks
    The bolt is new from an Australian No.1 Mk.III* I bought 3 and installed the one that gave the best headspace. Headspace on this gun is very tight.
    The rear sight guard is also from the Great War veteran
    The magazine is a new one military issue
    The spring under the loop on the barrel is a cut down piece from a M1 Garand.

This spring is VERY important for accuracy. I have never seriously tested this gun for accuracy, but I have shot quite a few sub 2-inch groups with it. The Great War veteran was bought for $30 from a fellow on the range who was getting keyholes at 50 yards. That gun was WORN OUT. It's bolt was so loose the bolt head would not stay in its track. Its serial number matched the receiver, so I knew it wasn't a mismatch. In fact another bolt fit better in this receiver than the original.

Frankenstein looks very good as long as you don't look at any of the markings.

BTW, The distinction between the No.1 Mk.III and the Mk.III* is whether or not the gun has a magazine cutoff. A lot of the guns had the cutoff removed at some later date, but you can still tell the guns apart by the slot on the left side of the receiver. The idea was that you load the magazine and engage the cutoff. At this point, you load and fire single rounds. When the Huns come out of their trenches, you pull the cutoff ouy and have 10 magazine fed rounds to repell boarders.

- Ivan.

my enfield has heavy barrel use the weapon has heavy barrel pitting fixed sights 10 round magazine no bayonet

it kicks like mule has tool hatch on back metal butt plate

ill try to take some more photos:salute:

Videre Vincere Est

Ivan & Cirrus; pictures please?

"When you are courting a nice girl an hour seems like a second. When you sit on a red-hot cinder a second seems like an hour. That's relativity." - Albert Einstein

Warrant's [MARQUEE]YouTube Channel[/MARQUEE] [MARQUEE]Photobucket [/MARQUEE] [MARQUEE]Webpage[/MARQUEE]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Weather radar EU and USA

Videre Vincere Est

Icon5

WOW, Cirrus, thanks for sharing!

Edit: here two more shot's of my SMLE (it is a non-functional one):

Attachment 33275Attachment 33274

"When you are courting a nice girl an hour seems like a second. When you sit on a red-hot cinder a second seems like an hour. That's relativity." - Albert Einstein

Warrant's [MARQUEE]YouTube Channel[/MARQUEE] [MARQUEE]Photobucket [/MARQUEE] [MARQUEE]Webpage[/MARQUEE]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Weather radar EU and USA

nice
    Thursday, November 27 2014 I Lost My Best Friend My Uncle! He Was Amazing person He was a volunteer For Las Vegas metro Police he will be missed, I Volunteer with him Many Times With LVMPD And USFS

THOMAS CURTIS
    Thursday Nov 27th 2014

==Punisher of Arizona == Thin Blue Line

heres a couple receiver pics of my Savage made enfield, with the original, non simplified bolt release.

Frankenstein.

I wanted to get a really good shot of the muzzle to show the condition of the rifling, but the sun didn't cooperate for lighting. I also have a Wilkinson sword bayonet for this gun, but wasn't able to find it for photographs.

- Ivan.

Gun are perhaps quite normal in the USA and some other countries, but in many countries guns are quite controversial. As this is an international forum I would like ask your understanding for this.

Personally I think guns have absolutely nothing to do with virtual and real aviation therefore I kindly as you, as a fellow member and not as SOH staff to post threads in another more suitable forum.

Thanks,
    Huub

Videre Vincere Est

Icon5

Quote Originally Posted by huub vink View Post
    Gun are perhaps quite normal in the USA and some other countries, but in many countries guns are quite controversial. As this is an international forum I would like ask your understanding for this.

Personally I think guns have absolutely nothing to do with virtual and real aviation therefore I kindly as you, as a fellow member and not as SOH staff to post threads in another more suitable forum.

Thanks,
    Huub
    In that case i suggest you, as a SOH admin, move this thread to a more appropriate place. It would be a waste to just vacate such a nice thread like this (with all those nice images, stories and information), just to be considerate to nations that have controversity with gun's (though living in such a nation, i differentiate from such a point of view).
    Though i can understand peoples aversion to gun's, i truly believe it is not the gun that kills or harms people; it is the mankind that irresponsibly operates the gun, that is harmfull.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Weather radar EU and USA