Section 8's Sabre
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Section 8's Sabre

Section 8's Sabre

Have not heard anything on Section 8"s Sabre for fsx in a while, any news? Still one of the best in my opion, even using the fs9 in fsx.
    Domine Deus miserere mei

Nzxt Phantom Case
    Asus Xonar Essence STX Audio Card
    Gigabyte Intel Z77 LGA 1155
    Intel I-5 Ivy Bridge 4.5 GHZ OC
    Xigmatek HDT-S1283 CPU Cooler

16 GB Ripjaws X Series
    MSI Gaming 4G GTX 970
    Viewsonic 27" monitor

Antec 750 Bronze power supply

Fsx on 'Raptor drive

Wn 7 64 bit on 500gb Raptor drive
    2T Storage HD
    Felix Audio Elise Headphone amp, PS Audio Nu Wave DAC Harman-Kardon avr 510 with EV Sentry V Speaker
    Sennheiser HD800 Headphones

Unfortunately if you look at the Section F8 FSX forum it states: "The SectionF8 Sabre project is something on the side".

So I wouldn't think it is going to be released anytime soon, which is a pity for us Sabre lovers.

Regards, Mike Mann

Turning the Convair into a native model without any bells and whistles was a six hour job, hence I'd do it if someone gets me the source files.

Retired SOH Administrator Ferry_vO's Avatar
    I don't think Jan Visser does anything "without any bells and whistles" and he's currently busy with the Maam-Sim N3N so we'll just have to be patient!
    Intel i9-13900 Raptor Lake , Be Quiet! Dark rock slim cooler, 32 Gb Corsair DDR5 RAM, MSI Z790 Tomahawk motherboard, Asus RTX 4060Ti 16Gb, Thermaltake 1050 Watt PSU, Windows 11 64-bit 1 m2, 4 SSD, 2 HDD.

Charter Member 2011
    didnt they say they where useing the n3n as a breaking in/familiarty plane so they could get to gribs with FSX, then depending on how that went do some others?
    yes i know i cant spell half the time! Thank you kindly to those few who pointed that out

Quote Originally Posted by stiz View Post
    didnt they say they where useing the n3n as a breaking in/familiarty plane so they could get to gribs with FSX, then depending on how that went do some others?
    Yes they certainly did refer to the fact that what they learn now will help them make a better FSX native Sabre. The downside being that we are going to have to wait awhile to get it.

Regards, Mike Mann

We have quite a lot going on at Maam-Sim for a while now (certainly not only the N3N... ) so i'm afraid the Sabre is on the backburner for still some time to come. There's an almost finished F-86 upgrade package in the works with the hardwing model, external model and VC upgrades plus completely new handpainted textures for camo or other colored Sabres sporting super detailed panellining, rivets, legends, etc., by graphics artist Don Feeley. PSD layered repaint kit included too.

Uncertain still when i will be able to find the time to finish it all up and release the upgrade package. Good news is that there's a fair chance of a native FSX version coming to your hangar this year.

@Bjoern : that's a great offer, thanks mate ! :salute:

But like Ferry mentioned, it would be a pity to loose all FSX dedicated bells & whistles during the conversion process. Maybe we could still do with the internal textures as they are now, but we certainly don't want to miss out on the higher resolution textures for the external model. Then again, since we have a handpainted, layered texture set for the external model now that might turn out not to be such a hard job to accomplish.

We'd probabely have to loose the photoreal bare-metal textures and go with the possibilities FSX can provide regarding bare-metal texturing. As some of the recently released models have proven to be a big step forward compared to FS9.

But, hey, i'll talk your offer over with my mates, we could sure do with your help !

Thanks again, Bjoern, much appreciated ! I'll be in touch with you shortly.

Cheers,
    Jan

and so...just like the renowned North American F-86...Jan shows up and clears the air with a flourish

Cant wait for that N3N my friend - among all the other pokers ya got in the fire...
    enter..the Sandman

visit Heywood Planes - YouTube

Great news Javis, thanks for the update, will be looking forward to the update. Don
    Domine Deus miserere mei

Nzxt Phantom Case
    Asus Xonar Essence STX Audio Card
    Gigabyte Intel Z77 LGA 1155
    Intel I-5 Ivy Bridge 4.5 GHZ OC
    Xigmatek HDT-S1283 CPU Cooler

16 GB Ripjaws X Series
    MSI Gaming 4G GTX 970
    Viewsonic 27" monitor

Antec 750 Bronze power supply

Fsx on 'Raptor drive

Wn 7 64 bit on 500gb Raptor drive
    2T Storage HD
    Felix Audio Elise Headphone amp, PS Audio Nu Wave DAC Harman-Kardon avr 510 with EV Sentry V Speaker
    Sennheiser HD800 Headphones

All the Luck Jan; still loving the Sabre.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferry_vO View Post
    I don't think Jan Visser does anything "without any bells and whistles" and he's currently busy with the Maam-Sim N3N so we'll just have to be patient!
    By "bells and whistles" I mean unkeyframed special XML animations.

Quote Originally Posted by Javis View Post
    Just to be clear, a FSX conversion from FS9 just involves adding a keyframes to a few parts (ailerons, rudder, elevator), doing some XML editing as FSX's formatting differs from FS9's, tagging animations, FSX compilant materials and extensive use of the attachpoint tool as well as cooking basic spec and bump maps.

Mesh and texture mapping will stay untouched, so you can go 2048 on the main textures whenever you want.

Remember, repaint compatibility is a key element of conversions.

Quote Originally Posted by Bjoern View Post
    a FSX conversion from FS9 just involves adding a keyframes to a few parts (ailerons, rudder, elevator), doing some XML editing as FSX's formatting differs from FS9's, tagging animations, FSX compilant materials and extensive use of the attachpoint tool as well as cooking basic spec and bump maps.
    And that's a whole lot of work ;-)
    You must apply the new FSX materials to all textured parts, and to make all swithces work in FSX will be quite a job as well. To have at least the FS9 functionality in FSX as well (which would be a requirenment), the XML code must be converted (and applied) to the applicable parts and animations.
    Anyway, sounds like a lot of fun TBH!

Mesh and texture mapping will stay untouched, so you can go 2048 on the main textures whenever you want. Remember, repaint compatibility is a key element of conversions.
    very true.

Cheers Rob
    Dutch National Aviation Theme Park and Museum.
    No DC3 without the DC2

Quote Originally Posted by robcap View Post
    And that's a whole lot of work ;-)
    You must apply the new FSX materials to all textured parts, and to make all swithces work in FSX will be quite a job as well. To have at least the FS9 functionality in FSX as well (which would be a requirenment), the XML code must be converted (and applied) to the applicable parts and animations.
    Anyway, sounds like a lot of fun TBH!
    I had the Convair FSX native in six hours and that included a lot of cursing at GMax because it misses some very convenient functions that are included in 3DS Max ("Unhide By Name" for example).

We have quite a lot going on at Maam-Sim for a while now (certainly not only the N3N... ) so i'm afraid the Sabre is on the backburner for still some time to come. There's an almost finished F-86 upgrade package in the works with the hardwing model, external model and VC upgrades plus completely new handpainted textures for camo or other colored Sabres sporting super detailed panellining, rivets, legends, etc., by graphics artist Don Feeley. PSD layered repaint kit included too.

Uncertain still when i will be able to find the time to finish it all up and release the upgrade package. Good news is that there's a fair chance of a native FSX version coming to your hangar this year.

@Bjoern : that's a great offer, thanks mate ! :salute:

But like Ferry mentioned, it would be a pity to loose all FSX dedicated bells & whistles during the conversion process. Maybe we could still do with the internal textures as they are now, but we certainly don't want to miss out on the higher resolution textures for the external model. Then again, since we have a handpainted, layered texture set for the external model now that might turn out not to be such a hard job to accomplish.

We'd probabely have to loose the photoreal bare-metal textures and go with the possibilities FSX can provide regarding bare-metal texturing. As some of the recently released models have proven to be a big step forward compared to FS9.

But, hey, i'll talk your offer over with my mates, we could sure do with your help !

Thanks again, Bjoern, much appreciated ! I'll be in touch with you shortly.

Cheers,
    Jan
    Hello,

Available in this repaint?

Thank you!
    Zsolt
    http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=81650&dateline=141228  2824

. . . . .as well as cooking basic spec and bump maps. . . . . .
    I see this mentioned sometimes by other painters, what exactly is "cooking"??
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

I believe "cooking" is a term for creating the bump maps onto the model, within the modeling program?

Was the layered paint kit ever released?

Quote Originally Posted by falcon409 View Post
    I see this mentioned sometimes by other painters, what exactly is "cooking"??
    Quote Originally Posted by OleBoy View Post
    I believe "cooking" is a term for creating the bump maps onto the model, within the modeling program?
    No.

"Cooking":
    - Spec maps: Taking the diffuse texture, desaturating it, adding a color inverted greyscale alpha channel, exporting it.
    - Bump maps: Taking the diffuse texture, deactivating any decal or paint elements, desaturating its colors, maybe enhancing its contrast or screwing around with color levels, running it through the bump map generator, running it through ImageTool.

All within GIMP.

The procedure is easily adaptable to every fuselage and paint configuration (talking airliners here), but usually doesn't overexcite the audience. It's okay for my taste though and that's what counts.

Jan,

Any updates concerning SF8 and/or MAAM-SIM's work? We all love the things you do. Hope life is treating you well, and you are still enjoying the hobby. I saw some nice screenshots of you with the Milviz F-15 recently -- that is a fun bird.

Chris

Thanks Chris,

Got a fair bit of life's turmoil to digest lately but don't we all sometimes... F-86 update got seriously delayed because of our Maam-Sim FSX close encounter. She's waiting patiently in a corner for her chance but i might be able to atleast finalize the FS9 update and package it up for release within the coming weeks. Better late than never, éh ?...

Yes, i allow myself to take a ride in some of the latest FSX aircraft offerings. The bar is raised over and over again, the quality is astounding and so is the Milviz F-15.( I bet you know about their F-86 in the pipeline. I accidently pulled my ejection seat trigger levers when i first saw these renders! :isadizzy: )

Thanks for your ongoing interest in our Sabre puppy, Chris. Much appreciated !

Quote Originally Posted by zsoltquack View Post
    Available in this repaint?Thank you! Zsolt

See above, Zsolt

Cheers,
    Jan

Javis is there anyway to get the new layer paintkit that was mentioned before in this thread?

No.

"Cooking":
    - Spec maps: Taking the diffuse texture, desaturating it, adding a color inverted greyscale alpha channel, exporting it.
    - Bump maps: Taking the diffuse texture, deactivating any decal or paint elements, desaturating its colors, maybe enhancing its contrast or screwing around with color levels, running it through the bump map generator, running it through ImageTool.

All within GIMP.

The procedure is easily adaptable to every fuselage and paint configuration (talking airliners here), but usually doesn't overexcite the audience. It's okay for my taste though and that's what counts.
    What he said!

I appreciate the clarity in the explanation. The process I am familiar with. Many times I don't know the correct words, so I'm, at times, better off not even typing a response because of it.

Thanks Chris,

Got a fair bit of life's turmoil to digest lately but don't we all sometimes... F-86 update got seriously delayed because of our Maam-Sim FSX close encounter. She's waiting patiently in a corner for her chance but i might be able to atleast finalize the FS9 update and package it up for release within the coming weeks. Better late than never, éh ?...

Yes, i allow myself to take a ride in some of the latest FSX aircraft offerings. The bar is raised over and over again, the quality is astounding and so is the Milviz F-15.( I bet you know about their F-86 in the pipeline. I accidently pulled my ejection seat trigger levers when i first saw these renders! :isadizzy: )

Thanks for your ongoing interest in our Sabre puppy, Chris. Much appreciated !

See above, Zsolt

Cheers,
    Jan
    "See above" More precisely? I do not understand
    http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=81650&dateline=141228  2824

Available in a non-encrypted MDL file?
    The FSRepaint tool does not see

Members who have read this thread: 43