coverting MP3 files to wav files for fs9

Thread: coverting MP3 files to wav files for fs9

coverting MP3 files to wav files for fs9

OK.this is kinda wierd so bear with me,I recorded an WWII air raid siren MP3, off the net, and converted it to a wave file,and tryed to use it in one of my aircraft,but when I push the switch that the sound is assigned to, FS9 crashes.This never happened before.Is there some kind of special wave converter FS9 uses to decode with.Thanks:salute:

Question

Hi PP,
    No, shouldn't make a difference. The standard Fs9 sounds are at different bit rates. Check to make sure the bit rate hasn't been converted at an excessively high setting i.e. 1440Kps etc etc. Most Fs9 sounds are around the 352Kps with some at 705kps. If high re-convert at a lower bit rate, you could try that anyway.

I know obvious, but just check and make sure the spelling of the sound is exactly the same as the original sound title, I've missed that with various files in the past and nearly sent myself mad....:d

Cheers

Shessi

The problem might be in the audio format.

A few weeks ago I set up a voice mail system to email the voice mails when it receives them. The receiving person tried to play one of the audio files from his Google phone but he could not. The reason is .wav files have different audio formats. He had to download a plug in to get the .wav file to work on his phone in the player.

Depending on which type of audio format you used FS9 might croak on it and crash.

We would think that since the MS Media Player can play all formats of .wav files that FS9 should have no problem with them but I don't know if that is the case.

Right click on your .wav file and choose properties.

The default properties of a FS9 .wav file are

Bit Rate 352kbps
    Audio Sample size 16 bit
    Channels 1 (mono)
    Audio Sample rate 22 kHz
    Audio Format PCM

Bit Rate 45kbps
    Audio Sample size 4 bit
    Channels 1 (mono)
    Audio Sample rate 11 kHz
    Audio Format Microsoft ADPCM

For comparison other formats used by a selection of payware and freeware modelers.

Bit Rate 178kbps
    Audio Sample size 4 bit
    Channels 2 (stereo)
    Audio Sample rate 22 kHz
    Audio Format Microsoft ADPCM

Bit Rate 176kbps
    Audio Sample size 8 bit
    Channels 2 (stereo)
    Audio Sample rate 11 kHz
    Audio Format PCM

Bit Rate 705kbps
    Audio Sample size 16 bit
    Channels 2 (stereo)
    Audio Sample rate 22 kHz
    Audio Format PCM

I checked only a small sample of files and they all seem to be close in structure.

What properties is your .wav file showing?

ASUS TUF F17 Gaming Laptop
    17.3" 144Hz Full HD IPS-Type
    CPU 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11800H @ 2.30GHz 2.30 GHz
    Ram CORSAIR Vengeance 32.0 GB DDR4 3200
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6GB

SOH-CM-2014
    The land where dust is manufactured and people are high temp tested!
    I believe Bill Leaming was saying that 32Bit Wav's will indeed crash your sim.

Resave an export into 16Bit and you should be good to go.

I had this happen a few times with sounds.
    Humble Poly bender and warrior of Vertices

Alienware Console i7 3770 CPU 3.40 GHz / 16 Gigs of RAM / GTX660 GC w/2 Gigs of VRAM / Windows 7 64 Ultimate
    Running 3X Samsung 840 SSD HD's, 200 Gig each, 500/500 Read/Write

Bill would it be possible for a gauge to play a 'playlist' or streaming radio flie...like a M3U or PLS file I think, it could simply 'play' the file via your default media player like Winamp. That would be pretty cool especially in your planes that have the music playing switch
    "The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Douglas Adams
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Wow!,thats really strange I tried another wave file with the same attributes,and it worked perfectly.Maybe I am not using the right converter,I am using winamp.I did use winamp to reconvert to a lower kb ,but it obviously didn't work.Any suggestions for a MP3 to wave file converter ,that could be the trick.Thanks for all the help so far everyone.

OK.I got her finally working it was 16 bit mono, not stereo that did the trick.Thanks again:salute:

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomP View Post
    OK.this is kinda wierd so bear with me,I recorded an WWII air raid siren MP3, off the net, and converted it to a wave file,and tryed to use it in one of my aircraft,but when I push the switch that the sound is assigned to, FS9 crashes.This never happened before.Is there some kind of special wave converter FS9 uses to decode with.Thanks:salute:
    For convert wave to Mp3 and MP3 to wave: ===>
    http://ec2000.net/index.php?id=software

top of the page: the MPEG Suite 2001 *UPDATED 31.08.2005*
    small, easy and fast... not tested, but I think I hace the same on my computer. 98, 2000, XP

for modify the format of the wave files, cut, inverse one or two of the two channels, etc...
    also for convert mono to stereo or stereo to mono...
    or for record any sound you can hear from your computer: ex: engine sound...
    CREATIVE WAVE STUDIO, small, easy, fast:
    http://gerard.lyannaz.free.fr/tips/p...wavestudio.htm

click on "télécharger" , on the right, middle...
    tested. I have exactly the same. excellent program 98, 2000, XP

I do not know the compatibility about windows 7...

cheers !

:salute:

SOH-CM-2014
    The land where dust is manufactured and people are high temp tested!
    Quote Originally Posted by pilottj View Post
    Bill would it be possible for a gauge to play a 'playlist' or streaming radio flie...like a M3U or PLS file I think, it could simply 'play' the file via your default media player like Winamp. That would be pretty cool especially in your planes that have the music playing switch

Hey TJ,

You would need a really nice gauge, probably in C++ to get it to work. If anyone would know how to do it, its Bill Leaming.

Making players for FS is a tricky art. One guy long ago made an award winning Blaupunkt radio for FS. It even played your CD and could eject it from the computer. Some very nice programming. All in a 'GAU' file though, so you cannot see how its done. A mystery...

Bill
    Humble Poly bender and warrior of Vertices

Alienware Console i7 3770 CPU 3.40 GHz / 16 Gigs of RAM / GTX660 GC w/2 Gigs of VRAM / Windows 7 64 Ultimate
    Running 3X Samsung 840 SSD HD's, 200 Gig each, 500/500 Read/Write

Quote Originally Posted by Lionheart View Post
    Hey TJ,

You would need a really nice gauge, probably in C++ to get it to work. If anyone would know how to do it, its Bill Leaming.

Making players for FS is a tricky art. One guy long ago made an award winning Blaupunkt radio for FS. It even played your CD and could eject it from the computer. Some very nice programming. All in a 'GAU' file though, so you cannot see how its done. A mystery...

Bill
    lol yeah that kind of programming and work isnt exactly worth it when you can simply just Alt Tab out of FS and start your playlist manually and run it in the background Oh well maybe someday
    "The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Douglas Adams
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Big thanks again for all your help:salute:

Not sure where you got your sound file from but I found some good ones that I use with FSE at this site
    http://www.freesound.org/searchText.php

Membership is free and there is a LARGE library in various formats. Like I said, I use the sounds I find in FSE, amazing the difference a couple of sounds make to an otherwise silent airfield.
    AO1 USN Retired
    USS SARATOGA CV-60/ VP-65/HAL-5/VP-0919/VFA-305/NAWS-0176/HCS-5

IYAOYAS
    Naval Aviation Ordnance
    We Are The Arms Of The Fleet

Thanks Strikehawk. for link,looks very interesting.:salute:

Okay,old thread I know but..............I'd like to add sound to a scenery install.ACG's Duxford Airshow add-on to be exact.I have the wav.file @ 16bits,but just how do I make it work so that once parked and engines off,you can hear the sounds?Do I have to make a "sound" folder and a config file like you would with an aircraft ?If so,I can sort out the "sound" folder bit but what about the config file?How do I make it work,say, so that once the ICO is pulled and the engine sounds end the ambient sounds cut in and vice-versawhen I start up again the ambient sound stops and the "normal" sounds cut in,plus naturally,in an outside view you'd want the ambient sounds of the airshow...Any ideas?,if so,please explain simply and fully for,what is in this area of flightsim,a complete dimbo.Miggs