Experiments in Lighting

Thread: Experiments in Lighting

Experiments in Lighting

Here's one of those great examples where we are still learning what can be done with FSX...
    After reading about some lighting discoveries made by Bill Leaming as applied to scenery I had to try the method in a VC setting. Needless to say it has huge possibilities

This pic is a bit dark, but it shows what can be done. I still have work to do. The altimeter is being lit by a post light off to the left. There is no lightmap in use on any of the altimeter parts!

I have been hoping someone would come along and solve some of the miserable night instrument lighting issues in FSX...

some developers have done a masterful job on exploiting FSX's capabilities in this area - while others...just don't seem to think about their models being flown after dark

I would love to have either a new utility I could use to make improvements with - or a few quick edits...

or even see this become more of an active topic on the forums so that certain developers might discover the urge to learn a useful trick or two
    enter..the Sandman

visit Heywood Planes - YouTube

Cool stuff, Rob!

Bill L's use of this technique in sceneries is just one of its many useful applications...

Is there more technical info on this technique online somewhere? I'm intrigued.

NoNewMessages
    Bill, Bill had a thread at FS Developer about Leaming Field that he's using as a test bed for some of this stuff. Main forum IIRC, might be a page or two back.

Try this: http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19286

Hope he gets to finish this project.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by spotlope View Post
    Is there more technical info on this technique online somewhere? I'm intrigued.
    http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/showpost.php?p=126606&postcount=6

Bill Leaming is a freakin GENIUS....

FSX night lighting may yet be opened up and realized to its full potential
    enter..the Sandman

visit Heywood Planes - YouTube

Pearl Harbor Project developer
    Nice!
    crashAZ- Virtual Navy
    [SIGPIC]http://www.sim-outhouse.net/images/rtwr2013/rtwr2013_sm.png[/SIGPIC]

Thanks guys!

I'm still messing around with it. There are places where it is a huge plus, but I also see some limitations, at least for now. I'll keep you posted :salute:

Better cockpit lighting would sure benefit some of the aircraft in FSX. Some are ok and usually the payware stuff is good, but others... well... turning on a flood light is not really the answer.
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Members who have read this thread: 0