Depth of Field question

Thread: Depth of Field question

Blog Entries

Depth of Field question

In going through my 1000 or so shots of my vacation, I noticed that I took a lot of flowers. In some of the shots the flower I focused on is fine but ones a few inches or feet away are out of focus. This made the shot look bad to me, unless I crop everything else out.

In my old SLR cameras I could check the depth of field before shooting. the Nikon D-40 doesn't have this feature. Is there anyway I can check the DoF in the D-40? Or do I have to either memorize the DoF of each F stop OR :d purchase a D-90 body which does allow this?
    John

My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II

AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz
    32 GB DDR5 RAM
    3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
    RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

You've pretty much got to get used to which aperture renders how much in focus. I'd suggest you go out and find a flower or a small prairie or something with a lot of detail and take a shot at each aperture setting. That should help you get used to the DOF. Shooting on Av mode will get you accustomed to DOF in no time.

To get both a flower and the background in focus you're going to need to be shooting at at least f/11-f/16. You will then most likely need a tripod. It also runs the risk of making everything blurry from wind as your shutter speed will be quite slow to compensate for the small aperture (large f/ number).

I'm not sure if the D40 has a depth of field preview button. I know the XSi does, but I rarely use it. I think it is best to learn how aperture values affect your photo, rather than to rely on a button on your camera to check it for you.

jmig,
    You'll just have to go back to shooting film with your old SLRs....

In all seriousness though, I've seen in another forum that in Bryan Peterson's "Understanding Exposure" book he states a "poor man's" solution to a DOF preview button..

"while looking through the viewfinder at your target shot, if you turn the lens one quarter of a turn (as if removing it from the body), this will allow you to see the actual depth-of-field that the chosen aperture will render. This will allow you to make adjustments until you have the DOF you want – just as a DOF preview button would do. "

I've never tried this though.....The below website has helped me out a bit but I'm the first to admit that I'm no DOF expert......http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tut...h-of-field.htm

And finally, if all else fails, get a D300s or D90 :d

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwikat View Post
    I think it is best to learn how aperture values affect your photo, rather than to rely on a button on your camera to check it for you.
    Then why would so many manufacturers put the button on :ques: Especially on their professional cameras :ques: And then, some folks actually want the button

Quote Originally Posted by Panther_99FS View Post
    Then why would so many manufacturers put the button on :ques: Especially on their professional cameras :ques: And then, some folks actually want the button
    Probably the same reason some professional cameras include a "green box" mode...

The 1D Mark IV comes to mind...

Sony users are the true professionals ...unless you buy an A700, A850 or A900, you won't have a DoF preview button. That said, the excellent live view on the lower-end models certainly makes up for that!

John, I suggest getting accustomed to aperture values. William's right, the only thing he forgot is that you're using a Nikon, which doesn't have an Av-mode but an A-mode .

Not a DoF expert either...understand the basics and know that the DoF becomes smaller upon focusing closer, but that's about it...hyperfocal distance, circle of confusion ? Don't ask me....

Don't think most people, even professionals, actually care about things like this. If they can get it right in the picture, it's ok.
    Please let me know about spelling and grammatical errors in my English, thank you!
    Aeropedia.be photographer
    Flightlevel.be photographer, editor and forum administrator
    So drink to the Black Cat PBY,
    Damnedest old plane in all God's sky,
    BB-gun for'd and a slingshot aft,
    Hundred twenty knots when in a forced draft.

Sony DSLR-A350 + 18-70mm F3.5-5.6 + 55-200mm F4-5.6 + 70-400G F4-5.6 SSM (all lenses made by Sony). All in a Lowepro CompuTrekker AW backpack.
    My Flickr photostream.

Quote Originally Posted by JorisVandenBerghe View Post
    Sony users are the true professionals ...unless you buy an A700, A850 or A900, you won't have a DoF preview button. .
    Which are arguably Sony's "Professional" grade cameras

Voilą...the users of the lowest-end models are the best photographers, they don't need a DoF-preview button, contrary to those high-end geeks ...:
    Please let me know about spelling and grammatical errors in my English, thank you!

Sony DSLR-A350 + 18-70mm F3.5-5.6 + 55-200mm F4-5.6 + 70-400G F4-5.6 SSM (all lenses made by Sony). All in a Lowepro CompuTrekker AW backpack.
    My Flickr photostream.

Quote Originally Posted by jmig View Post
    Is there anyway I can check the DoF in the D-40? Or do I have to either memorize the DoF of each F stop OR :d purchase a D-90 body which does allow this?
    If you've got a smart phone take a look in the app store, there's several caluclators available for the iPhone/iPod touch for just a few $'s.

I'm sure the other phones Droid etc. will have their own versions.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by will_b View Post
    If you've got a smart phone take a look in the app store, there's several caluclators available for the iPhone/iPod touch for just a few $'s.

I'm sure the other phones Droid etc. will have their own versions.
    Thanks Will! I am a CrackBerry. I was reading through the manual/guide I purchased from Thom Hogan when I bought the D-40. It has an Excel spreadsheet on DoF for all the lenses.

I need to study it and do what Kat suggested. Take a bunch of shots at different F stops and compare the results.
    John

My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II

AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz
    32 GB DDR5 RAM
    3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
    RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

Interesting...I didn't realize that the DoF preview wasn't standard equipment on many DSLRs until I read this post. (I tend to stick in my little Pentax world... )

It's a standard on all the Pentax DSLRs...and if you're hooked on old glass like I am, it's a real quick way to meter old "non-A" (the Pentax guys will know what a non-A is) or M42 screw-mount lenses.
    I also like to shoot close-up shots with a lot of bokeh so it's something I fiddle with quite a bit.

It's also a lazy-man's way of not having to remember the old math rules needed to calculate DoF.
    Once you get used to a particular lens (and after many shots at different apertures like Kiwi suggests) you'll get to know better what f-stop to grab for the particular shot you're taking. The nice thing about digital...and it's also a stinker for making you lazy...is if you've got a stationary subject, you can always "chimp" the shot and reshoot with different settings if it didn't turn out the way you wanted it. :d

BTW, if you're looking for just general "everything in focus" type of shots outdoors, the good ole "sunny 16" rule still applies to digital just like film. Sunny? f/16 A bit of light overcast? Open up a stop to f/11. More overcast? Open up another stop.

Quote Originally Posted by Moparmike View Post
    BTW, if you're looking for just general "everything in focus" type of shots outdoors, the good ole "sunny 16" rule still applies to digital just like film. Sunny? f/16 A bit of light overcast? Open up a stop to f/11. More overcast? Open up another stop.
    I find sunny 16 to be a bit odd considering most lenses are affected by diffraction starting at f/11. You lose sharpness fast after f/11...

f/8 is my go-to aperture outdoors. Though I usually shoot my 300mm at f/5.6 or 6.3.

Kiwi is right...and the smaller the sensor (actually the higher the pixel-density), the faster diffraction will influence the resolution of the image. Olympus and Panasonic cameras for instance, start to show the effects of diffraction from f/8, as their sensor is twice as small as a full-frame/35mm camera. Nikon and Sony sensors (let's just say Sony sensors, they are the same anyway, except for the D700/D3/D3S ...) are 1.5 times smaller, Canon's sensors are fractionally smaller with a 1.6 crop factor (actually I believe it's something like 1.52/54 vs 1.58/57).

That said, a lot of depends on the lens and its sharpness. This is an example I always give when talking about diffraction: a Spit, landing at Duxford. The sun had already set quite a bit (late afternoon), so there was a lot of light at the angle I was pointing it to the Spitfire...and at 1/250, you don't need that much light - the ISO was set to 200. At 280mm (more to the end of the range, since it's a 70-400G SSM I have used there) and f/14, the image was perfectly sharp...with problems whatsoever.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/vdbj/41...57622766151521

So it's not just about the camera/sensor, but a lot of depends on the optical properties of the lens you use.

My Flickr photostream.

So it's not just about the camera/sensor, but a lot of depends on the optical properties of the lens you use.

I second that. It's good to know the MTF curve of your lens, and even better when the camera knows it too (my trusty Pentax has a special MTF operation mode).

Cheers,
    Mark

That said, a lot of depends on the lens and its sharpness. This is an example I always give when talking about diffraction: a Spit, landing at Duxford. The sun had already set quite a bit (late afternoon), so there was a lot of light at the angle I was pointing it to the Spitfire...and at 1/250, you don't need that much light - the ISO was set to 200. At 280mm (more to the end of the range, since it's a 70-400G SSM I have used there) and f/14, the image was perfectly sharp...with problems whatsoever.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/vdbj/41...57622766151521

I'll agree that as the sensor shrinks below that 135mm "standard" that a lot of the old rules are based around then things will differ a bit. I've not noticed that it's enough to deviate from...at least shooting with a 6.1MP APS-C sensor.

I do agree with Joris that sharpness is still more a factor of the quality of the glass your using in front of the sensor more than the sensor itself.

Members who have read this thread: 0