Former SciFi Channel Addict; Saved!

Thread: Former SciFi Channel Addict; Saved!

SOH-CM-2014
    The land where dust is manufactured and people are high temp tested!

Former SciFi Channel Addict; Saved!

Yes... You read that right. I was a SciFi Channel addict.

Hooked big time!

However, when they started getting rid of their 'real' science fiction shows and movies, and started bringing in the goofy stuff (well, in my book, its goofy), things like 'scary rock monster' and 'giant killer aligator', and the Stargate Universe left for 6+ months on brake, I was able, finally, to break away from that channel.

Now, when I channel surf, the first channel is not SciFi.. Now when I surf, I am free from 'thinking about whats on' in there. So many times, I went there and found the 'killer rock monster' going at it, again and again and again...

Freedom. Sweeeeet freedom... :d

I can order episodes of SGU from iTunes, as well as other SciFi shows and movies that are based on actual science fiction..

Love it!

Bill
    Humble Poly bender and warrior of Vertices

Alienware Console i7 3770 CPU 3.40 GHz / 16 Gigs of RAM / GTX660 GC w/2 Gigs of VRAM / Windows 7 64 Ultimate
    Running 3X Samsung 840 SSD HD's, 200 Gig each, 500/500 Read/Write

All well and good Bill... but yer missin Caprica. Now that's some freaky SiFi.
    Gary -

Goundcrew Member - Warbirds of Delaware KILG - Member 7G Club
    Member of the War Eagles Air Museum Santa Teresa, NM
    KILG Tour Coordinator and Member of Collings Foundation Stowe, Mass
    Mid Atlantic Air Museum Reading, PA.

thedude247
    I tell ya, I've never had the Sci-Fi Channel (oh I'm sorry, SyFy, whatever that crap is) I have always had to rely on the Canadian counterpart station (Space) to bring me up to speed on my favorite shows. That was a while ago when Stargate SG-1 was there main show and Battlestar Galactica was just starting up, god I miss those shows. \

Now a days though, Space has finally smartened up and now runs shows like SGU and Caprica on the same date as SyFy. It's good for us who don't have that channel here in Canada, I guess it's a good thing too, I wouldn't want all those silly Sci-Fi movies that there so content at playing all the time. Sweet Merciful Crap, those SyFy Original movies look like unwanted horse-$%$# sometimes, I would hope that I'm not the only one that sees it!!!!!!

Anyway, I am a vigilant viewer of the latest chapter of the Stargate saga SGU as well as Caprica, they've got to be my favorite shows in the sci-fi genre. And I can't seem to imagine why some people don't like them seemly because there not the same as there predecessor's, I know one thing, complaining isn't gonna help much. Just take them as they are.

That's my Rant for the day.:salute:

I wish they would run the Mystery Science Fiction Theater again. That was funny.
    MB: GIGABYTE GA-X299 UD4 PRO ATX
    CPU: Intel(R) Core™ Processor i9-10900X Ten-Core 3.7GHz
    MEM: 64GB (8GBx8) DDR4/3000MHz Quad Channel
    GPU: RTX 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6
    HP Reverb G2

SOH-CM-2014
    PRB
    I wish they would run the Mystery Science Fiction Theater again. That was funny.

That was hilarious. Great for late night or early morning TV.

I know one thing, complaining isn't gonna help much. Just take them as they are.

That's my Rant for the day.

TheDude247

Yeah... I know.. I hate to hear people complain myself, and hear I am bickering.. arrgh. I miss the old SciFi channel. It was awesome. It seems like it died and the new layout is 'scrap'. I guess Im wounded and whining like a 'leeetle gurlie mahn', lol..

My idea of proper SciFi:
    * SGU
    * SG1
    * ST
    * ST TNG
    * Babylon 5
    * UFO, the series (from England; 1970's)
    * Galactica; new
    * Galactica; old

Movies;
    * Stargate
    * All ST movies
    * Any of the space related movies, especially modern ones.. There are tons.. And why not a great 'sci fi space movie 'night' once a week? Like Sunday Space Movie Night? just an idea...
    * 2001 a Space Odyssee
    * 2010, the Odyssee Continues
    etc...

Also, on Mondays, they have 'Ani-Monday' night at 11PM to 1AM roughly. Man, why not make that an entire night, from 7PM to 12Midnight? There are tons of great Animae movies and shows out, not just 2, lol... Start with a movie, then all the old episodes, like Robotech (classic) and all.. Maybe even subtitled verions of Animae that havent been brought over yet from Japan, China, and Korea...

Just my two cents.. from a SciFi junkie...

I cheated last night. I was hoping I might find some SciFi on last night on the SyFy channel, and... and... I went there... arrgh... I forget what was on.. Definately not space or science related. oops.. whining again.

Alienware Console i7 3770 CPU 3.40 GHz / 16 Gigs of RAM / GTX660 GC w/2 Gigs of VRAM / Windows 7 64 Ultimate

I grew up reading all the science fiction I could lay my hands on back in the forties. And I, too, am enjoying Caprica immensely. There is another one I watch on BBC America called Survivors. It's an armageddon themed program and nothing to do with the survivor reality crap that is on TV now. I look upon the major networks as nothing more than electronic lemmings following the pack. And wouldn't a good western series be welcome? Used to be that Fox was innovative. Not so much now.

thedude247
    Quote Originally Posted by Lionheart View Post
    That was hilarious. Great for late night or early morning TV.

Yeah... I know.. I hate to hear people complain myself, and hear I am bickering.. arrgh. I miss the old SciFi channel. It was awesome. It seems like it died and the new layout is 'scrap'. I guess Im wounded and whining like a 'leeetle gurlie mahn', lol..

My idea of proper SciFi:
    * SGU
    * SG1
    * ST
    * ST TNG
    * Babylon 5
    * UFO, the series (from England; 1970's)
    * Galactica; new
    * Galactica; old

Movies;
    * Stargate
    * All ST movies
    * Any of the space related movies, especially modern ones.. There are tons.. And why not a great 'sci fi space movie 'night' once a week? Like Sunday Space Movie Night? just an idea...
    * 2001 a Space Odyssee
    * 2010, the Odyssee Continues
    etc...

Just my two cents.. from a SciFi junkie...
    That's a fine list 'Lionheart', I used to watch most of those shows myself. Of course my list is a little different;
    *SG-1
    *Firefly
    *Space Above and Beyond
    *BSG (new of course)
    *ST Original Series
    *Farscape
    *Sliders
    *The Outer Limits
    *SeaQuest DSV

I'll admit that I never got into Babylon 5 at all, didn't really like much of the newer Star Trek series' much nor did I watch the X-Files. Sad for me maybe. I'll always feel that SG-1 could have gone on another 5 or so years, and Firefly really should have been given more of a chance to prove itself. That's the down side to FOX, they never let anything last anymore.

Just some more fuel for the fire. :salute:

Quote Originally Posted by thedude247 View Post
    I know one thing, complaining isn't gonna help much. Just take them as they are.
    in my mind, that is precisely the problem. people don't demand better content so they don't get it.

Hey Bill, I don't watch SyFy like it did SiFi. Yer right, seems there's more craploa on now, and that's just plain wrong IMO.
    Gary -

Goundcrew Member - Warbirds of Delaware KILG - Member 7G Club
    Member of the War Eagles Air Museum Santa Teresa, NM
    KILG Tour Coordinator and Member of Collings Foundation Stowe, Mass
    Mid Atlantic Air Museum Reading, PA.

Charter Member 2010
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PRB View Post

Born from a guy born and raised in good old Green Bay!

Charter Member 2010
    Blog Entries
    I'm a BIG 1950's era sci-fi fan. You never see any of the classic stuff on there. They could try one night a week.
    Just don't run it right after or before MST3K!

SOH-CM-2014
    Quote Originally Posted by thedude247 View Post
    That's a fine list 'Lionheart', I used to watch most of those shows myself. Of course my list is a little different;
    *SG-1
    *Firefly
    *Space Above and Beyond
    *BSG (new of course)
    *ST Original Series
    *Farscape
    *Sliders
    *The Outer Limits
    *SeaQuest DSV

I'll admit that I never got into Babylon 5 at all, didn't really like much of the newer Star Trek series' much nor did I watch the X-Files. Sad for me maybe. I'll always feel that SG-1 could have gone on another 5 or so years, and Firefly really should have been given more of a chance to prove itself. That's the down side to FOX, they never let anything last anymore.

Just some more fuel for the fire. :salute:
    Man.. I cant believe I have forgotten about those shows... arrgh.. SeaQuest, Sliders, Space Above and Beyond... Awesome sets of series....

Bill

MCDesigns
    I had forgot about Sliders till last week when I discovered it on Hulu.com. I tried getting into Caprica (on Hulu also), but couldn't.

thedude247
    I must say, my favorite classic Sci-Fi movie has to be Forbidden Planet. It was ahead of its time in 1956, and till this day it's just an incredible visual feet.