Laptop

Thread: Laptop

Laptop

I was thinking about getting a laptop soon. Can you all give me an opinion on the one in the link. I will want it for some gaming and movies. I may be going to work in Afghanistan in the near future so this will be my entertainment center while there. Thanks.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...:WNAFP:US:1123

Retired SOH Administrator
    Looks good to me, but I am funny about spending that kind of money on Ebay...hope it works for you ,Mike
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Asus Rampage Extreme Motherboard /EVGA AR GeForce GTX 295 1792MB 896 Bit GDDR3 /Corsair 8gig XMS DDR3/Intel Core 2 Extreme QX 9770 Yorkfield OCed 4.2 LGA 775/136W Quad Core / Water Cooled/ 2 WD Raptor 150gig 10,000 rpm Drives in Raid O Mode/WD Raptor 150gig internal back up/400 gig External WD back up Drive/Thermaltake 1200 Watt PS/Sony Dual Layer DVD RD/RW/Plextor DVD/RW/ Thermaltake Kandalf Tower/ Sound Blasters X-FI Platinum / X52 Pro

I doubt I will buy it on E-Bay. I was there for something else and was just looking to see what was out there.

Charter Member 2015
    Looks good to me too....only thing I'd change would be the HDD's.....I'd prefer a 7200rpm version if possible.Order a spare battery or 3 if you won't have access to main power as battery life will be poor as it's basically a desktop replacement.
    I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things — Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

I read a few reviews on this puter over at Newegg. Seems the gloss finish is a fingerprint magnet. Probably not the best thing for where I will be using it. The price for it on E-Bay was much better than Newegg also. I have bought a few things on E-bay over the years but I don't know if I would be comfortable getting something like a laptop. I am in no hurry at the moment so I am going to keep looking. Thanks for the advice.

KD: I didn't even look at the HDD specs. Thanks for the heads up. :ernae:

Last summer I picked up a 'refurbished' Gateway laptop online at Tiger Direct Canada (I was extremely leery at first especially when combining the terms 'refurbished' and 'laptop') but it's turned out to be one of the best deals I have ever had in over three years of buying computer parts from them.

It was immaculate and you could not tell it from a brand new one. It even came with Vista 64 pre-installed and it just needed activating on the initial start-up.

I have also purchased an 'all-in-one' refurbished printer from them and likewise it was immaculate too (a set of spare ink carts cost more than the printer!)

I would have no qualms about recommending refurbished products from Tiger Direct at all and the cost savings can be simply stunning compared to the regular list prices plus you get a warranty on the products which you probably would not get from Ebay.
    Larry

I think this one is about as good as the one you are looking at. It is a gaming laptop by ASUS. The price is much better than the one you are looking at.

I am not sure why it has the 5400 rpm hard drive but it does. If I was to buy one and I am going to soon. I will swap out the hard drive for one faster and larger one.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Asus+-+L...&skuId=9556125
    ASUS TUF F17 Gaming Laptop
    17.3" 144Hz Full HD IPS-Type
    CPU 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11800H @ 2.30GHz 2.30 GHz
    Ram CORSAIR Vengeance 32.0 GB DDR4 3200
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6GB