A couple of close up pictures

Thread: A couple of close up pictures

A couple of close up pictures

Chapel Hill, NC and the Texas Hill Country

tripod or hand-held ??
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....

It's about learning

to dance in the rain.

LD~ Hand-Held I do not own a tripod...yet!

I'm just starting to get immersed in this big world of photography and I love it!

Blog Entries
    Nice pictures C9G. What is the white fluffy stuff in the first picture?

I love the colors in the second picture. Very nice.
    John

My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II

AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz
    32 GB DDR5 RAM
    3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
    RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

Happiness Consultant
    Nice job Kiddo ... you appear to be getting a grip on it ...

As far as tripes go, to get started you don't need a big expensive one. The one I got for my camera(s) was about 40 dollars and it works wonders sometimes.

Its totally adjustable in every way.

Attachment 26008
    "Trust no man living with power to endanger the public liberty!" John Adams 1772

Snuffy / Ted

Hey All,

Nice pictures!

I had a bit of time so I went ahead and processed them a bit - just white point, black point, gamma a bit of contrast maybe a small sharpen on the second. No colors or levels though. Couldn't do anything with all the blown white pixels on the first one that I suspect were just snow.

Just some sunday afternoon fun.

-Ed-
    My heroes have always been cowboys and they all carried guns-
    and they all rode horses-that is all but one.
    When he went to the rescue he flew a Cessna plane.
    His ranch was called the "Flying Crown" and "Sky King" was his name. -Jim Dilly-

The rich man writes the book of laws that the poor man must defend, but the highest laws are written on the hearts of honest men. - Ricky Skaggs-

Retired SOH Administrator
    Cool pictures C9G...

I have to start taking pictures myself....

I have to learn this modern technology....

Chacha

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

C9G, those look great! Macro photography is so much fun. In fact I think it is my favorite type of photography because you see so many things you don't normally see. It pains me that I had the money for the new 100mm L IS macro but didn't get it. However the 300 I got takes excellent closeup shots too.

I would have also done a couple things different in the post-processing. So much of that is personal preference though.

Keep at it! Tomorrow and Tuesday I am going to take at least 3 or 400 photos between the two days.

Quote Originally Posted by Snuffy View Post
    As far as tripes go, to get started you don't need a big expensive one.
    Sorry, I wouldn't bet my 1300 dollar L lens on a 40 dollar tripod. Once you get more involved in photography, a big expensive tripod is an excellent tool that you can use for macro shots, long exposures, and to keep your gear safe. The Manfrotto quick release plates are designed very well and are extremely easy to use. The quick release plate on my cheap Velbon works like crap. You get what you pay for!

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwikat View Post
    I would have also done a couple things different in the post-processing. So much of that is personal preference though.
    Cloud9Gal is learning the basics.....framing, etc...& isn't into post-processing at the moment...

SOH-CM-2024
    Those are magnificant C9G. You're going to need a tripod though. You had enough lighting fopr a hand-held shot in those two, may not be so lucky on other close-ups. Tripods are reasonably cheap, but don't get the real cheap ones, go for something in the $50.00 and up. they are much more sturdy and easier to manipulate.

When using a tripod, I always use my self-timer, either the 2-sec. or 12-sec. This reduces shutter mirror shock and hand shake when pressing the shot button.

Caz

Quote Originally Posted by Panther_99FS View Post
    Cloud9Gal is learning the basics.....framing, etc...& isn't into post-processing at the moment...

Thanks P.! You are absolutely correct! Right now, I'm focusing on getting comfortable with my camera. I'm reading everything I can on the basics. I'm starting to "recognize" photo ops a bit more. In my every day functions, I catch myself thinking: "Woooo that would make a great shot, etc."

Glenn aka Luckydog, posted a nice link the other day, and I have been reading up on different tips & suggestions. I am far from being into the whole post-processing stage. I'm not so much worried about that right now.

I have also been learning from the different posts in this forum. A big thank you to all of you for sharing your knowledge and passion of photography. Keep it up!

Quote Originally Posted by Cloud9Gal View Post

Thanks P.! You are absolutely correct! Right now, I'm focusing on getting comfortable with my camera. I'm reading everything I can on the basics. I'm starting to "recognize" photo ops a bit more. In my every day functions, I catch myself thinking: "Woooo that would make a great shot, etc."
    Yes...
    Isn't it funny how once you start shooting, you begin to see the whole world in a different light... (i.e. "frame") :mixedsmi:

yeah when i started photography i had a Fuji S5000 I used, always tried to frame the shots, got some reasonable shots back in my home country on holiday... just digging up a few framed ones....

these were taken back in 2006, as i say on my S5000 which was a good introduction before i got my A100

as for now.... and my A100 antics...

back to C9G's images, once you've learnt what you want post-processing is an entirely different ballgame. back to tripods... i don't use one most of the time, yet i should really considering my A100 is paired to bigma, more stabilisation. if you've not got an expensive lens and kit then a cheaper tripod will suffice, but once you get a good lens and kit you should upgrade your tripod as well, start small build u as you improve is my tip, that and practice...practice...practice! Great shots anyhoo C9G

Smoothie~ I love the third one the most! The relief in the background is so beautiful! The colors are soft, yet alive. Nicely done! Where was that taken, if I may ask?

Great close-ups, C9G. Really nice work.

As for Matt's pictures, I love that first picture, the trees nearby add depth...and the close-up on the Hawk...a very bright day, it seems. Must have been pretty hot in that thing...I wonder if it is air conditioned :mixedsmi: ?
    Please let me know about spelling and grammatical errors in my English, thank you!
    Aeropedia.be photographer
    Flightlevel.be photographer, editor and forum administrator
    So drink to the Black Cat PBY,
    Damnedest old plane in all God's sky,
    BB-gun for'd and a slingshot aft,
    Hundred twenty knots when in a forced draft.

Sony DSLR-A350 + 18-70mm F3.5-5.6 + 55-200mm F4-5.6 + 70-400G F4-5.6 SSM (all lenses made by Sony). All in a Lowepro CompuTrekker AW backpack.
    My Flickr photostream.

Great close-ups, C9G. Really nice work.

As for Matt's pictures, I love that first picture, the trees nearby add depth...and the close-up on the Hawk...a very bright day, it seems. Must have been pretty hot in that thing...I wonder if it is air conditioned :mixedsmi: ?
    Please let me know about spelling and grammatical errors in my English, thank you!

Sony DSLR-A350 + 18-70mm F3.5-5.6 + 55-200mm F4-5.6 + 70-400G F4-5.6 SSM (all lenses made by Sony). All in a Lowepro CompuTrekker AW backpack.
    My Flickr photostream.

C9G the sunset image was taken from my place of Birth, Kos, in Greece, there i am stood on the Beach in Tigaki Looking over towards Kalymnos.

the first photo for those that are interested was Kos Town, the ruins being those of the old town in ancient times... i'm gonna spoil you once more... couple more A100 shots

Matt, I must admit, I am deeply impressed...that's one hell of a picture of the Phantom . You seem to know your camera and lens well ...f/8, where the Bigma is the sharpest...I'm looking forward to seeing more of your photos!

My Flickr photostream.

Retired SOH Administrator
    Wowie....

Awesome shots there Smoothie!

Thanks for sharing, man...

I wish I could go out and start shooting......

Chacha

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Nice compositions S.