OT: Metaphorical use of shoes in English adages?

Thread: OT: Metaphorical use of shoes in English adages?

OT: Metaphorical use of shoes in English adages?

Hi

This is very much off topic. But you gentlemen have the English vocabulary in your powers, so I thought that this is the place

What is it with the metaphorical use of shoes in English adages? I do see these adages on a regular basis in the books I read:

Living on a shoe string (I take that as someone living on a minimum of supplies?)

At the drop of a shoe (Something that happens fast/all of sudden/abruptly?)

Waiting for the shoe to drop (Something like waiting for the s*** to hit the fan?)

For what reasons is the shoe used that 'often'? Do any of you know the stories behind?

Kind Regards

Jesper
    To err is human; to forgive, divine [Alexander Pope]

'Gentlemen' ? Flattery will get you anywhere, Jesper.

Always been fascinated by language, particularly our own ( we are blessed with the richest language in the world, but don't tell the French)

I find some of your examples a bit odd - 'at the drop of a shoe' -surely it is normally 'hat' ??? And 'waiting for the shoe to drop' - I think I wait for a penny to drop. (Most Scotsmen would)

English has absorbed words and phrases from all human activities - don't think shoes are any more special than any other clothing....

I wouldn't bet on it anyway - you may lose your shoe...

Charter Member 09
    How about the shoe is on the wrong foot?
    Would you like to ride in my big green tractor?.

Quote Originally Posted by lefty View Post
    'Gentlemen' ? Flattery will get you anywhere, Jesper .
    . . . . .
    I know, I'm married

Nah, coming here - I imagine - is like entering a club with peace, quiet and courteous speech.

I like the English language - and languages in general - very much too.

I even experiment a little with French when on our camping trips to southern France. The French people I have met are happy to help an Absolute Beginner that batter their beautiful language almost to beyond recognition. No high-hatted attitudes were we come to visit. (Or maybe they just want to get me kicked out so they don't have to listen to me any more Who knows?

To re-enter the subject, I think I read the 'shoe-thing' in books by American authors. Could the hat had become a shoe during the journey across the pond?
    To err is human; to forgive, divine [Alexander Pope]

Next time I boot up my computer you can pump me for information,as, being retired, I am now a loafer, you see.
    That's if I'm not getting wellied (one for the Brits) at my local, with all those other heels and their thick Scottish brogues. But I can only afford so much, being on my uppers, with all those laced drinks. (At least I get a kick out of them).
    I'll come back then and continue to clog the forum up with waffle like this !
    yours insole,
    the Winklepicker.

Jesper you may want to have a look through this site....

http://www.worldwidewords.org/index.htm

It's a bit difficult to find things at times but searching through the 'Turns of Phrase' or 'General Indexes' sections may turn up some answers. I did find answers to one of your questions on there.

Waiting for the shoe to drop
    http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-wai1.htm
    Larry

Members who have read this thread: 0