In cloud turbulence

Thread: In cloud turbulence

In cloud turbulence

Okay guys in know that flying thro' some types of cloud formations creates turbulence which messes with the flight characteristics of aircraft. Now I'm not any sort of real world pilot but I suspect some of you are, so please tell me if the sort of effect produced by CFS3 were the aircraft goes spinning out of control when flying thro' clouds is realistic.

Personally I find it ridiculously over played in the sim and wondered if there is any way to turn the in cloud turbulence effect down or turn it off.

R ramjet
    go to your cfs3config in overides you tick the box that says "disable in cloud effect"

Angry In cloud turbulence effect

Hi R ramjet. Thanks for replying to my post. Actually I already tried this and reduced the flight model to 'easy' but it doesn't seem to make a great deal of difference!

Your quite right Brainless, changing the config. makes little or no difference. Anybody have any suggestions?:isadizzy:

Bumping up an ancient thread - but does anyone know anything about in-cloud turbulence and what triggers it?

All of the weather related parameters one can customize, other than wind speed, just impact where the clouds are and how they look, and don't directly impact your ability to fly.

As far as I've been able to figure out turbulence is hard coded, but I do think it's triggered by being deep inside a dense cloud just as when the game is called to display the in cloud effect. From the comments above, turning off the visual in cloud fog effect evidently does not turn off the turbulence trigger. That's something I've never experimented with.

As far as real world experience with in cloud turbulence, the lighter your aircraft's wing loading (weight/lift), the more you have to worry about. Different cloud types represent different levels of turbulence, with higher levels of internal convection (uplift / downdrafts) being what you have to look out for in cumulus and cumulonimbus.
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

I would think that setting the flight model to 'easy' would make it worse! Even with normal flying in (non stock) aircraft, I find it hard to control with 'easy'!

Cato said "Carthaginem esse delendam"
    I say "Carthago iam diu deleta,sed enim Bellum Alium adhuc aedificandum est"

I did go back and experiment a little, and yes, it does seem that you get occasional turbulence effects even when the in cloud fog is disabled. It seemed to happen repeatably in the same places when I flew, as best I could, the same path through the clouds. I wonder if the in cloud fog / turbulence trigger is tied to particular cloud effect texture names when you pass through them?
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

but does anyone know anything about in-cloud turbulence and what triggers it?
    scary to think what you would do with that info

All I did was ask an innocent little question…yeah, you know me too well Steve!

For immediate purposes though, I’m just trying to figure out how to reduce it, as it is way overdone for most cloud types. While there is likely going to be some, CFS3 seems to go straight to severe, which isn’t realistic either.

But once in possession of a memory address….

Kurier auf Stube...pauke! NachtPiloten's Avatar

plane effect

I think this was discussed a while ago, but the game does not model turbulence caused by a plane and what effect that has on your plane when you enter its windstream. Is that recollection correct?

No, it isn't modeled...yet. on my list.

No, it isn't modeled...yet. on my list.
    that would be an immersive effect

It's one of those things that I don't think is modeled in any sim, but you often hear first hand accounts mention it. And it is quite significant. I fly a plane of similar weight to the average WWII fighter, but half the horsepower and have had the spiraling slip stream from a propeller of an identical aircraft nearly overwhelm my aileron authority from half a mile back, and I've been vectored across the wake of an Airbus too closely and had the controls ripped from my hands and my feet kicked off the rudder pedals. So I know it should be much more challenging than it is currently to slide in behind a bomber formation and let them have it from close range.