Warbirdsim Mustangs For FSX! - Page 7
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Warbirdsim Mustangs For FSX!

Thank You Bomber, the Mustang is a wonderful aircraft and flight dynamics feels very good :ernae:. But I think perhaps the effects of the rudder are a little weak?? She is difficult to sideglide in crosswind landings.
    Ernie

Of course it is a wonderful looking package, as it is in FS9. I still fire up FS9 to punch holes in the sky with the P-51B and C from time to time. I was looking forward to the release of the FSX version, but am a little surprised to see no reduction in price for the owners of the FS9 version. OK, so this is nothing new (PMDG MD-11)...
    I'll be giving this a miss in FSX. There are a couple of great warbirds in FSX now, and I don't really need the Mustang so badly as to shell out €50+ for it, when I could pick up the Catalina by Aerosoft almost twice for the same cash...
    I think the policy of charging for repaints is one of the biggest marketing mistakes of all time in the FS world, particularly if you attempt to restrict some of the most talented repainters out there by not supplying a kit or attempting to force them per EULA or similar not to upload any repaints they make, with a paint kit they create themselves... interesting copyright issue there...

I would be interested to know from someone with legal experience as to whether this restriction of self-made artwork with a self-made paint kit is actually within the law...

It is almost like a photographer banning others from taking any photo of a P-51 from a specific angle, "because I have already taken the picture"...

Andrew
    Per Ardua ad Astra

Interesting point about the (lack of) a paintkit and selling repaints. Icarus did that with his Gladiator - granted that was at the other end of the market but it still seemed .... mean? Cheeky? I'm not not sure, but I expect we'll see more of it as devs struggle to cope with rising costs and falling revenues by squeezing every last penny out of each release. I'm sure the ones that do this weigh up what they might gain in $£ against the inevitable loss of goodwill and possibly some sales.

Do we know for sure that there's not doing to be a paintkit for the FSX WBS Mustang? There was talk of selling repaints for the FS9 version but I understand WBS relented. Of course it's kind of academic if Jankees doesn't buy it - maybe we should have a whip round for him?

As far as I was aware the issue of publishing free repaints was resolved at least for the FS9 version and a few have been put out on SOH. I'd like to know if the FS9 repaint kit will fit the FSX version because my hobby is based on painting as much as flying so, like others, I can't justify another £45 for the FSX version right now especially without a paint kit. Neverless it's clearly a masterpiece by any standards IHMO.

Best of luck to all involved

DaveQ
    'Always do sober what you say you'll do when you're drunk. It'll teach you to keep you mouth shut' - Ernest Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceWeevil View Post
    Interesting point about the (lack of) a paintkit and selling repaints. Icarus did that with his Gladiator - granted that was at the other end of the market but it still seemed .... mean? Cheeky? I'm not not sure, but I expect we'll see more of it as devs struggle to cope with rising costs and falling revenues by squeezing every last penny out of each release. I'm sure the ones that do this weigh up what they might gain in $£ against the inevitable loss of goodwill and possibly some sales.

Do we know for sure that there's not doing to be a paintkit for the FSX WBS Mustang? There was talk of selling repaints for the FS9 version but I understand WBS relented. Of course it's kind of academic if Jankees doesn't buy it - maybe we should have a whip round for him?
    Don't worry about me, I haven't bought it yet. Maybe I will, maybe I won't.
    A paintkit would indeed make me buy it, but I fear it is not to be...
    The original warbirdplan for FS9 was to sell repaints, and not allow others to paint it, but in the end they changed their mind. Maybe that will happen here too. We'll see.

As for Icarus, he sold repaints himself, but he did allow repaints by others, he even posted a few of mine on his website, so if Albert doesn't allow repaints, there's a difference there.
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

OH NO! What did I do....

You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.

gajit
    LOL - nice.

Glad to see that the list of fellow [LINESTRIKE]suckers [/LINESTRIKE][LINESTRIKE]sufferers [/LINESTRIKE] [LINESTRIKE]victims [/LINESTRIKE] [LINESTRIKE]idiots[/LINESTRIKE] puchasers is slowly growing. I was always going to buy this, regardless of what I might have posted, but may I ask what changed your mind? And WBS, now J is on board, where IS that paintkit?!

gajit
    Im still resisting having already spent £140 over the last 3 weeks on FSX products!!

Glad to see that the list of fellow [LINESTRIKE]suckers [/LINESTRIKE][LINESTRIKE]sufferers [/LINESTRIKE] [LINESTRIKE]victims [/LINESTRIKE] [LINESTRIKE]idiots[/LINESTRIKE] puchasers is slowly growing. I was always going to buy this, regardless of what I might have posted, but may I ask what changed your mind? And WBS, now J is on board, where IS that paintkit?!
    curiosity got the better of me....oh, and I wanted to reward John for all he did for us
    but your first line does describe a bit how I feel now

OK, here's a quick one, just for fun:

Johnny_T,
    Just an incredible job that you've done here....

where IS that paintkit?!
    who needs a paintkit anyway?

so, I have been flying around for a while, what do I think? A few observations:

Well, it is a very nice, good looking model that seems to fly right, and sounds nice too. It is clear that a lot of TLC has gone in to it, well done John! I will enjoy flying it!

However, with a price like this, you expect the best...

...which it isn't.
    Strangely enough, my biggest disappointment was with the textures. They used 1024x1024 textures, and as a result,
    none of the stencilling on the outside of the aircraft is readable, look at the stencils on the wings for example:

using 2048 textures would have solved this and resulted in a better look. Maybe later in an upgrade?

The bare metal exterior also suffers from what I call the 'orange peel' look, I believe this is due to baked reflections in the model?
    The Hellcat has the same. It looks great from some angles (see the shots above), but not so great from other angles (see below).
    I think I prefer spec files for reflective textures, which this pony does not use. The camouflaged ones look better.

Talking of an upgrade, I'm sure 'emergency' is the correct spelling, not 'emergancy':

Other things I'm missing is sounds with the switches in the cockpit, and an engine that need looking after, like on the Catalina, B377 and Razorback.
    Funny, I never thought I'd say that after blowing up my engines on the Cat and Jug at least 20 times, but I do, I miss it here.
    It makes it feel a bit...boring...being in the cockpit. Lots of dials that you can ignore...
    They do look a bit flat too, not the 'oh wow' of the CH FW190.

Not being able to see the exterior in the selection menu is annoying too, but apparently necessary for security reasons.

So in all, a very nice model, and I'm very happy having a Mustang razorback, but is far from being the top product the price suggests.
    There are other warbirds out there which offer far more for less money.
    Well, I think so anyway.

Now it is back to China in old '187'

I've deleted what I just posted - decided to give Albert & John a break, they know what I think!

I did some additional tinkering on Lucifer and Little Jeep:

I hope you like them, OK to post Albert?

I'll wait for a paintkit before doing more paints.

paintkit?

Have you tried support@warbirdsim.com? I've had very quick replies to all my queries - it's not always been what I wanted to hear, but props for the speed at least.

Quote Originally Posted by jankees View Post
    paintkit?
    On the FS9 thread you say that the textures are the same except for the .dds format so we can use the FS9 paintkit, right?? Currently not got the funds for this and I prefer the -D model anyway. The free A2A FSX upgrade with 2048 x 2048 .dds textures will keep me happy forever!

DaveQ
    'Always do sober what you say you'll do when you're drunk. It'll teach you to keep you mouth shut' - Ernest Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by DaveQ View Post
    On the FS9 thread you say that the textures are the same except for the .dds format so we can use the FS9 paintkit, right??
    yes, if you have that paintkit...which I don't

gajit
    Thanks to Jankees great work I decided to "invest" in the product but have to say i agree with everyone who moaned about the system.

I have never had to work so hard to spend £50 - in fact gave up serveral times. Now they have my money and after 24 hours am still not able to fly the bleeping thing.

Perhaps i will be more excited about buying something from them in the future once i get strapped in.

heydon2008
    I have ordered the boxed version of Warbirdsims P51 Mustang and i live in th united kingdom, does anyone know how long warbirdsim take to post the p51 too you?
    dont worry i'm not about to slag warbirdsim off as i think they have done a terrific job just having trouble in trcking my order and have sent countless e-mails to them with no reply

I'm sorry I pushed you over the edge, Gajit. Sad to hear that you still can't use it after spending all that money.
    Aftersales are not the strongest point of WBS I'm sorry to say.
    Sad really, I really wanted to be happy with the model, and do lots of repaints, but both the company, the price, the service, the paintkit and the model are disappointing.

I've also had a look at the paintkit, which is just a blank texture, not really a paintkit, and decided to put it on the backburner for now...so do not expect too many repaints from me either.
    What's so strange, is that John's paintkit for the A2A Mustang is much better than this one, and readily available. That Mustang is about the same, quality wise, and costs just a fraction too.

heydon2008
    do you know how long warbirdsim take to post their p51

heydon2008

Warbirdsim p51

Hi there i also "took the plunge" which seems the popular phrase to use about this model, but am still waiting to know whether warbirdsim have posted my boxed version of this aircraft, i purchased the boxed version because i am one of those old fashoned gamers who likes the tangible version of a computer manual and have it open and read it while i fly.
    But the lack of communication from warbirdsim means they may know alot about building and designing FSX addons, but have alot to learn about customer service.

gajit
    Ive not had any confirmation for 4 days re my download activation - they dont seem to have taken my money so i might be lucky

I upgraded my computer ( motherboard, cpu, RAM ) so i reinstalled the whole thing, mailed WBS for an activation, got replied that i needed a good reason to get the plane activated again, told them i upgraded the computer... Received the activation code with the mail header: "second and last activation"!
    How cool is that?

Members who have read this thread: 4