Preparing 3-Views and the Calibration Box Tute

Thread: Preparing 3-Views and the Calibration Box Tute

Preparing 3-Views and the Calibration Box Tute

I have completed a basic tutorial for the beginning modeler to help prepare your 3-views and create a calibration box. Let me know if any part of this is unclear and I will revise it.

I hope this helps.

Calibration Box Tutorial

EDIT: I have re-uploaded this tutorial for you to download and keep. Once unzipped it is a standalone .mht webpage.
    Last edited by Milton Shupe; April 6th, 2014 at 09:31.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here
    Video Tutorials - Gmax for Beginners

Well written and detailed instructions...

I would point out however that rather than "taking a screenshot" of the 3-view in your tutorial, it's much easier to right-click on the image and choose "Save Picture As"...
    Bill Leaming
    3d Modeler Max/GMax
    C & XML Gauge Programmer

Military Visualizations
    http://milviz.com

Intel® Core™ i7-3770k 4.2GHz - Crucial 16GB DDR3 - Dual Radeon HD770 1GB DDR5 (Crossfire) - Eco II Watercooling - Win7 64bit
    Intel® Core™ i7-2600k 3.4GHz - Crucial 8GB DDR3 - NVIDIA EVGA GTX-770 SC 4GB - Win7 64bit

Milton, Your tutorial is easy to follow,
    the crutial bit for me is ensuring my images are exactly the proportion of the dimensions given in the specs, but I am unclear how the figures given in aircraft specs are determined,
    by which I mean, is aircraft length the length of the main body or
    does the given aircraft length include small parts that protrude beyond the nose and tail?

I learnt how to use the material navigator, I hadn't managed to pick that up previously.
    Thanks

Ideally, you can find a 3-view that shows you what is being measured like the attached.

If not, and you have a more clear cut measurement, like wing span (width), you can extrapolate to find the length and verify the stated length measurement.

Use the Tape Measure as necessary to validate your calculations.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Yes, I see now, the drawings and 3 view images I am finding on the net are too crude to be of much use.

Awesome... I would love to tinker with this. There are so many aircraft I'd love to build!

Just out of curiosity, are the programs needed to do this expensive, or are they freeware?

SOH-CM-2013
    Madison County, Iowa (3rd Corn Patch On The Left)

Cost Vs Benefits

Quote Originally Posted by airattackimages View Post
    ...Awesome... I would love to tinker with this. There are so many aircraft I'd love to build! Just out of curiosity, are the programs needed to do this expensive, or are they freeware?...

If I may interject...

GMax is freeware, well-respected, and used by the BEST of our S-O-H crafters. I'm still trying to grasp it's basic use - but then, I'm an old man with ADD. LOL !

You can download it here:

www.turbosquid.com/gmax

After THAT, the sky is the limit as far as what you're looking to do; Some folks are still skinning beautiful aircraft and infrastructure with M$ Paint !

I personally use Paint Shop Pro Ver 9 - almost ANY good paint program that can save files in BMP and JPG format will work. The complexity, cost, and options are my limiting factors. I bought it off Amazon.com several years ago on the cheap - deals are available if you look around.

Best
    SC

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PS - THANK YOU, Mr Schupe ! Once again, you have provided a gateway into resources I couldn't easily find ! :salute:
    "...And, When I died, They washed me out of the turret with a hose..."

Quote Originally Posted by airattackimages View Post
    Awesome... I would love to tinker with this. There are so many aircraft I'd love to build!

Just out of curiosity, are the programs needed to do this expensive, or are they freeware?
    If you have FS2002, FS2004, or FSX full version, gmax and the necessary supporting software and installation instructions you already have. Otherwise download as per the suggestion above.

If you wish to develop for FSX, go to FSDeveloper and look for all the hints and tips and support you need.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Quote Originally Posted by sc7500 View Post
    [COLOR=blue][I]
    If I may interject...

snipped ...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PS - THANK YOU, Mr Schupe ! Once again, you have provided a gateway into resources I couldn't easily find ! :salute:
    You bet! All you have to do is ask
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

And again, about setting up precise backdrops, Finn did this tutorial some years ago ... pretty interesting:

EDIT: I have uploaded Finn's tutorials to the SOH Library as follows:

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...&keyword=neiuk

These are video Gmax tutorials done by Finn Neiuk located in the SOH Library.

multismooth.zip

smoothbreak.zip

smoothturn.zip

backdrops.zip

Find them here: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...1&keyword=gmax
    Last edited by Milton Shupe; April 6th, 2014 at 09:38.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Updated links to tutorials since my website is no longer available.

Hope this helps.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here