The Ongoing Mystery Aircraft Thread Part Deux. - Page 916

Thread: The Ongoing Mystery Aircraft Thread Part Deux.

from a world-wide well-known flyer
    _
    gX

No takers on the Udet U.13?

apparently not

It's the U.13
    _
    gX

Then let's try this twin-boomer.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1F384884-B158-434C-B69C-740250189D6C.jpg  

You were probably wondering why I didn't jump at Uli's nice floater - quite simply, I didn't know it ! Apart from that rather curious and sadly incomplete 'yellow' website, there is not much info on inter-war German aviation, at least not in English.

Well I do have the full story on Robert's twin-boomer. It's the first prototype - F-AKCA - of the SPCA III. (the second prototype had wing fillets on the trailing edge). Mike (Pommehomme) kindly obtained for me a copy of Yves Laget's excellent SPCA book, and my French is just about good enough....

I'm impressed, Mike!
    Of course it is the SPCA.
    Didn't even know that there was a difference between the two aircraft except for the engines. That must be a great book!

Over to Scotland.

Quote Originally Posted by fabulousfour View Post
    I'm impressed, Mike! That must be a great book!
    I suspect that it is, Robert, but I can't say for certain as I didn't read it before sending it on to Mike! However, having regard to how poorly it was packaged for shipping, I don't think that its publisher paid it the respect that its content quality would seem to deserve.

Well apart from one slightly crumpled corner, it is just fine, and the contents make it all worthwhile.

Got a busy day ahead, so will recycle an entry from long ago. I rather like this machine, although it does look a bit like the result of an illicit liaison between a Beaufighter and a DC-2.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mishmash.jpg  

And this is the Piaggio P.111 from Thompson's Italian aircraft book that Lefty kindly mailed to me years ago and is still a favorite in my library.

Indeed it is the one-off Piaggio, Kevin. Glad you're still finding that book useful !

Over to Texas - - is it warming up over there yet ?

Thanks Mike. Yes, the heat is headed this way like a light in a narrow train tunnel.

Here is a scrubby bipe.

Purpose built for a long distance flight.

not a good airfield with all the undergrowth
    _
    gX

This was a much altered Curtiss with a common OX-5 engine. The well-known pilot at the time was attempting to fly from Mexico to Russia!

Las Vegas was one of the stops...

Flight was in 1921. Made it as far as Alaska before heavy winds destroyed the airplane while it was on the ground.

This is the Bach Polar Bear or Bach-Prest Polar Bear.

Good read here:

http://www.sitnews.us/Kiffer/Prest/122309_prest.html

Open board-

On with this nice biplane.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 4E8D24B7-69DB-42BC-940E-949E8D463303.jpg  

For some reason, something yelled 'Czech' at me ! Went to my rather tatty copy of the Letadla bible (don't think bookbinding was a Czech speciality) and found the Aero A-11J with Walter Jupiter motor.

Well done, Mike!
    It is the single Aero A.11 with a radial engine.

Over to Scotland.

Thanks Robert
    Here's another easy one, but not often seen.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails gipsy.jpg  

Might that be the Airspeed Oxford IV with the experimental Gipsy Queen IV inline engines? It's a guess because I can't find a picture of the aeroplane online and I don't have H.A.Taylor's book.

SOH-CM-2023
    I think the engines would be Queen II's if Military or Gipsy Six Series 2 if civil & have CSU's & Constant speed props. Gipsy Six series I in Rapides & Miles a/c.
    Anyway how is France these day Mike? Now moving to Cheltenham having found a bungalow!
    Keep up the good work, I'm still surprised how many unknown aircraft have been built!
    Keith

Yes Mike - not proceeded with because they had so many Cheetah engines lying around, apparently.
    Over to you

Thank you, Mike. Here's something a little more modern.

Maybe the Lucas L.6, Mike?